Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Heeler Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Read on Eastmans that Wyoming just passed a 90/10 R/NR split for bighorn, moose, bison, and goats. It was also mentioned that changes could be coming down the pile for elk, deer, and antelope also.

Will there be any changes to the draw/point system as well?

He went over yonder way
GB1

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Who knows what will happen with the points system. If they fugg it up, more hunters will flock to Colorado and MT. I suppose the state has every right to manage its game.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WAM
I suppose the state has every right to manage its game.

The SCOTUS has actually made a ruling that the game in the individual states belongs to the residents of those states and the state themselves has not only the authority to manage the game for the residents of the states but also the responsibility to do so. This came around when USO Outfitters tried to sue AZ and UT to make them issue more non-resident tags. USO tried to claim that since they sold hunts that makes the game a commodity across the state lines and that the Feds regulates interstate commerce. Went to SCOTUs and SCOTUS told USO to pound sand.

WY is free to do what they want with their tags for WY hunting seasons.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Preference points are a ponzi scheme. A straight lottery, or bonus points (if you have 4 bonus points you get 4 entries into the draw), would be better than Preference points.

Perhaps they could make sheep once in a lifetime if filled, or push the waiting period to begin applying after a successful draw to 10yrs.

But don't forget, we need more hunters....it's a dying activity lol

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Exactly, our application numbers went up over 100,000 over the past 3 years, curios to see what this year brings.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Let me ask you this, ive been a Montana resident for 30 years and have applied for moose, sheep and goat and have max points on all 3 for 30 years and have never drawn any of the 3 so should a NR get a tag before me?
I've hunted NM, Nevada and Wyoming as a NR and decided long ago its there game im just playing it im not a NR gonna tell them how to do things just because I don't like it.
Isn't it the wyoming politicians job to do what there resident voters want? Like it or not it is.

Last edited by sherm_61; 03/20/22.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Let me ask you this, ive been a Montana resident for 30 years and have applied for moose, sheep and goat and have max points on all 3 for 30 years and have never drawn any of the 3 so should a NR get a tag before me?
I've hunted NM, Nevada and Wyoming as a NR and decided long ago its there game im just playing it im not a NR gonna tell them how to do things just because I don't like it.
Isn't it the wyoming politicians job to do what there resident voters want? Like it or not it is.

I agree, and as numbers keep going up, I’d bet more sates start tightening up even more as residents start raising hell about not ever drawing. I know here there’s a bunch of push to go 90/10.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Preference points are a ponzi scheme. A straight lottery, or bonus points (if you have 4 bonus points you get 4 entries into the draw), would be better than Preference points.

Perhaps they could make sheep once in a lifetime if filled, or push the waiting period to begin applying after a successful draw to 10yrs.

A straight lottery, IMO, is the fairest way to go about it. I hate all point schemes and play that game in way too many states. I'm also fine with NR quotas, but think there'll be negative consequences down the road for tightening them too much. Heck, I'd gladly give up lots of OIL species opportunity for more pronghorn, deer, elk NR tags.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SLM

I agree, and as numbers keep going up, I’d bet more sates start tightening up even more as residents start raising hell about not ever drawing. I know here there’s a bunch of push to go 90/10.

I sure hope NM goes 90/10 and the outfitters can fend for themselves!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

They did make all 5 OIL now and unless you have PP for sheep or moose you are out of future drawings . No more waiting period.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by pointer

A straight lottery, IMO, is the fairest way to go about it. I hate all point schemes and play that game in way too many states. I'm also fine with NR quotas, but think there'll be negative consequences down the road for tightening them too much. Heck, I'd gladly give up lots of OIL species opportunity for more pronghorn, deer, elk NR tags.

I believe Matzinger drew 2 sheep tags in Montana in 9 years, how's that fair especially when you are suppose to wait 7 years to even apply after his first one.
[bleep] house luck hmmmm

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Every resident I know is in agreement of 90/10 and many of us even a slightly higher NR quota. A lot of ( definitely not all) guides/outfitters I’ve talked to are not to worried about going out of business if it were to change as the NMCoOG touts, nor will many small communities whither away if changed.

In our political climate it is definitely an uphill battle though.

Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by SLM

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SLM
Every resident I know is in agreement of 90/10 and many of us even a slightly higher NR quota. A lot of ( definitely not all) guides/outfitters I’ve talked to are not to worried about going out of business if it were to change as the NMCoOG touts, nor will many small communities whither away if changed.

In our political climate it is definitely an uphill battle though.

Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by SLM

I’m in full agreement with you. I’m sure the outfitters will be fine. I was just hoping if it goes 90/10 there won’t be an outfitter pool anymore so as a DIY NR tag allotments actually increase.

As for WY the residents definitely are entitled to this change and OIL makes sense also.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am glad that I am no longer playing this game. I hope the residents are happy to have to pay more for their permits, if they shut off the NR cash cow. Non-resident fees pay a lot of the freight for these states.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've played the game & won. Drew a WY bull moose tag years ago as a NR. I drew an Oryx tag in NM for the Stallion Range at White Sands on my 1st try. Played the game here in CO & drew both bighorn sheep & mtn goat tags. Have not drawn a CO moose or desert bighorn but I'm still trying. My days of drawing out of state tags are numbered. Once I draw a WY antelope buck tag that will end it. Then nothing but OTC out of state tags for me.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I am glad that I am no longer playing this game. I hope the residents are happy to have to pay more for their permits, if they shut off the NR cash cow. Non-resident fees pay a lot of the freight for these states.

Can non-residents hunt bighorn sheep in Nebraska?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I dont get why the resident non-resident arguement turns into money. Who gives a [bleep] about how much money, if wyoming can make it work good for them

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nonresident $ is quite important to the game and fish.

Molon Labe
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by WAM
I suppose the state has every right to manage its game.

The SCOTUS has actually made a ruling that the game in the individual states belongs to the residents of those states and the state themselves has not only the authority to manage the game for the residents of the states but also the responsibility to do so. This came around when USO Outfitters tried to sue AZ and UT to make them issue more non-resident tags. USO tried to claim that since they sold hunts that makes the game a commodity across the state lines and that the Feds regulates interstate commerce. Went to SCOTUs and SCOTUS told USO to pound sand.

WY is free to do what they want with their tags for WY hunting seasons.

Mac,
SCOTUS made that decision 175 years ago. It has been affirmed and clarified multiple times since, the US Outfitters series of lawsuits against NM, AZ, UT, and CO affirmed it once again.

As a caveat, the courts have said Congress implicitly (as opposed to explicitly) gave the states the authority to manage wildlife, but Congress ultimately has the right to manage wildlife. Congress cannot arbitrarily take over management of wildlife, but must have specific reason, for specific species or class of species, with a specific legal and science based process to remove management authority from the states. The most well known is the Migratory Bird Act and the Endangered Species Act. In both of those Congressional Acts, Congress still wrote the law in a manner to give some deference for management to the states.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
No non residents in Nebraska. Only once in a lifetime can you win the lottery, as 2021 season.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 65 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,437
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.