Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Am I Totally Off The Mark With The Following???
I watched five or so videos of the 7600 being disassembled. The process looked easy enough that I said to myself,
"If I owned one of these and I wanted to travel with it, especially by commercial airline, I'd take it down, and trans-
port it in a case that has normal suitcase proportions." I also thought that if I owned one, I'd add barrels in different
calibers! Say the original rifle was a .270, why not add a .35 Whelen and a .243 Win? I look forward to reading your
posts guys!

Last edited by BigFiveJack; 03/16/22.

Jack
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
As long as the bolt head spaced correctly.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Used to make bbl extensions to do swaps

https://www.lumleyarms.com/7600-7615

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I went down the rabbit hole of switch barrel guns via the Savage 110 and decided after I'd been at it for awhile that rezeroing a single scope for each different barrel was impractical. Rezeroing was a PITA, so each barrel then got its own dedicated pre-zeroed scope in QR mounts in order to work well. That added the additional expense of more scopes and QR mounts, so I ran the number and decided that for me the switch barrel thing was more of a hassle than it was worth. Of course the scope swapping wouldn't be part of the process if you only use open sights that are installed on each barrel, but I'm not an open sight guy if optics are a viable option.

Not saying that it can't be done, but.............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plus the cost of barrels.

I'd just as soon sen the difference and have a bun.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 03/17/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I appreciate the answers very much. Thank you everyone!

Jack
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I too went down this rabbit hole when my smith did my 9.3x62 7600. We did a lot of research and looked at lumley quite a bit. It’s a very doable option, especially with open sights like Remguy mentioned. My idea was to have one with open sights and one scoped with QD rings so re-zeroing wouldn’t be an issue. I too though decided to keep it one dedicated gun. Do you guys feel there could be a market for this in the U.S.?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by R_Blat
I too went down this rabbit hole when my smith did my 9.3x62 7600. We did a lot of research and looked at lumley quite a bit. It’s a very doable option, especially with open sights like Remguy mentioned. My idea was to have one with open sights and one scoped with QD rings so re-zeroing wouldn’t be an issue. I too though decided to keep it one dedicated gun. Do you guys feel there could be a market for this in the U.S.?

I don't think that there is a very large market for take-down or switch-barrel rifles in the U.S. in 2022.

Take-downs were practical/popular when people traveled by passenger rail 100 years ago, but that was then and this is now.

Switch-barrel rifles are a concept that is better on paper than in practice, unless you're using barrel mounted open sights and QR mounts that allow the open sights to be used with the scope dismounted.

This has been my experience, but as with many things, YMMV.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with 260.
It sounds good.
People buy take down capable guns and talk about it.
But how many actually buy a Blaser, and 4 barrels, then use
it for everything centerfire? Using the various barrels where
each is "best".

The opposing line of thinking is that a 30-06, shooting a decent
180gr bullet, is better than adequate for damn near everything.

And only one gun is needed for all game hunting.

That argument makes more sense. (Even better if there is bullet flexibility)

Ironically, most of us who make that argument have more than one rifle.
Many, more than one 30-06 blush

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I agree with 260.
It sounds good.
People buy take down capable guns and talk about it.
But how many actually buy a Blaser, and 4 barrels, then use
it for everything centerfire? Using the various barrels where
each is "best".

The opposing line of thinking is that a 30-06, shooting a decent
180gr bullet, is better than adequate for damn near everything.

And only one gun is needed for all game hunting.

That argument makes more sense. (Even better if there is bullet flexibility)

Ironically, most of us who make that argument have more than one rifle.
Many, more than one 30-06 blush

Yep,

Years ago contemplating what a good "all-around/general purpose" rifle would be I decided on a 20" barreled .308. I kind of liked the Scout rifle concept but none of the ones I had seen really were what I was looking for. I put together a 20" stainless T3 .308 (before they offered that as a factory option) and put it in an Edge stock. Topped it with a little 2.5-10 NF. Shooting 155 Scenars I have found it works quite well for a great many things. Not ideal as a long range gun due to the very light weight, and the fact that it is not easy to shoot as precisely as a 9 pound rifle, but for the majority of things it does great. It works well for elk to coyotes and even jackrabbits..

I personally would go this route than a switch barrel type. That said, everyone has things that make them happy and if having a gun that they can use in theory, even if they never do use it (which I think is the case for many guys and their "Alaska/Idaho/Montana/Africa rifles" makes them happy, then hey why not.

I just tend to grab the same two or three rifles each time year after year, but to each their own.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, we don't really want one gun for every situation. We want one different gun, for every possible situation, even ones we will never find ourselves in. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1Longbow, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 219DW, 204guy, 52 invisible), 1,939 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,275
Posts18,525,516
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.