Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Wasn’t sure which sub forum best for the question. I’ll start here.

I have a stash of 00 buck, and an auto loader I’d like to be able to hold a pattern tight enough to 50 yards that would take out K9 sized critters or torsos of 2-leggeds if called upon for it. Chokes I have that came with the gun are good to 20 yards but past that not so hot. I realize the ammo selection could play a big part in pattern performance.

Not looking to debate caliber or shot size or any of that, what I have is what I have. Just wondering if one of the buckshot specific chokes was worth it and which one? Poking around I’ve found the Carlson’s and the kicks buck kicker.

Thanks

I went through a bunch of testing when I moved to Virginia since the club I hunted with was a dog hunting club during the regular season. I got an SX3 Winchester and on advice of some others I got a Kicks Buckkicker Full choke. I tested a bunch of ammo, all at 50 yards with an 18" circle.

My favorite combo was Winchester 3 1/2 00 Copper Plated that was rated at 1450 FPS I believe. That stuff had 15 pellets in it and would easily keep 14 pellets within the 18" circle. That same combo with the Kicks and Winchester 00 worked in a few other shotguns as well.

3" Hevi Shot 00 was also very good as well.

I shot ALOT of deer with the combo and at 50 yards in front of dogs it would slow a buck down and kill real well, usually pellets braking legs and passing through the chest.

At around 35 yards or so I swear it would knock them out of the air. I was never a believer in buckshot until I spent some time working with it and seeing how my gun liked certain combo's.

Winchester also ran a run of 000's as well in 3" that were demonly as well outta the gun.

Hope this helps out some.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

That Winchester HV in both 3" and 3.5" are bad dudes. In my experience, it is hit or miss on how it patterns. If you have a gun that patterns it well, it is bad medicine on a deer.

When I first spent good $ on the gun I always wanted (a Benelli SBE2), I shot a pile of buckshot trying to figure out what I wanted to hunt with. That gun shot the Win HV 3.5 into a nice even probably 20" pattern @ 40. The Rem 3.5, it shot real tight. It put that load into less than 12" @ 40. I couldn't decide which I wanted to hunt with, so I decided to alternate Rem, Win, Rem, Win. Tight ,loose, tight, ect.

The first time I had a chance to shoot a deer with it was at a 6 point buck running sideways to me at about 50 yards. At the second shot (Win), the recoil and report was so much more than the first shot that it broke my focus for a min. I thought it blew up my gun. I killed the buck, but I didn't do that anymore. Went with the cheaper and tighter Rem and never looked back. Until I started handloading them anyway.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MadDog4298
cs2blue

That flight control buckshot is the tightest shooting buckshot I have ever seen and it doesn’t need much choke for your line of work.

Well I agree when you start choking it down it starts opening up to a certain point you get to a full choke that and other varieties of cheaper stuff all choke down to about the same to about the same point of the flight control wad in a cylinder or improved cylinder
Is exactly what I have found when I actually did spend my own money on different buckshot and chokes my security gun with a 20 inch barrel actually has 13 different chokes ...

Last edited by ldholton; 04/08/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have the forcing cone reamed first.

It will make the shots transition thru the choke easier,it means tighter shot pattern.

For number 1 buckshot i like a modified but my Father's Savage 820B has a full choke and tears a large hole in deer out to 70 yards.

Usually the larger size buckshot pattern better in a more open choke.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Give them a call BGG. They’re nice folks.

Oh, and if you’re patterning for the best performance try cleaning your barrel with some acetone or similar. Get all of the crap and oil out of it if you wanna see what’s best. I learned that trick while patterning Turkey loads.

For hunting it doesn’t need to be that clean but if you’re spending the money on a choke tube and the good buckshot it might help to differentiate what you’re seeing on the pattern board.

I have an 870 turkey gun I had the forcing cones reamed in.
665 Kicks choke. It shot turkey loads so tight at 25 I put a dot on to better aim it.

Used to go to x card shoots with it, and it took awhile to learn to NOT clean it.
It shoots much better with some plastic build up.
Unfortunately with high dollar/hard kicking ammo, it's not practical to
truly test for everything.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Could be Dillonbuck. I learned to clean it spotless by the fella from Sumtoy chokes.

I’d try both ways I guess.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As many have posted.

There are no absolutes with shotguns.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by colorado bob
What choke do the police use in their riot shotguns?

Most police shotguns are cylinder bore. Designed for close range work.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As others have posted, the only way to find out
is shooting the individual shotgun for patterns.

Bubba Rountree Outdoors on yoofloob does a
lot of buckshot tests. Give them a look

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From watching several of Bubba's videos it is clear how he came by his screen name.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Full Choke with 00 Buck is usually NOT the best choice. A factory Modified choke will most often hold a better pattern to 40+ yards with 00 and 000Buck.

A full choke will usually print a better pattern with #1 and #4 buck.

But what do I know... only been patterning them for 45 years.

Kicks makes a great tube that i would recommend...

