-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh yeah, Sims got them tags....he is crooked A.F.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lest we forget that he has those hay fields that the Elk run back and forth to and grow huge....seen a 392" bull come out of there before.

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Lyons and NMGF gave him a pretty sweet deal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lyons is crooked too. He traded that land deal that got reversed.
I cante remember what the ranchers name was in the black lake area around Ocate is. But Lyons traded that state land up there for that desert land around Bernallio. Locals that had hunted that area for generation threw a big enough fit that it was reversed.
How would someone think that pristine country that holds Elk, Mule Deer, Bear and other game is equal to land only fit for coyotes at best.
Lyons is lucky he didn't get hung in his front yard for that one....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gonzaga

Leo Sims never got a bighorn tag. Not one. They wouldn’t give it to him unless he relinquished the state lease agreement he weaseled into and he wouldn’t do it. He sold his ranch about 7 years ago and actually died a short time later

IC B2

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Am I remembering right that you hunted the ranch?

If so, what are the rams like now?

Originally Posted by huntsonora
Originally Posted by gonzaga

Leo Sims never got a bighorn tag. Not one. They wouldn’t give it to him unless he relinquished the state lease agreement he weaseled into and he wouldn’t do it. He sold his ranch about 7 years ago and actually died a short time later

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a video somewhere of those bighorn down there....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just put in for Desert Ram: 2nd choice for Rockys.
Coues, Ibex, barbary and oryx too. I said FÜCK YOU to the elk in 16B this year.

I am not liking my odds, nor am I liking the interest I gotta pay for such a low odds draw. Someone has to draw though...I think there is only one desert tag given out non-residents in NM???

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes, 1 in the NR draw.

Going to be interesting to see if fuel prices, inflation and people not having a pocket full of ‘rona bucks has any affect on numbers. Thanks to 2 pod casts and 30,000 more apps, one of my go to elk hunts odds was almost cut in half.

Thanks for the contribution.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I put in for deer (bow), javelina, cow elk and oryx.

Hoping to get at least one tag this year instead of the big goose egg of last year.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Ya, hopefully I do better than 0/7 again. Changed things up this year on a few hunts so we’ll see. Some of my choices last year were almost a guarantee till last year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I did my usual stuff, trying to mix and match with other states dates.

Lots of the hunts I want a no guided NR doesn't even have an available tag to even try to get.

I'll likely just end up with a deer tag, I hope...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Ya, we hose the DIY NR.

There will be another push to eliminate the outfitter pool next year, but it’s an uphill fight for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I gotta admit, I am trying for the outfitter pool for barbary and coues. Not to have a guide, but for the better draw odds. I'll do the 2 day thing to be legal, then strike out on my own.

I can sympthasize with NM residents on the outfitter pool thing and hope it goes away, despite my taking advantage of it. It is what it is...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, at least I won't be competing against you dude....grin.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I have a cow elk hunt scheduled this year with an outfitter in NM. How does that figure into this conversation?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I even look at the outfitter pool, but it doesn’t really help me.

I’d like to see a straight 87/13 split. 13% would give the NR’s 3 tags in the hunts that have 25, like Ibex etc. without any of the round up problems. Doesn’t answer the sheep problem, but I have my doubts that will get changed.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I gotta admit, I am trying for the outfitter pool for barbary and coues. Not to have a guide, but for the better draw odds. I'll do the 2 day thing to be legal, then strike out on my own.

I can sympthasize with NM residents on the outfitter pool thing and hope it goes away, despite my taking advantage of it. It is what it is...

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
If you’re already scheduled, I’d guess that’s with a LO authorization and those have no affect the R/NR quota.

Eta; just remembered, it has to be an authorization, NR are not eligible for antlerless tags. I wish that would change too. ( for selfish reasons)
Originally Posted by Deans
I have a cow elk hunt scheduled this year with an outfitter in NM. How does that figure into this conversation?

Last edited by SLM; 03/15/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It looks like NM is trying to make bighorn sheep a resident only thing, according to some recent reports. I believe a formal proposal has been made and letters have been sent to the commissioners. That would increase the resident pool by 7(?) Bighorn tags I believe.

I doubt I would ever draw the one non guided non resident desert tag so I guess this would keep me from paying interest on a $3,173 bill for 2 months a year...I really wouldn't have an issue seeing this get passed, other than the perception that sheep numbers are so low that they're reducing opportunity overall. That isn't really what is happening, but I suspect some will interpret it that way.

I suspect the outfitters will put a hell of a fight up though. We will see.

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
It will be interesting to see what the AG says on this. The outfitting industry lost one battle this year already. This goes back years to the Terk injunction when for years, NR’s at times were drawing almost all the sheep tags.

They say the majority of the residents book with an outfitter on both sheep anyways, so probably not a big hit to them?

This is the verbiage in question, specifically time frame.

For the purposes of Chapter 17 NMSA 1978:

A. “hunt code” means a description used to identify and define the species, weapon type and time frame authorized for a specific hunt;

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,992
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.