Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
S
sjc Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The general ruling is, if you have time to get a search warrant you get the warrant. In the TN case, from the little information provided in the article, if the Wardens had information concerning illegal activity on the property and they found time to place the cameras they may have had time to apply for a search warrant before placing the cameras. I know this is a general conclusion but time is the consideration taken into account when applying for a warrant or not applying.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by sjc
The general ruling is, if you have time to get a search warrant you get the warrant. In the TN case, from the little information provided in the article, if the Wardens had information concerning illegal activity on the property and they found time to place the cameras they may have had time to apply for a search warrant before placing the cameras. I know this is a general conclusion but time is the consideration taken into account when applying for a warrant or not applying.

/I would agree, again if they have R/S, P/C to believe illegal activity is afoot, etc. then by all means enter the property. if it's a "hunch and they wanta fishing expedition that they need to set up cameras on different story. it can be argued that if they see something like an illegal bait pile, they would probably eb coverd in placing a camera to watch they would be covered in setting up physical human based surveillance over same

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I guess you guys have never been moving through flooded timber and your head light shine on a water moccasin. I guess you have never shot at a raccoon moving at sunset. How bout hog hunters, coyotes ?

I can only surmise from reading your comment that you have no idea, either from experience or observation, what a wood duck roost hunt is like.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Game wardens are a pain in the azz.... till you need one. We need them or the bad guys (poachers) would be out of control around here. I've had them come in on opening morning checking for hunting licenses, blaze orange and hunting deer over bait, really pisses me off. Thankfully we've pretty much got all that BS worked out. If a game warden has probable cause to enter my property that's one thing. To put cameras out on my property trying to find probable cause isn't going to work out very well. Talking about a tuff job, being a GW is one of those.

Yeah, fences cut and winter wheat driven over to retrieve a road killed illegal deer off my farm, Possum Cop says they don't have enough personnel to be responsive.

"I need to do a better job of posting", really? But they can sneak on your land and put up cell service cameras IN CASE you violate a law on your own property, with your tax dollars? GMAFB

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
The 4th Amendment applies to ALL law enforcement.

I remember a thread on this last summer or fall where a guy got raided after taking down an unidentified game camera on his property.... is this the same case I wonder?

It certainly is.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is it legal to plant a flag directly in front of the lens of any agency's camera lens so as to obstruct the view?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pretty hard to get a warrant when you have a cell phone, car radio, car computer, cb radio, and a personal cell phone. Heck, you probably have a pager too. Don't want to bother the judge....then you know you may be violating someone's rights.

Easy for game wardens to run over you as they have immunity and federal prosecutors, federal judges, and federal LEO to assist them in prosecuting you at no cost to them. Hard to fight them (feds) when they have unlimited resources. If I have immunity why would I care about your rights??

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Those cameras sound like a very good target to shoot at...

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Poachers and game wardens go where the game is, or the fish are. Illegal activity takes place very often quickly and then the scene is vacated.

As to this camera situation on private property, I've done that myself. Usually on land leased from timber companies most of which had provisions that law enforcement was welcome. In the case at hand we simply do not have enough information. There is way more left unsaid than said.

But having good communications does not compensate for the need to go in quickly with no time for a warrant.

We aren't talking about going in someone's house or even barn or storage shed.

The law is clearly on the side of game agents routinely patrolling private land. Until SCOTUS overturns precedent that is the way it is.

I truly understand some officers abuse their office but that has to be dealt with individually.

By the way.Louisiana law clearly states there are 4 classes of people the cannot be treated as trespassers in performance of their duties. 1. Firefighters 2. Medical Personnel 3. Utility workers 4. and you guessed it LAW ENFORCEMENT

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Hastings
Poachers and game wardens go where the game is, or the fish are. Illegal activity takes place very often quickly and then the scene is vacated.

As to this camera situation on private property, I've done that myself. Usually on land leased from timber companies most of which had provisions that law enforcement was welcome. In the case at hand we simply do not have enough information. There is way more left unsaid than said.

But having good communications does not compensate for the need to go in quickly with no time for a warrant.

The law is clearly on the side of game agents routinely patrolling private land. Until SCOTUS overturns precedent that is the way it is.

I truly understand some officers abuse their office but that has to be dealt with individually.

By the way.Louisiana law clearly states there are 4 classes of people the cannot be treated as trespassers in performance of their duties. 1. Firefighters 2. Medical Personnel 3. Utility workers 4. and you guessed it LAW ENFORCEMENT

The law isn't clear. SCOTUS made a poor ruling, just like upholding slavery across state lines.

You are terrible and those that are like you are terrible. I'd rather see 1,000 poachers go free than you violate one landowner's rights. PERIOD.

Last encounter I had with a game warden, a warden wrote me a ticket for riding my ATV on my own property saying it "disturbed my neighbor's turkey hunt". 1, he had no right to do so. 2, didn't ticket the neighbor for hunting outside of hours.

I wadded up the ticket and threw it at his face, told him to get off my property and never come back. For some reason, the warden didn't have the balls to show up to court. It was dismissed. I can't tell you how many times I'd called them for poachers spotlighting on our land when we DID give the warden permission to come and they wouldn't do jack. I have no use for the entire profession.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For the record, if a warden sets up a camera on my property without permission, I agree with the solution above...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tylerw02

The law isn't clear. SCOTUS made a poor ruling, just like upholding slavery across state lines.

You are terrible and those that are like you are terrible. I'd rather see 1,000 poachers go free than you violate one landowner's rights. PERIOD.