Each gun/shell combo is different and will need to be tuned.

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 04/11/22.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Buckshot77
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Wasn’t sure which sub forum best for the question. I’ll start here.

I have a stash of 00 buck, and an auto loader I’d like to be able to hold a pattern tight enough to 50 yards that would take out K9 sized critters or torsos of 2-leggeds if called upon for it. Chokes I have that came with the gun are good to 20 yards but past that not so hot. I realize the ammo selection could play a big part in pattern performance.

Not looking to debate caliber or shot size or any of that, what I have is what I have. Just wondering if one of the buckshot specific chokes was worth it and which one? Poking around I’ve found the Carlson’s and the kicks buck kicker.

Thanks

I went through a bunch of testing when I moved to Virginia since the club I hunted with was a dog hunting club during the regular season. I got an SX3 Winchester and on advice of some others I got a Kicks Buckkicker Full choke. I tested a bunch of ammo, all at 50 yards with an 18" circle.

My favorite combo was Winchester 3 1/2 00 Copper Plated that was rated at 1450 FPS I believe. That stuff had 15 pellets in it and would easily keep 14 pellets within the 18" circle. That same combo with the Kicks and Winchester 00 worked in a few other shotguns as well.

3" Hevi Shot 00 was also very good as well.

I shot ALOT of deer with the combo and at 50 yards in front of dogs it would slow a buck down and kill real well, usually pellets braking legs and passing through the chest.

At around 35 yards or so I swear it would knock them out of the air. I was never a believer in buckshot until I spent some time working with it and seeing how my gun liked certain combo's.

Winchester also ran a run of 000's as well in 3" that were demonly as well outta the gun.

Hope this helps out some.

That Winchester HV in both 3" and 3.5" are bad dudes. In my experience, it is hit or miss on how it patterns. If you have a gun that patterns it well, it is bad medicine on a deer.

When I first spent good $ on the gun I always wanted (a Benelli SBE2), I shot a pile of buckshot trying to figure out what I wanted to hunt with. That gun shot the Win HV 3.5 into a nice even probably 20" pattern @ 40. The Rem 3.5, it shot real tight. It put that load into less than 12" @ 40. I couldn't decide which I wanted to hunt with, so I decided to alternate Rem, Win, Rem, Win. Tight ,loose, tight, ect.

The first time I had a chance to shoot a deer with it was at a 6 point buck running sideways to me at about 50 yards. At the second shot (Win), the recoil and report was so much more than the first shot that it broke my focus for a min. I thought it blew up my gun. I killed the buck, but I didn't do that anymore. Went with the cheaper and tighter Rem and never looked back. Until I started handloading them anyway.

They do have a little extra stink on them grin

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The choke that works best for my sd 12 gauge is the regular Remington modified, it throws twelve 000 buck pellets into a 5"X7" pattern at 21 yards, dead in the middle of both furthest distances i can see in the house, for those that load or looking to load in these ammunition scarce times i cast the.360" diameter balls from 22 BHN alloy from a Lee Gang mold, four rows of three balls dropped in over a max dose of 800X compressed 50lbs with a winchester over powder wad in the clear 2-3/4" fiocchi hulls, no shot wad, it isn't needed, the load clocks just under 1200 fps.

A hell of a payload from a 2-3/4" hull, and one i'm sure would do the deal at 50 yards and beyond, 11 rounds of that super hard shot on board the old 870 is quite comforting, it just leans against a wall and waits.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
gunner500's illustrations of his modified choke used with buckshot load.
Heck of a handload.
Reminds me of the effectiveness and utility of the .458 Winchester Magnum.
Best all around, outstanding in its field.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If I get a chance I’ll run a few of my loads thru. Been awhile since I’ve put them on paper. I know they worked though. It was like Minute Rice, danged things were always good to go.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Many thanks for posting those pics Riflecrank, that's the second time I've took a pic of that pattern, first one was because i heard a bud's bud and his son laughing about a shotgun, "yeah, throw it up and yank the trigger, you dont even have to aim" crazy..............i took a pic later and sent it to my bud, told him to send it to them, yes, even shotguns have to be aimed, a 5"X7" pattern in a house at 21 yards would be easy to miss a soon to be room temp felon without aiming LOL.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sometimes you need to walk them in… grin

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, best max payload i could dream up on the 2-3/4" hull Big B, another bud brought out hams, turkeys, chickens, old carhart coats, long handle shirts, duct tape and rope, i tore his chit up bad with that hard shot load man, we couldn't catch one damn pellet. cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, good hard buckshot is hard on meat and bones.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir, and heavy clothing too, i think my 22 BHN pellets are much harder than standard lead or even copper coated pellets.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Like BGG is looking for, i had at least 8 different choke tubes firing 21 yards at spray painted dots that day, the Modified won out with this load.

Trump Won!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (260Remguy, 338rcm, 300_savage, 12344mag, 219DW, 1lesfox, 52 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,617
Posts18,473,985
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.