Print Thread
Hop To
I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
So I have this early thirties era by SN, Oberndorf Mauser commercial sporter in 8x60 "Magnum". See pix below. Reasonable to consider converting to such as 9.3 x 57 or better x 62? I'd like to keep the original barrel & fittings so re-boring preferable. Ultimate is balance between making more functional while staying with basic action largely undisturbed. I've heard that the x60 pushed the Standard Mauser action length but 'worked as maxing out such capability. Figure a 9.3 diameter bullet would possibly be sufficiently larger in diameter to be shorter & perhaps also to 'fit' without substantial receiver & mag box modifications!
Thoughts, considerations, suggestions.... Appreciated! smile
Best!

John

Attached Images
R56-2.jpg (18.47 KB, 307 downloads)
R56-3U.jpg (16.03 KB, 304 downloads)
R56-5.jpg (21.84 KB, 300 downloads)
R56-15U.jpg (16.51 KB, 298 downloads)
R56-23U.jpg (26.51 KB, 296 downloads)
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own dozens of Mausers made at Oberndorf, but they are all military surplus.
If I had a Oberndorf commercial rifle, I would leave it box stock as a collector.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If it were mine, I’d let it be. Might consider RN bullets since it wears irons.

Found this:

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/cartridge-board-8

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I too would leave the heck alone. Nothing like knocking $500+ off its value by reboring it, especially when the gain is only a silly millimeter or so in bullet diameter. If magazine length is truly an issue, jockeying bullet designs/lengths/weights should accommodate that, and if not then learn to live with it unless it's your only rifle and you are being forced to make it really versatile for a wide range of tasks.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Easy Peasy to have it rebored and then chambered to 9,3x62 with minimal effort and modifcations.

Curious as to why you want to alter it? What is not functional?

The 8x60 is a great cartridge. Not substantially better performance wise than the 8x57 but still better. Sadly, every original 8x60 I've ever gotten has had a bad bore.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Easiest way to bubba a classic rifle I can think of.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
One man's opinion, but basically you have an 8mm-06 (IMO one of the most useful wildcats ever) and you need to change it? No game animal on earth would perceive the difference, I have owned both by the way.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Assuming it's .323, not .318?

I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Hi All & thanks for the opinions/guidance. Appreciated, for sure.

I've been on the fence for some years now, re rechambering this rifle. Bought it quite reasonably in eighties with some stock damage negotiation room. 'Functionally' OK but 'beyond ever making pretty'! Metal quite presentable. All original & matching that I can determine. I've a small collection of "Obies" including a pair of late 1913 SN dated type M carbines in 8x57 (necessarily "J" bore). Acquired over a decade apart and some thousand miles or so between acquisition locations. Consecutive serial numbers, go figure!
More focused on intermediate length models in 7x57. With such 'round top, single & double square bridge editions attained.

The prevalent advice "leave the subject 8x60 alone", my about standard line, either in fact of residual originality as most folks here! That or for cause of 'not worth' whatever alteration investment proposed.
Mine here, other than 'rotely' Obie collectible context, Model "B" sporter with damaged wood & unpopular chambering... No apparent huge collectability factor. Even 'if converted, I'd not scope it in any case! Likely I'll end up "conjuring more".

In matter of existent chambering, Pappy, thanks for the info reference. Informative! Sounds like a really decent cartridge... Useful perhaps as Walmart stocks it! smile

Mr Z thanks for the info. I was hoping you'd weigh in! Still would appreciaa your estimate your 'average' costopinion re of such work, time involved, etc. I'd want to try to keep all including finish original as possible!

Again, thanks all for your views/info!
Best!
John

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Since I don't rebore, I'd say contact those that do for an estimate. For your purposes, just a rebore and rechamber. I'd also measure the mag box to see the Max COAL. From what I hear, these can run as littlie as $250-$300. Here's a link to several reboring outfits. I have a buddy that recently had a rifle rebored, and was very happy. I'll see who he used. I'd call several if I was you since some will only rebore a barrel with a minimum muzzle diameter. Check with them to see if yours is a candidate. Me, I'd be all over a 9,3x62.

https://www.riflemagazine.com/reboring-rifle-barrels

IC B3

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Coincidentally, I have a barrel from an Original Mauser Sporting rifle chambered in 8x60 in my shop. I've pondered what to do with it. Have thought of contouring a new barrel to one of several chamberings and then fitting all the original sights and bands. I've also contemplated reboring.

I
iskra Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
This Obie, my only such within wider category as potentially 'work in progress'... "Good to go functionally as is, yet 'potential unrealized'. Re the bore diameter the 'assumption' of .323 as per SN, made in 1931. If to rebore, no worries. If I don't, determine only if desire to shoot which as 8x60 'unlikely'!
Thanks for all the input & food for thought! i'll probably casually look into costs which with inflation alone may dictate "leave be'!
Thanks Mr. Z for the input/insight/suggestions.
Best!
John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 35, 338Rules, 358WCF, 58 invisible), 2,830 guests, and 1,398 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,684
Posts18,534,422
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.