Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hosfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Recently got this app,recomended by a couple friends, I live in an area that has lots of public and private sections, with lots of logging roadswe locals have coon hunted for years,, seems pretty handy,, anyone else use it?

I AM AMERICA!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
I do, works well.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Both my wife Eileen and I have been using it for several years. I started first with a Garmin GPS, but Eileen added it to her cell phone a couple years later. We considerit pretty much essential anymore.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Seen them recommended before but what concerns me is cell service and battery life of my phone more so than anything. It will be nice to hear some reviews on it from folks who have used it in a lot of different situations. Dave

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by ackleydave
Seen them recommended before but what concerns me is cell service and battery life of my phone more so than anything. It will be nice to hear some reviews on it from folks who have used it in a lot of different situations. Dave

Dave,

One reason I still use the Garmin GPS is the batteries last a lot longer than a full charge in Eileen's cell phone--and I can replace them in the field, which is handy in more remote country here in Montana.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Love it, use on airplane mode to save battery, download 10x10 and 100x100 maps first.

Keep Smiling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have onX for Wyoming. Loaded to Garmin. I create waypoints on desktop and upload to Garmin. I think it's a valuable tool.

When I've talked to Wyo F&G they think highly of onX too. My concern is private vs public land boundaries.

It's a big improvement over paper maps.

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No cell service is needed to use it. If you think you’ll be in an area with limited cell signal, download the map ahead of time. Use it “offline” and the gps function still works perfectly. I buy it nationwide annually. Used it yesterday to watch how far we trolled and the path we took fishing off of Cozumel, Mexico.

This is just one example of what you can use it for.

Forgot to turn the track on until halfway through. 25 miles of tracking.

Edit to ad, the resolution is low because I wasn’t letting it fully load in the poor cell signal. If I’d loaded it ahead of time, it could be full blown satellite imagery or topo map with land ownership.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hand sketched an approximation of the first half in for another 25 miles.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never used it but my oldest son does. He loves it so I might need to give it a try.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Gaia is just as good if not better, 1/3 the cost.

Don't gobble at me
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use it. I need it on the state and national forests I hunt. Those forests are broken up into tracts and it's easy to wander off them and onto private land.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using it for 3 years. I dumped the gps 2 years ago. The cell in airplane mode lasts a long time.

I did 28 days solo in a row last year without a glitch. Download the area map in advance and go offline.....you will use more battery taking a picture.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I do, love it. People here in New Jersey have been posting State and County land for years. A buddy of mine's son was turkey hunting State land that some douche landowner posted. The landowner called the CO on the kid. When the CO showed up the kid showed him OnX and no ticket was issued. The CO made the landowner take down the signs on the State property.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by ackleydave

Dave,

One reason I still use the Garmin GPS is the batteries last a lot longer than a full charge in Eileen's cell phone--and I can replace them in the field, which is handy in more remote country here in Montana.

The nice thing with using the phone is you can download offline maps, either 5 or 10 sq miles, to your phone, and then when in country where cell service is an issue you put your phone on airplane mode so it stops searching for towers. The GPS will still work on the phone and the battery will last all day, possibly more depending on which model you have.
I love mine.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had the maps for 4 years, very highly recommended.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry a small power cell and a very short power cord in my pack that will charge my iphone two full charges. Weighs next to nothing. Never tried just running my iphone on airplane mode but that would help for sure. I pretty much have cell service everywhere I hunt so I like to stay wired in to my business if possible.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like OnX hunt, mostly use prairie dogging out west.

I see there are others, Huntstand Pro & Gala for starters. I may check them out.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I use OnX and like it, it works very well.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Great tool.

Download your maps, turn it on airplane mode and battery lasts a long time.

Great for boundaries, obviously.

Also, will have some landowner information, so if you are resourceful and want to do some digging, you might be able to gain access to private. Certain hunt trips I've done, this is a vital tool.

The tracking feature is nice, but I don't use it as much now as I used to.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I own some hunting land in an area broken into 10 and 5 acre parcels. Most of it with no fences or visible property lines. It can be a bit of a mess. Instead of paying for a bunch of expensive survey work, the landowners all agreed to use OnX to set the property lines. There can be a few feet of variance sometimes, but for the most part, it has been a great way to decide who owns what in a practical way. I know it wouldn't stand a legal challenge, but it's a great rule of thumb.

If you are looking at real estate online, it's also a nice tool to map property lines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,470
Posts18,471,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.