Last encounter I had with a game warden, a warden wrote me a ticket for riding my ATV on my own property saying it "disturbed my neighbor's turkey hunt". 1, he had no right to do so. 2, didn't ticket the neighbor for hunting outside of hours.

I wadded up the ticket and threw it at his face, told him to get off my property and never come back. For some reason, the warden didn't have the balls to show up to court. It was dismissed. I can't tell you how many times I'd called them for poachers spotlighting on our land when we DID give the warden permission to come and they wouldn't do jack. I have no use for the entire profession.
Sorry you had problems. Some game wardens are sorry people, most aren't.

Were you purposely trying to disrupt your neighbor's turkey hunt by running up and down the property line and admit you were trying to stop him from killing a turkey?

I'm terrible? I bet 90% of the hunters and fishermen I dealt with in my 30 years would disagree with you. Even a lot of the ones that got cited. But you made a judgement without much information.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'd be willing to bet that 95% of cases that GW's make are called in to them by somebody that's pissed off, don't like you, or just jealous.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by mirage243
I'd be willing to bet that 95% of cases that GW's make are called in to them by somebody that's pissed off, don't like you, or just jealous.

Around here anymore a GW won't come out unless there's a complaint.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry, but if I find a game cam or stand or whatever unpermitted on property where I'm in charge, that stuff is down. Trespassing is trespassing, period. Never mind GPS and cadastral records make finding property owners a total cakewalk, easy peasy.
FWP wants data, fine, but they dang well better ask first. They're the good guys, they should ACT like good guys, right?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mirage243

I don't know about 95%, that seems a little high. But any law enforcements greatest asset is informants, some of whom are as sorry as goose [bleep]. Rest assured LEOs know informants have motive for ratting out someone. It could be patriotism or good citizen desire to help out. In most cases we understood the informant didn't like the person he was informing on and had motive not necessarily good for informing. I didn't much concern myself with an informants motive near as much as I did his truthfulness. Informants are often criminals themselves and will lie or exaggerate for a variety of reasons.

An informant is understood to not like the one he is informing on or at least not liking his behavior.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

History is on the side of whomever wins the battle. So the government jack booted thugs won a court case in a court appointed and run by the jack booted thugs. And your validation for doing such things is the jack booted thugs said I could?

history is full of examples ya know.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
so.... after some research the Feds dismissed the claims, but allowed state claims to go through lower courts. The US disctrict Court found that under Bivens both officers acted within the law. mind you the landowner was on federal Probation for lacey act violations and the cameras were placed due to information that he had been guiding turkey hunts in vioation of his terms of probation. the feds concluded both officers were acting as federal officers which is why Bivens came int play. i'm willing to bet this gets kicked up and very likely barring explicit language in the Tenn state constiution this wont be an issue in the future

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tylerw02

Sorry you had problems. Some game wardens are sorry people, most aren't.

Were you purposely trying to disrupt your neighbor's turkey hunt by running up and down the property line and admit you were trying to stop him from killing a turkey?

I'm terrible? I bet 90% of the hunters and fishermen I dealt with in my 30 years would disagree with you. Even a lot of the ones that got cited. But you made a judgement without much information.

Of course I hadn't attempted to disrupt another's hunt nor would I admit to such. I wad driving my woods road as I did every single day of the year outside of firearms deer season.

Any who violates property rights without a warrant is, frankly terrible. Its anti-American.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Help me understand? Many times in my career I would hear shooting after sunset on private land that was undoubtedly the slaughter of wood ducks flying in to roost. Shooting would last only about 30 minutes and all shots were illegal and a duck roost shoot is unmistakable to any game warden. I probably had no idea who held title to the land and the shoot would be over shortly. The ducks are public property. If I come to a fence or a sign am I required in your way of thinking to turn around and go find a judge? What if I witness a trophy whitetail being shot at night on private property or just hear the distinctive sound of a high powered rifle strike flesh at night 1/2 mile away? Remember the game is public property and game wardens are in remote country a long ways from the judge. Remember I may have no idea who owns the property. I have been retired for 11 years and I understand some gamewardens are overbearing.

And when they screw with certain individuals they end up catching the Clinton flu like in St. Francisville

Just the facts Jack !

Are you referring to LDWF Agent Paul Stuckey who was found dead from a gunshot wound at a boat landing?

He died of the Clinton Flu didn’t he ?

Best advice for anyone to live by, especially an LEO that goes on suspicion. God gave man dominion over animals and told him to rise, kill, and eat. Start interfering with a man’s ability to provide for his family and you just might taste good with Tabasco sauce.

“I'm not interested in things that don't concern me” -Vito Corleone

I knew that agent well and his death was thoroughly investigated. It is about an absolutely sure thing that his own shotgun killed him. Apparently it was being kept barrel up and loaded with the safety in fire position. For some reason he pulled the gun out barrel first and the safety was off and the trigger contacted something that depressed it discharging a load of buckshot. I can promise you if there was any suspicion of murder it would still be being investigated. There was plenty of investigation by competent experts and no reason to believe it was anything other than a negligent discharge and terrible accident. We had Remington 870s and standard operating procedure was that the shotgun was to be transported with the magazine loaded and the chamber empty. Mine was carried right beside me barrel up, chamber empty, decocked (for unimpeded cycling) and safety engaged.

I can promise you that professionals can out wit your so called professionals that “thoroughly investigated”. A little magic dust and bada bing the script goes off like a broadway play.

Good day sir

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 03/25/22.
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,396
Posts18,488,877
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.