Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Teal
Light, handy and almost no recoil. 410's are fun. Plus not loud so un an urban setting - no one complains.

Not a 410 here but it is excellent at this kind of work.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Do you have personal experience in this manner?

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good bit, if you have the ammo or can load it. I have a nifty little Henry single set up for turkeys, and laid in ammo before The Crunch. Killing headshots on turkeys with TSS and the proper choke up to 40, Brenneke slugs group well to at least 50, and 5-pellet 000 make a hand-sized pattern at 30 with the modified choke. Obviously it’s a good choice for squirrels and rabbits at sensible range, without mincing them up too badly. Not my choice for much wing-shooting; I’m not that good, and the patterns are pretty thin past 25-30 yards, so not ethical (for me) in my mind.

The Henry wears a Bushnell Lil P Prism for precise aiming with TSS. When ammo becomes more available I want to try it on the rabbit on our clays setup.

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Gramma had banty chickens which ran loose all over the farm. When ever she wanted to put one in the kettle, she would pull out her little bolt action 410.

When we grew up on the farm, we hunted pheasant with the neighboring farm owner. He used an 870 in 410, and was always the first to limit out.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Doves. I started with a Savage 24, 22/410 single shot and nailed the first dove I shot at. 😊 I’ve missed a few since then. 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My go to grouse truck gun , ammo cost more than 12 GA tho.... back when u could buy ammo .

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Dove, quail, and snakes hate my 410.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
410 is an experts gauge, not a good beginners or childs gun. Great for rabbits and squirrels. Enjoyable for a good wingshot who can limit his range.
You best shop for a reloading tool, 410 ammo is way overpriced.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd sell the ammo and buy another house.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Squill, bunnies, dove, quail, hogs, and azzholes. Probably more if you know your gun and how to use it.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
It's good on beer cans and puff ball mushrooms and the like.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I killed my first shotgun-killed bird (an English sparrow) with a .410. I was 11 years old. My buddy's grandfather used to let us run loose at that age with his Savage 24 on their farm (also his late '40's Willys Overland.)

When we were kids one of my other buddy's father always used a .410 rabbit hunting. He claimed the .410 "shot like a rifle" and you could kill rabbits further with that than anything else. Even as a kid, I read enough of the "experts" to know that wasn't true, but he sure killed a lot of rabbits.

My grandmother had an old .22/.410 that she kept by the back door. Any time at night she thought she heard prowlers outside she'd let fly a couple of rounds of .410 out across the horse pasture. (If they got in the house, she always had her H&R top break .32 S&W handy for close-quarter battle. She'd also keep us in .22 shells all summer. My brothers, cousins and I worshipped that woman.

Back in my misguided younger days, my brother and I kept a pack of running hounds and our winter leisure time activity was running coyotes and foxes. One day a guy who'd expressed an interest came with us. We didn't pay much mind to what gun he had, just told him where to go to get on a watch. He killed a red fox ahead of our dogs and, when I saw the hole in it, asked him what gun he was using. He was using a .410 with slugs. We suggested that if he were to take up this sport with us on a regular basis he might consider using a 3" 12 gauge with #4 buck which was our standard coyote running load at that time.

I have a .410 barrel (2 1/2" chamber) for my Savage 99 in .303 Savage. I took the 99 on a Quebec caribou expedition several years back, killed some caribou with the .303 barrel and, after tagging out, spent a good deal of my time wandering/exploring with the .410 barrel on the 99 and collected a goodly number of spruce grouse for the table.

I know it's fashionable to say the .410 isn't a good beginner gun, but I respectfully disagree. You need to teach beginners to limit their distance with any shotgun. Where do we draw some arbitrary limit? You also need to teach them to shoot. It's a lot easier to teach them to shoot with a gun that's not beating them up. My favorite bird gun is a 1620 Merkel. Yes, it fits me, but when I use the 20 gauge barrels to shoot sporting clays or 5 stand with it will have me starting to flinch at much over 50 shots. To say the .410, because of its limited range, is not a beginner's gun, sort of implies that maybe a 3" 12 gauge would be better. Beginners should be shooting under supervision.

That's about all my experience with .410's.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gettin' better at your shotgun game.

I once did Trap doubles with a .410 it was a tough game, got a 34 on it. was a fun round.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have found it very efficient at very close range for hogs and dogs. It's amazing what that small amount of bird shot can do bouncing around inside a brain cavity. Never have had an exit wound.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What woodmaster and prairie dog shooter said. Fun little guns, lots of us grew up shooting them for over-simplified reasons not good reasons; utilitarian niche and expert niche, in short. Nothing “wrong” with them, but… it depends.

Have 3-4 of them, so not knocking them.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Halibut!

J
JHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I reload 444 Marlin cases to shoot out of a 45 colt/ .410 Bond Derringer. I tone them down a bit usually around 13-15 grains of H-110 depending on what size shot/ buckshot that’s the flavor of the day.

My dad bought me a Mossberg 500 in 410 years ago and I have taken it dove hunting one time. I don’t remember how many I put in the bag that day but I do remember it was more than anyone else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After reading most of this thread, I'm guessing that the first 100 or so squirrels, that I toted out of the woods, died of fright. Dont reckon it had anything to do with the 410 shooting 3" #6's. Add to that the first 25 or so ducks and a handful or two of quail. And dont even think of counting my first deer, I guess he just fell over dead for the hell of it. The 2 1/2" 410 slug that went thru his lungs at about 50 yds, had nothing to do with it.

Naw, 410 aint good for anything. (where's the sarcastic thingy)

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I use a Marlin 1895 .410 for homestead chores and home defense. I keep a modified choke in it and shoot #6. I get lots of snakes and skunks with us and our neighbors all having chickens. The .410 shotshells are probably the hardest to find ammo right now. The gun holds 5 rounds if IRC. Whenever I find shells again, I might load them progressively, shell 1-3 #6 and the last 2 shots 000

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JHM
I reload 444 Marlin cases to shoot out of a 45 colt/ .410 Bond Derringer. I tone them down a bit usually around 13-15 grains of H-110 depending on what size shot/ buckshot that’s the flavor of the day.

My dad bought me a Mossberg 500 in 410 years ago and I have taken it dove hunting one time. I don’t remember how many I put in the bag that day but I do remember it was more than anyone else.

I bought a single barrel 410 years ago, every time I went into wallyworld I would grab a box of shells. I heard about using 444 Marlin brass, and saw some once fired for sale and grabbed them. Haven't loaded any yet, but I have them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have an old Winchester 37 with a choke so tight, it shoots more like a rifle than a shotgun. That was my first gun as a kid and I made shots with that thing that I had no idea how long they were because I didn’t have a basis for comparison. That gun was a squirrel killing Jessie.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/21/22.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,386
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.