Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Guys - I am wanting a custom single shot in a .264 or .257 caliber -- something for everything from coyotes to elk. I reload, but I don't want to get into something too exotic or detailed. My basic choice would be a .260 Remington. I would prefer an Encore base to build off from, adding a custom stock with a thumbhole and a barrel. This will be a hunting rifle, not a benchrest rifle, so I want to keep the weight down. I need common-sense advice in approaching this in order to keep costs down. I'm hesitant to buy a whole rifle off the rack if I don't plan on using the stock or barrel, but again this is new ground for me. I've owned a number of NEF single-shots but I have no experience with Encores or Rugers. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
An Encore system is very versital. You can get barrels in any length and caliber you desire. Just ask me as I have over 15 barrels. There are several companies who custom make barrels as well as TC Custom shop. Cost runs from under $200 to sky is the limit for a barrel. They tend to be very accurate, but do need the trigger reworked, as the factory trigger leaves a lot to be desired. There is also a ton of after market stocks and forearms available

Every shooter/hunter have different opinions. Mine is that the Encore system is very hard to beat

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks, DaGriz. So, can anyone tell me more about the T/C Custom Shop? I have tried to get information off their web page but haven't learned much. We have dial-up so its not reasonable for me to download their catalog. Is there a list of available calibers available? Can I order just a receiver and have aftermarket stock and barrel installed. I guess I better search their site better and find a customer service number.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't know if you can buy just an action from TC . I'm thinking you have to buy the whole gun. FoxRidge ,(TC'S custom shop) barrels are pretty decent barrels. Depending on what you want to do with it. For a hunting rifle barrel they shoot real well. I have several and am quite pleased with them. Encore system is not really designed to be a bench target rifle.
You can order the complete gun with whatever barrel you want on it , plus choose from several stock designs and configurations, from TC Custom BUT..... be preparted to wait quite a while. They are way behind on the production so expect at least 9-12 weeks; unless they have exactly what you want all ready in stock.
You may have better luck finding what you want at a stocking dealer.
www.BoydsGunsstocks.com makes real nice laminated stocks and forearms for Encores.
Match Grade Nachine ( www.matchgrademachine.com ) makes excellent barrels as does Bullberry, ( www.bullberry.com ) and On Target Technology. EABCO ( www.eabco.com ) also makes barrels and sell complete Encores as well as stocks and barrels. I personally do not like EABCO.
Mike Bellm ( www.bellmtcs.com ) , IMO, is by far the most knowledgeable person on accurizing, triggers jobs and enhancing Encore actions to make them near perfect and 100% dependable. He offers a wealth of knowledge on his website

Last edited by DaGriz; 10/01/07.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Good information, thanks. I found the customer service number and talked to a lady at T/C. She is sending me a catalog. I went to the bullberry web site. Some of the more interesting calibers they provide barrels for include:
25-08
.257 Roberts Imp.
.25-284
250 Gibbs
6.5 x 55 Swede
6.5 x 57 Mauser
6.5 - .284
6.5 Gibbs
and of course, the .260.

Any thoughts on calibers above? I want a caliber where the dies and brass are not too difficult to obtain.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a couple of those calibers I The 6.5x284 has been legitamized by Norma and factory ammo is now available. It is one of my favorite cailbers. The 257Robt AI is a great round. I absolutely love mine and use it for all deer sized critters and varmints. Extremely accurate. Plus it's a TC barrel. The 6.5x55 is an excellent cartrdige, but does best with handloads as factory loads are pretty enemic. The others have their advantages. Those three I listed, IMO come to the top of the heap, most all the time

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You can get nice thumbhole stocks from Fox Ridge Outfitters and Cabela's for the Encore. I have a Realtree Hardwoods composite version and a walnut version from Fox Ridge Outfitters that I really like. The composite stock is the one I like for hunting. The wooden stock is a bit heavier but, it being an Encore, still isn't all that heavy.

You can get a new Encore frame on gunbroker.com any time you like. If you're willing to wait and don't mind a lightly used one, those are available there as well. Then you'll probably want to send the frame for a trigger job.

All of my barrels are factory except one and all shoot well. The factory barrels will fit the factory stocks. Some of the custom barrels don't fit the composite stock or require special hangers.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Lipseys has a ruger #1 in 6.5x55 only 250 made got mine about 3 weeks ago it is 38" long really handy and shoots good so far. its not custom but it was just what I wanted. might want to check it out

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Also not Encore information, but you can get a used Ruger #1 and have it rebarreled with a quality barrel (Montana Rifleman, Shilen, Pac-Nor, Douglas, etc.) in .257 or .264. If the gunsmith is experienced in #1's, he can handle the forearm treatments to accurize it at the same time. Single set triggers are available for the Ruger #1 and, altogether, this makes for a really nice package.

.30-06 Springfield: 100 yrs + and still going strong
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ruger #1's are great rifles. They are a dream to handle and shoot. Some do need a lot of work on the forearm and sometimes the barrel to get them to shoot good. My #1's shoot well and look very nice I enjoy sooting them and hunting with them, To me they are truely a classic rifle. The falling block system is very strong. It's something to consider, but cost will be more than an Encore system and you won't have the change a barrel option.

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The #1s have interested me for years. Matt, how much does your 6.5x55 weigh? My current truck gun is a youth model NEF in .243. It gets treated like dirt but I can't believe how well it shoots.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A Ruger #1 in 1A configuration (22' barrel) or RSI configuration (20" barrel) weighs 7Lbs without a scope. A #1B configuration ( 24" Std barrel) weighs 7.5lbs without a scope. That is with wood stock, as the come from the factory.

Last edited by DaGriz; 10/02/07.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I know Ruger No. 1 fans are pretty loyal, but I've been reluctant to buy a No. 1 because I heard they are expensive compared to the quality. Of course, that has not stopped me from owning four Mini-14s. Does Savage still make anything besides a .22 Hornet in a single-shot? Are the Browning Hi-Walls and Low-Walls too heavy and expensive?

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H

Acts 10:9-13
My hunting journal:
pete.scpredatorcontrol.com
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Everyone has their personal preference. I own Browning, Ruger #1's Encore Sharps single shots. I like them all. IMO dollar for dollar; it is really hard to beat an Encore System . The convience of changing barrels is terrific. You can find really great used actions for a very reasonable price, Barrels in most any chambering, are reaily available. The mirade of stocks and forearms provides a lot of options. The pluses of going with an Encore system are many.
You have to decide what best works and fits for you, Ruger #1, Browning 78, Encore, Dakota Arms single shot, etc. They are all good and all have good points and drawbacks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (7mm_Loco, 35, Allen Martin, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,481
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.