Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Scott, I have watched two videos which describe the system in different ways. So if I'm confused, so are a lot of other people - some of them Toyota service people.

Whichever. The facts are that Toyota does it in a very high-tech way. Their hybrid cars are powered by both a gas engine and an electric motor in varying ways depending on the driving situation, and the battery in them is claimed to never need replacement. And their regular hybrids never need to be plugged in.

(They do have plug-in hybrids, also, but I know even less about those.)

My sister has been on the Prius train for years. I know she's gone through a couple, but don't know the reasons why she's moved from one vehicle to another. I know she's driving a 2nd generation right now, that she purchased used, and probably has a buttload of miles on it. If it was a matter of just putting in a rebuilt battery, she'd have gone that route, so I'm assuming her 1st gen just had too many issues besides a battery, and hence her move to a 2nd generation, and then on to the one she's driving now.

Here's a pretty decent schematic of the system. It does show the 4 different modes - electric only, electric/gas, battery recharge, and regenerative braking. Note that all power to and from the driving wheels goes through the transaxle that's coupled to the engine.

hyrid drive power flows

edit: well, that image won't load, you'll have to click on the link. Here's one that shows the system putting all power (EM and IC) through the transaxle, but without the 4 modes.

[Linked Image from s3.amazonaws.com]

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 03/20/22.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
. The wheels are powered by electric motors only. .

Do the electric motors do the braking or does the vehicle rely on conventional braking?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
So what does it cost in electricity to fully charge it and how will subzero temps affect the range? Also battery life and replacement cost?
Questions the greenie-weenies never wanna answer....

This^^^ does seem to go unpublished.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Back when gas cost $2.75 a gallon, my brother said the electricity to run his Tesla cost half of what gasoline cost.

Cold weather has got to badly limit the range of the Tesla, running that heater on electricity.
Battery life is the big question. Supposedly it will last ten years, we will see.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Pat85
. The wheels are powered by electric motors only. .

Do the electric motors do the braking or does the vehicle rely on conventional braking?

At least on the Prius (I can't speak for any others), it's both. You can drive in regen mode where any time you let off the accel. pedal, regenerative braking occurs. But regular disc-brakes are available and won't feel any different than a non-hybrid when braking.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
RVs are 50 amp 110 or 120 VAC, not 220. It will burn them up. Ask me how I know. I realize it has 4 prongs. Wire it 220 and it will fry your inverter, appliances etc. There is nothing on an RV that needs 220 volts in the US.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
That"s pretty funny.

What do you think the fourth prong is for on the plug in.
One 120 leg A.
One 120 leg B.
One neutral.
And one safety ground.

Whether your RV actually uses the two 120 legs in series to make 220, or whether the trailer simply uses it as two 120 V suply lines is not relevant. Put your volt meter across those two 120 volt recepticles. It will read 220-240 volts.

It is a 220 V service, whether it is used that way or as two 120s.

The daughter's 36 foot trailer has been plugged in at the pump house for two years. It is fed by a fifty amp double pole 220 V breaker.

Funny thing, it has not burned down yet.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,710 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,470
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.