Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffA
Dollar General is probably one of the larger success stories in recent history for brick and mortar marketing......even though most are made of tin.

They found a niche and worked like hell to make it happen, Hats off to um.
One of the few that have hurt Walmart.

So far Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Washington and Wyoming have remained immune.

I know a contractor that puts up a lot of their buildings in this area. He told me DG's business model was catching Walmart customers before they could get to Walmart.

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gregintenn: Well there are lots of them in the Rocky Mountain west - I seldom leave here anymore so not sure about other parts of the country.
Imagine my surprise when a while back I stop in at my local "Dollar Store" to buy my monthly small bag of Australian Black Licorice and the counterlady wanted 25 more cents for it!
I guess they should be called Dollar & A Quarter Stores now?
Times, they are a changin.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had to take an emergent dump once while at Dollar General. It was terrifying. My sack was kissing the terlot water, someone kept jiggling the door handle rushing me. Had to wipe my hind end with some of those recycled brown paper towels.
Should have just crapped behind their dumpster.

Still a great store.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
I had to take an emergent dump once while at Dollar General. It was terrifying. My sack was kissing the terlot water, someone kept jiggling the door handle rushing me. Had to wipe my hind end with some of those recycled brown paper towels.

Still a great store.

Around here you gotta ask for the key..,.

Guess too many folks leaving loggerheads in the bowl and bouncing

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
the communists running my county have spent $720,000 so far trying to ban a Doller General from building a store in a tiny local rural community. They have no store of any kind and the folks have to drive a minimum of a 30 mile round trip to buy a loaf of bread. The county commissars feel the store does not fit the 'theme' of the community.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by JeffA
Dollar General is probably one of the larger success stories in recent history for brick and mortar marketing......even though most are made of tin.

They found a niche and worked like hell to make it happen, Hats off to um.
One of the few that have hurt Walmart.

So far Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Washington and Wyoming have remained immune.

I know a contractor that puts up a lot of their buildings in this area. He told me DG's business model was catching Walmart customers before they could get to Walmart.

I've read in some business journals where it's said that DG has taken 12 to 15% of WMs business. That's a staggering number.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Still a great store.

Oh yea same here.

Had a chunk of 2x4 about 1ft long attached to it. All wrapped up in hot pink duct tape.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Still a great store.

Oh yea same here.

Had a chunk of 2x4 about 1ft long attached to it. All wrapped up in hot pink duct tape.

When I was a kid, the little store up the road from us had a bathroom key chained to an old shock absorber from a dump truck. You didn’t accidentally misplace that.
You had to be fairly fit just to get it from the counter to the restroom and back.

Last edited by gregintenn; 03/27/22.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Dollar Generals sub in for the word strippers.
I need to learn photo shop skillz....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I think there are now over a million of these damned things in Tennessee alone. Are they everywhere, or just a southern thing?

I live out in the sticks, and there are five of them within a five mile radius of here.

Yeah, they were up and down Virginia's eastern shore, about every few miles, either Family Dollar or Dollar General, doesn't seem like a nickel's difference between them. I don't like them because they are displacing similar but family owned local stores, some that sold less variety, some, like our little town grocery store, had more variety, including produce and a real meat department and a deli with some of the best fried chicken on the shore. Yeah, it's prices were a little higher but it saved a trip to the next town often times, whereas Dollar General didn't have produce or meat. Here in my new home, in middle TN, there's one 3 miles from us, another about two more miles towards town and another, bigger version a couple miles in the other direction.
I guess it must be okay though, we the lemmings of America have voted, and just like WalMart, they won...

Last edited by OMCHamlin; 03/27/22.
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My biggest problem with Dolla Genrul is they are too cheap to hire enough people to stock their shelves.

Every one of them around here has boxes of stuff setting in the aisles, and you have to climb over a pallet of shìt to get to the pop tarts.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ours just went to $1.25 store.

Bb

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I think there are now over a million of these damned things in Tennessee alone. Are they everywhere, or just a southern thing?

I live out in the sticks, and there are five of them within a five mile radius of here.

They and the other "Dollar" stuff were supreme investment in the day....

I invested in these stores' stocks 15 years ago, Wish I put more money in

Yep.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

All the local mom & pop owned/operated grocery stores closed a good while before Dollar General and long before Family Dollar built here. The only one that closed after DG located here was actually a regional chain owned store and operated by hired help. Their prices simply kept getting higher and higher to the point locals started buying much of their daily incidental needs at DG and did serious grocery shopping at big national chain grocery stores in larger nearby towns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

All the local mom & pop owned/operated grocery stores closed a good while before Dollar General and long before Family Dollar built here. The only one that closed after DG located here was actually a regional chain owned store and operated by hired help. Their prices simply kept getting higher and higher to the point locals started buying much of their daily incidental needs at DG and did serious grocery shopping at big national chain grocery stores in larger nearby towns.

Places they are putting the DG’s around here never had a nana n’ pop store.

Unless it was 50 years ago....

Whatever triggers it - road traffic volume, ppl per square mile or a dart thrown at a map. Works.

Not sure I’ve seen a former DG. Only an empty building cause the moved to build a larger location.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They have their place.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by auk1124
My biggest problem with Dolla Genrul is they are too cheap to hire enough people to stock their shelves.

Every one of them around here has boxes of stuff setting in the aisles, and you have to climb over a pallet of shìt to get to the pop tarts.

........... Last year when they couldn't find enough people to work; there was one around here that had so much of a problem with stocking shelves that they actually cut back on the hours they were open. It was getting to be ridiculous with all the stuff piled up in the aisles, and one person running back & forth between the register and the shelf stocking.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hastings
I love Dollar General. One about 3 1/2 miles up the road. I dislike going to town especially Walmart.

^^^This^^^
Although the closest to me is 12 Miles.
And they have better prices on most things than Walmart or the Grocery Store. Fugg Walmart.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Originally Posted by auk1124

........... Last year when they couldn't find enough people to work; there was one around here that had so much of a problem with stocking shelves that they actually cut back on the hours they were open. It was getting to be ridiculous with all the stuff piled up in the aisles, and one person running back & forth between the register and the shelf stocking.

Yeah
That's the " everybody does everything all the time "
business plan. Used to be there were full time cashiers
that only checked customers, and full time stockers
that only stocked shelves, and everything got done
instead of the half a$$ed way things get done now.
Semi-related to the old plan of hiring on merit and
experience and an affinity for the job instead of
someone that a HR department hires

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a couple varieties of dollar stores everywhere. I've spent practically nothing in them. I work near a Meijers and a Walmart so I'm near the big box stores 6 out of 7 days. The owners of a local party store wanted to sell their place but was a bit late as a Dollar General opened a 1/2 mile away. That had to hurt.

What I've noticed is none of them sell gasoline. That might get me to stop in.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 62 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,450
Posts18,471,039
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.