Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#17067784 03/16/22
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I recently bought some green tip 5.56 ammo. It was the same price as regular FMJ, so i thought I'd give it a try. What kind of real world difference could expect out of the green tip as opposed to regular FMJ?

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2-3 moa in most rifles/carbines etc.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

I wasn't really thinking in terms of accuracy. I was wondering more about terminal performance. Do they really penetrate hard surfaces better?

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 03/16/22.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by 79S

I wasn't really thinking in terms of accuracy. I was wondering more about terminal performance. Do they really penetrate hard surfaces better?

Not really.
It was designed to meet the requirements of specific NATO that's like shooting through a car door at 800 meters. In that test the M855 out performs M193.

When it comes to shooting through armor plates up close M193 out performs M855.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Here are a few accuracy examples from various uppers,

M855 center target, 100 yards,
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Another M855 target at 100 yards,

M855 at 100 yards, pistol is a little tougher to shoot.

M855 at 100 yards,

M855 top left, 100 yards,

M855 left target, 100 yards, (two 3-shot groups with sight adjustment)

M855, left target, 100 yards, BCM 14.5" SOCOM upper

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've shot my 1/2" thick AR 500 steel torso with M193, and M855 at close range (50 yards). Both projectiles took a small chunk out of the steel.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I've shot my 1/2" thick AR 500 steel torso with M193, and M855 at close range (50 yards). Both projectiles took a small chunk out of the steel.

Half inch is a good chunk of steel. A Level 3 plate is typically closer to quarter inch.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here are a few accuracy examples from various uppers,

M855 center target, 100 yards,

Another M855 target at 100 yards,

M855 at 100 yards, pistol is a little tougher to shoot.

M855 at 100 yards,

M855 top left, 100 yards,

M855 left target, 100 yards, (two 3-shot groups with sight adjustment)

M855, left target, 100 yards, BCM 14.5" SOCOM upper

I'm glad to see the 53gr Vmax in the mix. Those bullets have been shooting damn well for me. As for the m855 green tip, my buddy swears by them in his pre ban bushmaster. They shoot much better than m193. Good stuff montanamarine.. Here's a little excerpt from wikipedia:

"There has been much debate of the allegedly poor performance of the bullet on target in regard to stopping power, lethality, and range. Some of this criticism has been used to advocate an intermediate-sized cartridge between the 5.56 and 7.62 NATO sizes[40] while criticisms of poor barrier penetration, and accuracy have been used to support the M855A1 EPR round.[4] Arguably, the criticisms about range, accuracy and lethality are related to the change in barrel length and twist between the M16 and M4. The earlier 5.56 rounds (M855/SS109 and the original M193) were optimized for a 20-inch (51 cm) barrel with a 1:12 twist. The shorter 14.5-inch (37 cm) barrel of the M4 carbine (with a 1:7 twist) generates lower muzzle velocity, reducing the likelihood that the bullet will upset (yaw, fragment, or expand) in the target and resulting in less significant wounds.

Combat operations the past few months have again highlighted terminal performance deficiencies with 5.56x45mm 62 gr. M855 FMJ. These problems have primarily been manifested as inadequate incapacitation of enemy forces despite their being hit multiple times by M855 bullets. These failures appear to be associated with the bullets exiting the body of the enemy soldier without yawing or fragmenting. This failure to yaw and fragment can be caused by reduced impact velocities as when fired from short barrel weapons or when the range increases. It can also occur when the bullets pass through only minimal tissue, such as a limb or the chest of a thin, malnourished individual, as the bullet may exit the body before it has a chance to yaw and fragment. In addition, bullets of the SS109/M855 type are manufactured by many countries in numerous production plants. Although all SS109/M855 types must be 62 gr. FMJ bullets constructed with a steel penetrator in the nose, the composition, thickness, and relative weights of the jackets, penetrators, and cores are quite variable, as are the types and position of the cannelures. Because of the significant differences in construction between bullets within the SS109/M855 category, terminal performance is quite variable—with differences noted in yaw, fragmentation, and penetration depths."

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not a fan of M855. Terrible accuracy variance across lots/makers. Usually M193 shoots better. But again, depending on who made it.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I'm not a fan of M855. Terrible accuracy variance across lots/makers. Usually M193 shoots better. But again, depending on who made it.

My goto in Lakecity M193 in the can on strippers.
The only M855 I'll buy anymore is IMI. IME it's the most consistent of today's green tip.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone

When the M855 first came out, it shot so good that the Marine Corps had to up the qual scores for Expert/Sharpshooter/Marksman. My personal scores went from low Expert to high Expert.

Nowadays, it is a crap shoot.

Some of the best I've seen lately is made by GGG ammo made in Lithuania. Not always available, but Iraq Veteran 8888 was shooting it on one of their rifle review vids, getting sub-moa out to 600 yards through an AR-15.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Makes me wonder if the lowering of quality control was deliberate.

Would an off-balance bullet yaw faster on impact? Gaining lethality over intrinsic accuracy, but still 'minute of torso' out to 300+ yards?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When the M855 first came out, it shot so good that the Marine Corps had to up the qual scores for Expert/Sharpshooter/Marksman.

Interesting. My most accurate green tip (by alot) predates M855. General Dynamics (IVI headstamp), in cans labeled SS109.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Sam_H
When the M855 first came out, it shot so good that the Marine Corps had to up the qual scores for Expert/Sharpshooter/Marksman.

Interesting. My most accurate green tip (by alot) predates M855. General Dynamics (IVI headstamp), in cans labeled SS109.

Same thing happened when we got the M9 pistols. Qual scores were upped because scores across the board improved so much over the 1911A1.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Level3 hard plates won’t always stop green tip. All the overthrow-the-government guys carry them, I assume so they can blast cops and such.

I always assumed that was the attraction to green tip.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I bought a case back in July of 2020 It was destined from the US to the Saudi's but because of Covid the shipment never went. It shoots MOR (Minute of Russian).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Level3 hard plates won’t always stop green tip. All the overthrow-the-government guys carry them, I assume so they can blast cops and such.

Not everybody's out to kill ya, Blue. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Blue, your worst enemy is the very govt you work for. Including the local DA who indicted your officers.

Knowing who the enemy is, is paramount to choosing a side.

I wouldn't spit on your local govt if they were on fire. Your dept used to be a good agency before Art Acevedo.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Blue, your worst enemy is the very govt you work for. Including the local DA who indicted your officers.

Knowing who the enemy is, is paramount to choosing a side.

I wouldn't spit on your local govt if they were on fire. Your dept used to be a good agency before Art Acevedo.

Bastard Art Acevedo came to Miami from TX, but they thankfully got rid of him within ~ 6 months. The line LEO's hated him and gave him a No Confidence vote, IIRC. That elitist prick thought himself to be Uber Alles.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 54 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,398
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.