Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#17103057 03/26/22
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Buddy of mine has a fairly new hobby: astrophotography. I've been out with him a half dozen times over the past winter and have been fascinated with his knowledge and skills, and the stuff he's managed to capture. I've learned about some necessary things like polar alignment, plate solving and the setup of his rig. He's only been at this for about a year and a half and it blows me away that he's been able to learn and capture incredible images of things up and out there in the sky. Some of the things are way out there. I mean, WAY out there. The shots of Pleiades and the Horse Head nebula for example, are about 5000 light years distant. Something in the 42 trillion miles away range, I think he said it was. Anyway, thought some would get a kick out of his stuff. Soundtrack included. wink

Nebulas he's shot include Rosette, Veil, Horse Head, Elephant Trunk, Flame. Also pics of Whirlpool Galaxy, Jupiter (check our Titan and its shadow on planet's surface), Saturn, moon and many others. I was pretty surprised at the kind of things you can see with some gear designed and priced to be within reach of the average Joe.

Here's Bill. And yes, he's yet another dude I met out with the dogs in the wee hours of the morning and blindly accosted with my questions. I think I opened with, "Hey there. Sorry to bug you but I'm curious; what are you targeting with your Photon Torpedo?" wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Great pictures.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interestinger and interestinger. You post some cool threads. Not remove your kidneys cool with pics and all but still top 5 consistently.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
WOW...

Very cool hobby.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That's pretty bad ass.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Would never tire of looking at the beyond. Good for him. Terrific he shared with you, and you us.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Wow great pictures. Thanks for putting those up. I love looking at the long distance quality star system shots.

Did he give any indication on the investment $ in this hobby?

Hugh
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Interestinger and interestinger. You post some cool threads. Not remove your kidneys cool with pics and all but still top 5 consistently.

Awesome pics. Always been a fan of the night sky.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Super badass!

Wow!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty cool stuff.

Hazard a guess that one does not get into the astrophotography hobby on the cheap.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fantastic pictures. Please thank your friend for allowing us the privlege of seeing them.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Thanks muchacho. Slummy, you heard the man. You're up!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Awesome pics Kamo.

Used to have big gatherings on the U of A mall that I would always attend. See some amazing things and learn a lot!

Regards

Hello! Nice images! Great to meet a fellow Astrophotographer on here. It is a huge passion of mine for many years and a lot of my images have been published in telescope magazines and social media. Please feel free to check out my website " Blue Ridge Observatory" Here is my web address Blue Ridge Observatory [/url]https://www.blueridge-observatory.com I love deep space astrophotography, asteroid & Super Nova hunting, and Spectroscopy. Clear Skies!
Dave

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I like the night sky but when I think of the distances that I can't even fathom, I get a head ache. Mind blowing distances.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by HughW
Wow great pictures. Thanks for putting those up. I love looking at the long distance quality star system shots.

Did he give any indication on the investment $ in this hobby?

As in the quote in the Road Warrior: "Speed is just a matter of money; how fast do ya wanna' go?"

To answer your question, I asked and Bill said his first setup was somewhere in the $2500 range. His current one I believe he said ran about $4500. It's also not just a matter of buy and play, and he's constantly upgrading his setup with things like filters, stabilizers, heat bands, power sources and more. In addition to the gear, the tech/software knowledge necessary has a pretty steep learning curve. He's great about explaining things to me but in particular some of the stuff was, frankly, something I'd have to sit down and work to understand. Pretty sure Bill is a software developer/IT guy by profession, so the stuff may seem kind of like second nature to him, but without doubt to run this gear you need to know what you're doing. I have standing request with him to let me tag along if he feels like company and seems OK with me badgering him with questions, smoking butts and drinking vodka. Works for me.

wink

Thanks for the comments and by all means I'll let him know his stuff is appreciated.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

To me this looks like the grim reaper on his way.

(actually semi frightening)

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
I have standing request with him to let me tag along if he feels like company and seems OK with me badgering him with questions, smoking butts and drinking vodka. Works for me.

Sometimes those questions help us .. by trying to figure out how to present what we're doing to other people we have to clarify otherwise mushy thinking. You might be doing him a favor that balances the one he does you.

Those are REALLY cool pictures.

Night sky in high, lonesome places without much light pollution make me feel small, insignificant .. which can be freeing. The world is not really riding on my shoulders, I only make a difference in the smallest of ways. So .. I might as well fish. smile

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Incredible photos.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 59 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,147
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.