Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
....The first one I shot was my dad's Savage model 6, the first I owned was a Remington nylon 66 (still have it and the old Savage too).

GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
i only got mine a few months ago... (only 19) just a stainless ruger 10/22 the sports delux version or something like that. put the scope on it from my pellit gun - kicks less than the pellit gun too- keeps stove pipen the casings tho- sighted in off a rest i love plinking old paint gallon buckets at 150 yards. best was putting a golf ball at 150 (that usually took 2 or 3). but now i am back in california-- i cant just shoot like in idaho-- speakin of first guns- in the middle of writing this post i found a 100 rounds for my old russian m44. that was my first gun. thats a fun one- for only $74 i cant complain-

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
adammada

If you want a bunch of fun get together with a buddy and throw a couple golfballs out about 25yards away. See how many times you can hit it. Kinda tough when your buddy is shootin at it too!

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
bogger--

never tried it with another guy at the same time-- too bad we cant play it where we're standing opposites wtih it in the middle and gotta get it to the other person! we d throw one out close and see you could get the lost shot before missin tho... theyre a blast tho!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Marlin model 60

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First was a Remington 512 with a Redfield 4X scope.

After that came Winchester 77,s with tube magazines, a 75 Target, a 72 Target, a 52,
a 62(non-A), a Ruger 77/22, two Browning T-bolts, another 512, two Ruger 10/22's,
a Colt SAA, Ruger MK1, three K-22's and my father in law's Marlin just like yours!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Marlin 81DL. Dad earned by selling greeting cards or salve or somesuch in 1947. Learned to shoot with that rifle in the early 60's. I inherited it a few years ago when Pop passed away. Still have it- it would be about the last one to ever leave my posession.

First .22 bought with my own money was a Win. 52, First Model. $35 in 1968. To this day one of the most accurate .22's I ever owned. Wish I still had it. Horse traded it for an M2 Springfield, which I do still have! It'll put 10 rds. of Tenex into 5/8" at 50 yds. The 52 was a little better, though.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Winchester 69A

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My First .22 rifle Belonged to a Great Uncle I never met. My Great Aunt came across it under her Bed many years after he passed away. She called my Father to come remove it as she did not ant any guns around the house after he died. My Father shared with me that my Great uncle worked for the Erie Lackawanna Railroad for 40 Years as a signal Man in the Caboose. This time period was for steam engines and he carried this Remington Model 12-A in an oil cloth in the caboose with him. When the steam engine Train would come into small towns to Pick up passengers and get water to make it's steam he would knock the head off a Cock Pheasant and the boys and him would share in a Nice Pheasant dinner once the train was back under Motion. I got it when I was 10 Years old, and my Father cut the stock off it to fit me better back then. I lost Tract of just how many Bricks of .22 shells this rifle has fired aince I was a young Boy, But I can tell you it has Bagged Hundreds of Gray squirrles in taht time span. I grew up with it, and later bought a complete model 12-A Parts rifle to harvest the stock off it so I could Put this rifle back original. I called the Remington Plant one day and asked for the age of this rifle off it's serial numbers and was told it was shipped to a hardware store In Lyons New York in 1913, and later that year Purchased by my great uncle. It will remain in my Family and eventually be passed on to my Daughters children as they grow and want to learn how to shoot their first rifle.. Thegeneral.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Marlin Model 60. Still have it. Paper route money bought a crick of CCIs. I damn near wore it out.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wincester Model 121 single shot for Christmas in 1969 or 1970. I think it cost my parents $13 back then which was a lot of money as we were as poor as church mice. Still have it.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
General, I need not tell you to never part with your grand old Remington, it is a real beauty, value enhanced by it's storied past.It's condition speaks well indeed of the loving hands that it has served. Thanks for sharing, your recounting of your treasure's past points out so well a value in our arms we all should cherish!
Originally Posted by generalstuart
My First .22 rifle Belonged to a Great Uncle I never met. My Great Aunt came across it under her Bed many years after he passed away. She called my Father to come remove it as she did not ant any guns around the house after he died. My Father shared with me that my Great uncle worked for the Erie Lackawanna Railroad for 40 Years as a signal Man in the Caboose. This time period was for steam engines and he carried this Remington Model 12-A in an oil cloth in the caboose with him. When the steam engine Train would come into small towns to Pick up passengers and get water to make it's steam he would knock the head off a Cock Pheasant and the boys and him would share in a Nice Pheasant dinner once the train was back under Motion. I got it when I was 10 Years old, and my Father cut the stock off it to fit me better back then. I lost Tract of just how many Bricks of .22 shells this rifle has fired aince I was a young Boy, But I can tell you it has Bagged Hundreds of Gray squirrles in taht time span. I grew up with it, and later bought a complete model 12-A Parts rifle to harvest the stock off it so I could Put this rifle back original. I called the Remington Plant one day and asked for the age of this rifle off it's serial numbers and was told it was shipped to a hardware store In Lyons New York in 1913, and later that year Purchased by my great uncle. It will remain in my Family and eventually be passed on to my Daughters children as they grow and want to learn how to shoot their first rifle.. Thegeneral.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Anschutz 1400. Sold it (Dumb Dumb Dumb!) to trade up on a newer model. Just bought a second hand 1400 for my son. Should of kept the first one I had.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The first one I remember shooting was my Grandpa's Savage Model 24 .22/.410. When my kid brother and I would be taking turns shooting it, I used to get a kick out of slipping in a .410 shell, flipping the selector down and seeing how big my brother's eyes got when he squeezed the trigger. The first .22 I owned I bought at Wal-Mart with safety bonus gift certificates we got at work for each quarter worked without an accident. Both guns still reside at my home.

"God does not deduct from man's allotted time those hours spent fishing"
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Mine was a Marlin 60 that I still have, but just refinished the stock. I stained it a pre-64 red-brown and did a rubbed finish with BLO, sealed with a beeswax and BLO mix. Looks awesome, removed the rear sight and put a dovetail blank and removed the front sight. I scoped it with a Bushnell. I told you all of this because I did it to give it to my son, he said that he would rather have a bolt action. After getting over that, he now has a Remington 511 Scoremaster. Someone was talking about the golfballs, my friend and I, would set up battles with the green Army men and Tonka trucks and light them up, me with my Marlin and he had a 10/22. It probably looks cooler in my memories than it really was, but still a good time.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
lol army men and tonka trucks. that reminds me of me an my buddies doin that with BB guns when we were wayyy little. Looks pretty cool in my memories too.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Marlin Model 60 that I still have.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My first that I owned was a Mossberg 351C which I got for Christmas in 9th grade. I paid for half of it. There was a budget for Christmas at that time. The rifle choice was all mine; my Dad did not question my choice of a semi-auto even though he did not have one. That rifle shot great. I still have it but it needs some work to bring it back to normal reliability. It is just wore out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Browning take down .22 auto, still have it in the safe (grade I)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Remington Nylon 66

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (35, 10Glocks, 375TN, 6mmCreedmoor, 308ld, 8 invisible), 1,387 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,910
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.