Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jim585 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
What are the best books to learn about reloading for rifle & handgun?

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There are several that have good beginner sections. I've recommended the Lyman over the years.

Once you've digested the basics and gotten started you'll want to look into books by John Barsness. For example:

https://www.riflesandrecipes.com/product/rifle-trouble-shooting-and-handloading/

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Any of the loading manuals such as Nosler, Hornady ectara would be a good start .

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
IMO the Western Powders reloading manual has the best and most informative beginner section of any of the manuals available.

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Powders-Handloading-Guide-Reloading/dp/B0051521C4

drover

Last edited by drover; 03/20/22.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I would also recommend the Western Powders manual for beginners.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Lots of u tube videos too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you know what bullets and powders you plan to use, I would get the manuals put out by those manufacturers.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mathman
There are several that have good beginner sections. I've recommended the Lyman over the years.

/

Another vote for Lyman...they use variety of bullets, and have probably the best reference " how-to" section of any.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Hodgon prints a reloading manual in magazine form that is usually on well stocked magazine racks and I find it about as comprehensive in terms of cartridges, powders (of their manufacture) and bullets of any reloading manual I have seen, Another good source is Alliant tech's website for the Reloader series of powders if that is the type of powder that is commonly available in your area.

One source I would recommend you stay away from the loads people post on the internet until you have a couple 1,000 rounds under your belt and then only with extreme caution. Some of the loads posted may be fine for their firearms, ambient temperature, ... but they may not be appropriate for you firearms or your application. None of us would intentionally send anyone astray with our internet advice but unintentionally blown up guns are just as bad and hurt the same.

One saying someone with far more gray hair than I did at the time told me "Focus on accurate loads not fast loads." this has served me well for almost 50 years of reloading.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

https://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading-10th-Philip-Massaro/dp/1951115279/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1FYANNZOSAM5&keywords=reloading+book&qid=1647803826&sprefix=reloading+book%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-11

This was what I used to get started.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by mathman

Once you've digested the basics and gotten started you'll want to look into books by John Barsness. For example:

https://www.riflesandrecipes.com/product/rifle-trouble-shooting-and-handloading/

+1.

I advocate using your library system to examine reloading manuals without having to buy them blindly. You can often get many different ones, & get a lot of knowledge by comparing them. You'll also find which ones you find to be the most understandable, so you can make the best buying decision for you.

And the Barsness books will save you much time & money, by quickly pointing you to those parts of the process that make the most difference for accuracy.

Good Luck,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
This is a good one for anybody, especially beginners. It not only has a bunch of load specs for most rounds, it also explains things well. If you can only afford Lee dies, etc., don't let anybody tell you they won't work. I use them right along with my expensive components. They are the best "bang" for the buck. Also keep you eye out in classifieds on hunting and shooting sites, as well as your local area for estate sales and used stuff for sale. Much of my bench stuff I bought used for less than half price through the years. Always....SAFETY,SAFETY!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101284116/

Last edited by reivertom; 03/20/22.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The hard part will be finding supplies.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Do you have a friend or some shooter that loads? If so, ask to borrow reloading manuals. Look up hand loading basics online
Ask questions here.
Lyman and , at least in the old days Speer were good manuals.
As previously mentioned the ABCs of reloading.
Feel free to ask questions here.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Some gun clubs (ours for example) have NRA certified instructors who teach reloading among other things.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might also add that while both the Lyman and Western Powders manuals provide plenty of good advice, have seen far more BAD (including dangerous) advice on Internet websites in the past year than in any loading manual published in the past 50 years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Jim585 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks to all. Very helpful & much appreciated.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When I started a decade or so ago, I bought the RCBS kit and had a friend come over and take me through the process one time to get a hands on perspective. My advice would be to start with new brass first to save all the brass sizing and prep time, do that after you get the hang of things. Also, you must have a chronograph as you have really no idea what you are doing re velocity without one. My loads were typically below range for velocity and usually had to work my way up to get to published velocities. My gear is packed up now due to a move but I really enjoyed it and encourage you to have at it, it's not difficult, you just need to pay attention to what you are doing.

Last edited by 257Bob; 03/22/22.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by drover
IMO the Western Powders reloading manual has the best and most informative beginner section of any of the manuals available.

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Powders-Handloading-Guide-Reloading/dp/B0051521C4

drover

You motivated me to go look at my Western manual, and I have to agree that's the best beginning handloading section I've seen.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Might also add that while both the Lyman and Western Powders manuals provide plenty of good advice, have seen far more BAD (including dangerous) advice on Internet websites in the past year than in any loading manual published in the past 50 years.

Yes......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1moredeer, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,409
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.