Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I got bit on the heel about 40 years ago. Lots of necrotic tissue the diameter of a silver dollar was removed by the doc. A new gel pad treatment for burn victims had just come out and I applied that to the heel twice a day for six months. On crutches the whole time. For decades the heel continued to generate a thick callous as a reaction, and I had to reduce it regularly with a pumice stone. Still need to do that, from time to time.

Had an friend who got bit on the arm. He was diabetic and it could not heal. Worked its way into the bone marrow and he was a goner.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep. Outter thigh, right leg. Still have a dimple from being bitten when I was a kid. Remember my mother panicking and rushing me to the Doc. I don't recall the adverse effects, thankfully.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by hanco
In my dick, Man it swole up big time!

Did you still need tweezers and a magnifier to go pee after that bug bite?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good friend of mine from NM lost almost all of his left ear from a brown recluse bite. Dr's also had to go in and clean out some of his ear and nasal passages as the rot was spreading there. Nasty stuff.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Son was. Since I knew a couple people who’d been through the long, messy process I did some searching and found an article about treating the wound with a nitroglycerine patch to increase bloodflow and prevent necrosis. Showed the doctor, who said it couldn’t hurt and prescribed the patches. Put them over the blister and in no time it healed up with no scar or hole. Patches cost about $2 IIRC, but do need a script.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Woke up one morning trying to figure out how I broke my thumb while sleeping. Told wife I was going to have to go to the doctor to get it looked at as I couldn’t move it and it was swelled up. Legitimately thought it was broken. Took a shower and was looking at pain area and see 2 fang marks right on the pointiest part of my thumb knuckle. Crap. Spider bite. Tell her I need to get to doctor and she starts getting ready. In that 10 minutes the red lines started running up my arm from the bite site.

We get to hospital about 40 minutes later and red lines are halfway up my forearm.

Doc comes in a few minutes later. Reading paperwork, sees my arm, “oh [bleep]” he says. Grabs a sharpie and marks the red marks now halfway up my upper arm. Brings some nurses in and they administer a couple different IVs. Within minutes of them starting I could see the red lines start receding.

He gives me 4 different prescriptions for a 2 week period. Took like 14 pills a day.

After about 5 days, went to dads, forgot pills at his house. The next day I’m at work and look at my arm and it’s got red lines starting up from my thumb. Called dad and he drives the 100 miles with my pills. Finished them out and was good as new.

The doctor said they treat brown recluse and black widows and whatever else we have locally with basically the same treatment. Said what saved my “flesh” was likely the bite site had zero muscle under it, was just the skin right on top of the knuckle, so nothing for the poison to really work on.

Kinda scary watching red lines creeping up your arm and then watching them receed back down after a few IVs.

What medication was it?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Got bit by one on the inside of my left thigh up by you know what...

Went red and a swollen ring around the bite to turning black...eventually the skin etc died and a plug came out.

I was relieved it bit my thigh and nothing else!

Regards

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yup. Last week of high school in Georgia. Out in the boonies doing stuff, got a little scuffed up and the bastid got lucky and bit me in an open cut...right into the bloodstream. Long story short, swoll up, turned purple all over, full blown anaphylaxis, into the ER where they shot me full of something...I suspect epinephrine....and I passed out. delerium, fever, chills, etc. and woke up four days later. Necrosis went barely into the shin bone and I still have a divot on the spot.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No, but I've been bitten by a brown pelican.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just came across this by"accident", in case anyone is interested. The 4+ minute clip has a description of someone who treated their 2yo successfully.

After you're done, take time to check out the answer to, What does God say one must do to go to heaven?
Details in the links below.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 03/26/22.
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Originally Posted by hanco
In my dick, Man it swole up big time!

Did you still need tweezers and a magnifier to go pee after that bug bite?

Not for a couple days, do now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plumbum
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Woke up one morning trying to figure out how I broke my thumb while sleeping. Told wife I was going to have to go to the doctor to get it looked at as I couldn’t move it and it was swelled up. Legitimately thought it was broken. Took a shower and was looking at pain area and see 2 fang marks right on the pointiest part of my thumb knuckle. Crap. Spider bite. Tell her I need to get to doctor and she starts getting ready. In that 10 minutes the red lines started running up my arm from the bite site.

We get to hospital about 40 minutes later and red lines are halfway up my forearm.

Doc comes in a few minutes later. Reading paperwork, sees my arm, “oh [bleep]” he says. Grabs a sharpie and marks the red marks now halfway up my upper arm. Brings some nurses in and they administer a couple different IVs. Within minutes of them starting I could see the red lines start receding.

He gives me 4 different prescriptions for a 2 week period. Took like 14 pills a day.

After about 5 days, went to dads, forgot pills at his house. The next day I’m at work and look at my arm and it’s got red lines starting up from my thumb. Called dad and he drives the 100 miles with my pills. Finished them out and was good as new.

The doctor said they treat brown recluse and black widows and whatever else we have locally with basically the same treatment. Said what saved my “flesh” was likely the bite site had zero muscle under it, was just the skin right on top of the knuckle, so nothing for the poison to really work on.

Kinda scary watching red lines creeping up your arm and then watching them receed back down after a few IVs.

What medication was it?

It’s been 10 years and I don’t recall. 1 was an antibiotic. 1 was a steroid I think??? Don’t remember the other 2.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Not that I’m aware of and I’ve dealt with plenty of them as well as Black Widows. A paramedic buddy of mine that I worked with went to Arizona for a conference and when he woke up one morning his throat and tongue felt swollen. He recognized that he might be having an anaphylactic reaction but he didn’t know to what so he went to the ER. They determined he’d been bitten on his tongue by a black widow. They didn’t give him anti venom because they thought he was tolerating the toxin and through the worst of it. I think he got some epi and maybe Benadryl. They told him that is was more common than people realize but when he was sleeping and snoring a spider crawled into his open mouth and bit him.

That information was enough to make me never sleep again…that was about 30 years ago and I haven’t slept a wink since. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
I hate Godddamn spiders.

No kidding. My own personal Hell would be locked for eternity in a room full of bugs.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
I hate Godddamn spiders.

No kidding. My own personal Hell would be locked for eternity in a room full of bugs.

That would be bad but spending eternity surrounded by dipshits like Jeff0 and pelosi would be many orders of magnitude worse.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
I hate Godddamn spiders.

That would be bad but spending eternity surrounded by dipshits like Jeff0 and pelosi would be many orders of magnitude worse.

Truth.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I talked to a guy at dialysis that said the spyder bite shut his kidneys down.
I don't know the details, except he was asleep.

Last edited by poboy; 03/26/22.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by poboy
I talked to a guy at dialysis that said the spyder bite shut his kidneys down.
I don't know the details, except he was asleep.

I’m sure that a secondary infection as a result of the bite could affect renal function. I did home dialysis for a younger guy that had a tooth infection that wiped out his kidney function. By and large unchecked diabetes and uncontrolled hypertension seemed to be the biggest cause of renal failure that I dealt with.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I kill black widows all the time around here. Wouldn't know a brown recluse if it uh, bit me.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 01Foreman400, 21, 54 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,457
Posts18,489,764
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.