Originally Posted by 5sdad
Check with Hank Hill.

Got a chuckle out of me!

Old guy, old guns.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used these several times in the past but used the old style valve on the big bottle. It is my understanding that the newer valves on the big bottle wont work when upside down. Am I mis-informed?

Last edited by stuvwxyz; 03/19/22.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You want to buy Flame king 1# refillable bottles and their refill valve assy. This setup uses a 20# bottle upside down. I have messed with filling the Coleman style cylinders and it is a nasty mess. Trying to fill and keep the spring loaded Schroeder valve open and not get propane on you is impossible. Once propane gets on your clothes, you might as well leave them outside. The flame king bottles have a socket head Allen screw for the vent. No hassles about freezing one. Turn on the valve until it spits liquid. 100% full. You do still need to pay attention to wind direction. Anything other than this method is a waste of time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by high_country_

No reason. Waste of time with the right equipment.

IC B2

B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I have used these several times in the past but used the old style valve on the big bottle. It is my understanding that the newer valves on the big bottle wont work when upside down. Am I mis-informed?

You are correct. The new overfill protection valves close when the bottle is inverted. They’re designed to only let vapor pass, not liquid.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW I believe it is illegal to transport any refilled ‘single use’ cylinders. Not sure how they know they were refilled, but I figured I would throw that out there.

If you are going through that much propane perhaps you should just get a feed line or distribution tree and use the big tank to directly feed the stove (and lantern on top of the tree).

I’ve never refilled a small cylinder but have had troubles out of some old ones leaking when disconnected (old cylinders stored in my fathers garage). I am guessing they have a finite life before they begin to leak. I camp quite a bit and don’t go through enough of the small cylinders to make it worth messing with trying to refill them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bought a 100# tank from Tractor Supply today. They'll fill it for me on Monday when I pick it up.

Bought an adaptor on Amazon so I can hook the modern style regulator to it.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Bry

You are correct. The new overfill protection valves close when the bottle is inverted. They’re designed to only let vapor pass, not liquid.

Originally Posted by Bry

This Quote from the propane 101 website seems to indicate otherwise.

“OPD equipped propane cylinders will allow liquid propane into gas lines and hoses if tipped over or inverted. Overfill Prevention Devices are not a safety mechanism used or actuated during cylinder usage.“

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An OPD is essentially a float valve. When the float lifts to the top, it shuts off. If the tank is upside down, the float tries to lift to the top of the liquid but now it's opening, not closing.

[Linked Image from gascylindersource.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Our service techs can’t use them as pony tanks to get customers going when out of gas calls come in. Used to use regular 20lb tanks but had to switchover to forklift tanks without the OPD valves.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have filled a lot of small 1# bottles and all my 20# tanks have OPD 's on them They all get turn upside down and all small bottles get filled . I never pre chilled them either. I hung several in tent or in my stock trailer when I used it as a camp. or sitting on the ground when I was out sides saddling stock.The propane trees are not the answer in all cases.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The most I could get into a 1# cylinder was about 8-10oz.
It seemed to work better if you put the empty ones in the fridge first.
We used to use piles of them in the scouts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you take the time to watch the clip I posted for you, it shows how to do it, what each method is capable of transferring, troubleshooting and pretty much everything you need to know.

It mirrors my experience 100%

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Dunno, 1lb cylinders are only about a quart of liquid so maybe the opd valves will fill those before shutting down, never messed with em. I make a living delivering LP and pony bigger tanks on occasion but the opd valves don’t work for that.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks all, I have a gizmo coming.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bry
Dunno, 1lb cylinders are only about a quart of liquid so maybe the opd valves will fill those before shutting down, never messed with em. I make a living delivering LP and pony bigger tanks on occasion but the opd valves don’t work for that.
There's a safety valve in the OPD that will shut off if you turn the gas on too fast. It's designed to shut it off if a hose or something breaks.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Bry
There's a safety valve in the OPD that will shut off if you turn the gas on too fast. It's designed to shut it off if a hose or something breaks.

That makes sense.

The other thing I thought of is that with the fill tank inverted as it empties the opd valve will be closing. Probably get the best results filling the 1lb tanks using a full fill tank.

I’d be leery of warming a fill tank much, the pressure relief valve might not like that.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I used to do it years ago, and not since the new valve style on the 20lbers. The new valve was designed to only fill the tank to about 80% capacity, to eliminate overfill and allow room for expansion of pressure in warmer temps. Not sure about inverting the 20lb tank, but a simple test would be to turn upside down and crack the valve slightly. Obviously, if nothing comes out, the valve will stop flow when upside down. Just picturing in my mind, I can't see how it could stop flow upside down. When I did it with a 20lb to 1lb refill, I did as the instructions stated. to put the small tank in the freezer for short time and to invert 20lber when refilling. I di warm the 2olber by using a hair blow dryer. The reasons with temps effecting the pressures is when a liquefied gas such as propane is cold it is condensed and lower pressure versus with warmer temps causing expansion with higher pressures. That is why sometimes when you use a 1lber outside like on a Coleman camp stove, when temps are say below freezing, there is very low pressure. And acts like the tank is going empty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've filled 100s over the years, I can get 2 tanks in one ....thing is don't use them in the lantern at the top of the tent ..there is a reason for that relief valve ...lol

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,342 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,864
Posts18,497,278
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.