Hop To
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And I pass the various signs every day that say “ X number of motorcyclist killed since xxxx”

Its always interesting when you are pulling a trailer load of something, round the curves meeting a carclub of some type and a bicyclist thrown in the mix, all in your lane and you can’t hug the wall because of fallen rocks.

90% of the motorcyclists are so old they have no business riding a bike.

I love getting behind a Lambo that thinks he can pull away from my GMC truck only to find out he can’t. It does make for a quicker trip home for supper though.

I always feel confident that if I do have a collision, my truck and trailer at the speed limit in the proper lane will win the battle.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 03/19/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll bite, what truck do you have?

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thirty-plus years ago my only transportation was motorcycles, I rode the Hill Country so often I could prob’ly still ride them blindfolded.

Every weekend the ambulance crew in Leakey would have to go get someone who ran off the road on Vanderpool Mt .

Two things happened, DPS got serious and started impounding the motorcycles of the egregious offenders, more’n that however was the rise of hordes of Harley riding Boomers, slow moving rafts of Harleys like clogged arteries.

Most of them Boomers have moved on now, doesn’t seem to be as many motorcycles of any description out there as there used to be, not even sportbikes.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing in that video is breaking the law, reckless or have anything to do with bicycles, sports cars or Lamborghini eating GMC’s, but the ‘fire never disappoints LOL

Dave

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I liked that video. Thanks!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
RDW,

Hello.

Not to sound negative but you should be in at least one gear lower very likely two gears lower. I can tell by how long it took the bike to lug-out that gear, 3rd gear?,

Get your down-shifts in early, track through the corner at 7-8000 revs.

I can see your left hand reaching at least three fingers over the clutch lever, that shows you aren't braking very hard, adjust your lever back close to the bar so that you can work it with one finger. That way you keep a much better grip on the bars. I use my index but many use their middle finger, middle always felt weird to me.

Do the same thing with your front brake lever, having to reach off the bars is giving an insecure feeling with just your thumb hooked on the throttle.
Always push on the bars with the palm rather than pull with your fingers, that way you train your brain/fingers to attend to the clutch/throttle/front lever. Steer left, push left - steer right , push right.

Then practice some front braking squeezing the brake harder and harder, you'll quickly see that when braking hard you can't take the palm of your hand off the bar due to the high G-forces you'll be under. You'll start feeling your butt lifting off the seat, front braking G-forces trying to throw you over the bars.

Keep your elbows up in ''push-up position'' under hard braking, known as attack position.

Do these practice moves in a straight line, then start working on getting your down-shifts in early.

When going through the corner reach your thumb over to the left and steady it on that part of the throttle assembly, it will help you stay smooth on throttle input.

Again, not trying to sound negative, takes a brave person to get out there, all the best to you.

p.s. stop riding fast on Texas country roads, hitting a 200lb. deer will make you sad.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Cool video shots!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The curves are so tight a sports car can’t go much faster than a truck.

There have been more car clubs and less Motorcycles in the past few years.

LOL to RDW, he doesn’t frequent the spots. Ride it often enough, you’ll encounter the wreckless, lane incursions, rocks on the road, pedal bikes, old bastards on big bikes, and my fire breathing white GMC truck with a Jesus sticker on the back window.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 03/19/22.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
when i lived down thatta way i had a 71 camaro. i found out what it could and couldn't do.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have two brother in laws killed on motorcycles, it’s dangerous on the highways.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, but that's a hard, "NO!".
I've made it 71+ years with my hide intact (minus a few surgical scars!). No "road rash" for me due to a "murder"-cycle! LOL!

I've wanted a bike my whole life, but I know me and my propensities. I just scare the crap out of me on a bike.
My sister and bil have been all over the US on bikes.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Ronnie! Get off that thing and get back in the shop Dude! You got grip frames and hammers to make Son!!!😄

RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
RDW,

Hello.

Not to sound negative but you should be in at least one

I don’t mind criticism, Mike, I am new at track riding but I think your comments on this post were intended for the other video.

That track is 1.3 miles and pretty much a one gear track, second on my R1. Rarely first and that is only when in traffic before the hairpin, about 30 mph. I can use third but it’s really not needed, second will carry me well past 125 and that is more than plenty on the single short straight.

Dave

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
More likely a hog than a deer. They are low to the ground and come out of nowhere. I narrowly missed one in my f250 here today in East Texas. It would have meant major suspension damage on the f250. It probably would have meant death on a motorcycle

Last edited by skfullen; 03/19/22.

The original Frito Bandito!
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skfullen
More likely a hog than a deer. They are low to the ground and come out of nowhere. I narrowly missed one in my f250 here today in East Texas. It would have meant major suspension damage on the f250. It probably would have meant death on a motorcycle

That's no lie, I have videos of lots of deer on Twisted Sisters, an Elk/Sika, and a huge hog near home. The four leg bassturds are everywhere and yes, there is always the chance I will tag one an go down, get hurt or die.

Here is the deal, my Dad died on a bike when I was 13, out of anger but that's the truth.

I decided to get back on a bike in 2019 because four family members and three friends got Cancer or Cancer came back in a span of 18 months: My Mom, my Mom's best friend living with her, Stepsister, Aunt and three coworkers. None of these people are blood related, even my family.

I said fk'it, I may be next and I quite simply plan to live my best life because when it's time to go I may not have a say in it.

Dave

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Thirty-plus years ago my only transportation was motorcycles, I rode the Hill Country so often I could prob’ly still ride them blindfolded.

Every weekend the ambulance crew in Leakey would have to go get someone who ran off the road on Vanderpool Mt .

Two things happened, DPS got serious and started impounding the motorcycles of the egregious offenders, more’n that however was the rise of hordes of Harley riding Boomers, slow moving rafts of Harleys like clogged arteries.

Most of them Boomers have moved on now, doesn’t seem to be as many motorcycles of any description out there as there used to be, not even sportbikes.

When we first moved out here, the road between Bandera and Hondo was clogged with long lines of motorcycle riders. I'd guesstimate the motorcycle traffic is about a 20th of what it was back in those days.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The worst I've seen is some of the idiocy on the county roads about this time of year. Stuff like singles or groups taking up the opposing lane on curves, dangerous short sight distance passing, and either going way too fast or way too slow. I always think of hill country motorcyclists as America's kamikazes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1234, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,764
Posts18,495,621
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.