Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1707256 09/29/07
73079 Offline OP
OP Offline
Whats the longest amount you guys have stayed out camping (tent) at one time?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From the title I thought it was about staying out overnight without coming back to camp.

I've stayed a little over two weeks a number of times backpacking. Used to run 14 day wilderness camps. Never in a tent, just tarps. Can't think of a longer time though might come up with one. Have done some of those 14 day trips almost back to back but not quite. Also gone almost that long on some elk hunts and combo hunts for sheep, caribou etc. up north. So not all that long at any one time for me, but a lot of those kind of trips.

My wife used to live all summer in a tent, either in Idaho or in Alaska, during her Dad's summer stints with the Forest Service. He was a school teacher the rest of the year. She's lived in tents much more than I have.

I think several folks here have some long time living in tents.

Last edited by Okanagan; 09/29/07.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
42 days

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
does the desert count?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Right at 80 days.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Around 60....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yep -i'm a wimp

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm a wimp too. 14 days is plenty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ime, the longer you stay out the better it gets as far as some things go, being wet doesn't seem as inconvenient, you shrug off little nicks and dings that normally make you say ouch, your own smell even quits being quite so offensive unless you stick your head in the tent on a warm day or get the stove going and smell your socks (ugggghhhh!)

your eyes and your feet get tuned to the country, noticing the little odd things that might mean an animal start to jump out at ya, walking on uneven surfaces and walking so if you feel an obstruction you lift before you stumble just becomes the way you walk.

I highly reco it if you can afford the time to do it, you'll be surprised how in tune you get to the country and it really makes that first pizza and beer seem like heaven when you finally do go to a town.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
17 days.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
37 days.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I imagine some wildland fire fighters could really rack up some numbers on this topic if they chimed in, if some haven't already.

I think the most time I've spent on any one stint was at or around 35 as part of a break between jobs, broken up by a couple trips to restock food and to see what was going on in the rest of the world. I'm looking forward to one day taking a loooong Alaskan float trip.

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hey guys ,

Are these long stays pertaining to your work ?

I remember Brad telling me he did the appalachian trail as a young buck -but how about you other guys ?

I would love to do some 14 day'ers but between work and life in general -can't find the time.

Like BUSHCRAFT i'd love to do something like an alaska float trip ,although this spring i'm going to buy one of the little yamaha tw200's.

I'll do some riding as far as the land/law will allow then pack in and spend a few days ,not exactly deep wilderness backpacking but an adventure nonetheless.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My longest solo stay in the bush was 5.5 months, but, it was easy as I had my Toy 4x4 and could take a break every 2-3 weeks.

I have tented in wall tents, hate �m, for about three months and in cabins about as long. some of this was in extreme wilderness, alone with no breaks starting 40 years ago when BC was a lot wilder then it is now.

I guess about six weeks in mountain tents, solo, in the snow usually and I enjoy this, just did a 9 day stint deep into the South Chilcotin by horses, with my buddy in bivy sacks under a tarp/frame setup, snowed, rained, blew and I was very comfy in my ID combo bag plus BA IAC over my Thermarest ProIV.

Straight backpacking in wilderness, usually 5-7 days alone and over two weeks with a couple friends. Overall, my longest solo deep wilderness stints without relief have been three months and that is a long time to be alone in the BC mountains, getting too old for this now and two weeks is about my max. as I get lonely for home and tired of my own company.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ol mike,

can't speak for the others, but yes I was getting paid to be there and there were other folks around. but it was 42 days without ever seeing anything remotely compared to a town and living in a tent and sleeping bag.

completely solo 10 days is the longest I've spent

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kutenay touched on the hardest part about being out alone for longer durations...the loneliness.

While not insurmountable, the onset of loneliness that occurs after about seven or eight days is the hardest part for me to deal with while out there alone. I begin to miss the sweet mercies and companionship of my lady, concerns of the business reemerge and so on. Funny how this onset invariably coincides with the finishing of the book I usually bring for the evenings. wink

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Spent the summer of '81 in a tent while building a house, but had *access* to a shower and a hose bib to haul water in juggies.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
10 days

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
22 days, If I remember correctly. It was a blast, but that first hot shower I had when I got back to town I'll never forget. I think about that moment everytime I get back to "civilization." It's a good 'un.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Solo 11 days.

31 days is my longest stint with a tent, though I actually slept under the stars most nights.

Now I dream about having that much time off...

The Bill of Rights is just that. It is not the Bill of Needs as determined by some liberal know it all.

Politicians and diapers should be changed often for precisely the same reason.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,196
Posts18,485,102
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.