Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
dh1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This stock came attached to a Mod 70 Stainless Classic BOSS with a G81XXX serial number. Action fit tight and barrel was centered and floated. Any idea what year or years it was used? It has an unmarked plastic butt plate, no ID on the grip gap, and no identifying marks anywhere. I have no idea on the purpose or meaning of the pie slice puncture on the grip cap either. Also has stainless sling studs.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Factory post ‘64 1960’s.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Makes you wonder if they thought it was an upgrade over the tupperware. "Things that make you go hmmmmm"

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The pie slice puncture might be an indexing puncture.
I have several Ted Williams shotguns, made by Winchester, from the early 70's. The grip caps had aa insert in them. When 2 of them fell off, the same pie slice puncture was showing.
Not familiar with Winchester stocks, just an observation from my inventory.

dh1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies. I put it back in a tupperware stock, I think it was the right thing to do. I’ll look into grip caps.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Post 63 model Winchester 70 Serial Numbers were jumped up to 700K forward. In 1968 the G prefix was added as otherwise serial numbers continued ongoing & undisrupted. In 1991, the 'backfill' G prefix from Sn 1 to presumably maxing out at whatever the G prefix post '68 serialization began. If you're not confused, kindly re-read! smile POP Quiz to follow!

Best info I've seen: Sn G75K to G120K date to 1994. See below correct stock on a Super Express Model of the same purported year, G113K serial number. Your stock 'aesthetics" don't appear suggestive of '90ies vintage at all. Bit of a conundrum. From appearance alone IF factory, perhaps suggestive of Model 70- early post '64 push feed. Believe the "Classic term in your action as designating CRF? Further believe your metal, '94 was intro year of such "stainless Classic" 'as I recall". Stock 'fit', can be adjusted & use of bedding material can fill in internal voids.
I'll do a bit more research and advise if productive! smile
Hope this info helps!
Good Luck, Best & Just my take...!
John

Attached Images
R280-3U.jpg (26.05 KB, 144 downloads)
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
John,

The boss wasn’t cataloged until 1995 so it’s hard to say exactly. This may be one of the instances when Winchester 70s serial number/date range is off by a little bit. But I would say that it was made in late ‘94 or ‘95.

The stock is a post ‘64 mid 1960s era stock that someone most likely put stainless studs on to match the classic stainless boss barreled action they upgraded from the tupperware to “antique” wood.

smile

dh1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Should there be a Winchester styled W over the screw and pie slice in the grip cap? And should the grip cap even be on this stock. I’m relying on googlfu pics to figure it out.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
John,

The boss wasn’t cataloged until 1995 so it’s hard to say exactly. This may be one of the instances when Winchester 70s serial number/date range is off by a little bit. But I would say that it was made in late ‘94 or ‘95.

The stock is a post ‘64 mid 1960s era stock that someone most likely put stainless studs on to match the classic stainless boss barreled action they upgraded from the tupperware to “antique” wood.

smile

They went backwards, not upgrading to that stock..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dh1
Should there be a Winchester styled W over the screw and pie slice in the grip cap? And should the grip cap even be on this stock. I’m relying on googlfu pics to figure it out.

Looks that way.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Also looks like that stock can be narrowed down to ‘64 or ‘65 based on the checkering.

BSA - grin

IC B3

dh1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dh1

Looks that way.

Also looks like that stock can be narrowed down to ‘64 or ‘65 based on the checkering.

BSA - grin

Good info. Sorry I was being mean about the stock. A buddy has a 1965 and that sucker looks so bad. The freefloat is huge and looks like winchester whittled the barrel channel out with a pocket knife. The rifle shoots great, or better than great, but man the stock...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by dh1

Looks that way.

BSA - grin

Good info. Sorry I was being mean about the stock. A buddy has a 1965 and that sucker looks so bad. The freefloat is huge and looks like winchester whittled the barrel channel out with a pocket knife. The rifle shoots great, or better than great, but man the stock...

I have a 65 in 264 and the barrel channel looks the same way. Terrible craftsmanship in that era compared to just a few years earlier.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
dh1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I doubt I’ll ever have use for this. Any of you interested in it before I post it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW, I have that exact stock. It was on a rifle my father purchased in '64 or 65. SN is 7XX,XXX.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.