-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wondering if anyone has used the Nosler solid copper 140gr in 7mm? How does it shoot, terminal performance?

Thanks in advance

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Might want to look at the LEHIGH DEFENSE 142 GR 7 mm.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve use Barnes 140’s, they work fine, so will the Nosler bullet. It’s all about hitting them in the right place. Any gut shot animal will go a long way.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never ever had a problem with the 139grain Hornady sp flatbase which may have less bc but holds together better than the btsp in various 7 's and my 7mm Rem mags. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Never ever had a problem with the 139grain Hornady sp flatbase which may have less bc but holds together better than the btsp in various 7 's and my 7mm Rem mags. Mb

I like that bullet in my 7mm-08’s, second only to the 120 gr. Ballistic Tip or the 120 gr. TTSX.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WV_Airedale
Wondering if anyone has used the Nosler solid copper 140gr in 7mm? How does it shoot, terminal performance?

Thanks in advance

Do you mean the E-tip?

They’ll sail through critters.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shot the Nosler Etips in a 270win and later a 280AckImp. Both were accurate, probably more so in the 280AI. The Etip fouled terribly in both. I did kill a deer with the 130gr from the 270. Shot distance was about 95yds. Not much of a blood trail. Recovered bullet from which wound I'm not sure. Perfect mushroom about 96% weight retention. They bullet will do its job, but doesn't really expand like a cup / core bullet. I can't get past the fouling and the lack of blood trails. I personally ain't spending the money on the Etip anymore, and if I had to use a monolithic bullet I'd choose a Hornady GMX (now called the CX). After using the mono bullets in 224, 264, 277, and 284 from Barnes, Hornady and Nosler, I'd choose the Hornady 1st, Barnes 2nd, and Nosler last.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The copper fouling problems with the original X and blue powder coated XBT in a 270 Weatherby and a 240 Weatherby has kept me away from monos for over 20 years. Not to mention Barnes anti lead propaganda bullshit....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

These...they've worked for me since putting together my first 7X57 in the early 80s. I've used others that have worked equally well, but always expect success with the Hornadys.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Hook

These...they've worked for me since putting together my first 7X57 in the early 80s. I've used others that have worked equally well, but always expect success with the Hornadys.

in my two 7 x 57s ( one Ruger and one Featherweight) I pretty much use the 140 grain Ballistic tip or the 139 Hornady SP.... prefer the flat base, but I guess they discontinued that one and kept the BT/SP one.... some one's an idiot upstairs at Hornady evidently....

my other bullets that are left still available on the market... and I've still got a good supply... the 160 gr Speer SP...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire

in my two 7 x 57s ( one Ruger and one Featherweight) I pretty much use the 140 grain Ballistic tip or the 139 Hornady SP.... prefer the flat base, but I guess they discontinued that one and kept the BT/SP one.... some one's an idiot upstairs at Hornady evidently....

my other bullets that are left still available on the market... and I've still got a good supply... the 160 gr Speer SP...

Seafire,

I like the 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip, the 120 Sierra ProHunter, and the Sierra 140 GameKing really well from my 7x57.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought a bunch of 140 grain Partitions a while back and have steadily used them until I am down to 50 or so. I highly recommend that bullet in the 7x57 or 7-08, I cannot fathom a better hunting bullet for those cartridges.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by 84Mtn_EER

Seafire,

I like the 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip, the 120 Sierra ProHunter, and the Sierra 140 GameKing really well from my 7x57.

My particular rifle I could not get it to shoot 140 grain bullets very well. I went with the 120 pro hunter to try and it grouped really well in my particular rifle. Only had a chance to try one out on a big doe about 150 yards away this year. Bullet went in one shoulder and exited through the opposite shoulder and she dropped in her tracks. I was very happy with the performance and accuracy of these bullets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Hornady 7mm 139 Interlock flat base is still listed on their webpage.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Elvis

I wonder it is there because they were too lazy to clean up their offerings...

or

enough of us bitched about it and they are bringing it back...

I hate how companies ditch bullets that they have made and they have worked for decades and then try to replace it with something " new and high tech" that doesn't work worth crap....

you often wonder if the people who make these bullets actually ever use them themselves.. and the ones that worked for decades were developed by people before them, that actually went out and developed them...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Elvis

I wonder it is there because they were too lazy to clean up their offerings...

or

enough of us bitched about it and they are bringing it back...

I hate how companies ditch bullets that they have made and they have worked for decades and then try to replace it with something " new and high tech" that doesn't work worth crap....

you often wonder if the people who make these bullets actually ever use them themselves.. and the ones that worked for decades were developed by people before them, that actually went out and developed them...

^^^^^ I agree. ^^^^^

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by rickt300
I bought a bunch of 140 grain Partitions a while back and have steadily used them until I am down to 50 or so. I highly recommend that bullet in the 7x57 or 7-08, I cannot fathom a better hunting bullet for those cartridges.

I used them for years, but couldn’t get them, tried ballistic tips. They killed deer and pigs just as well and were half the price.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hornady's propensity to discontinue classic offerings is why I rarely use their bullets.....ever. Examples are endless---the 6 mm flat base 100 gr was my last straw. Not buying their [bleep] anymore. Moved to the Speer 100 gr Grand Slalami because there is a reasonable chance that it will remain available.

Last edited by PA_Bob; 03/27/22.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Get a real bullet- Partition 140, better yet 150.......

If you live anyplace that requires a copper joke bullet - move.....

Also- they won't make them anyway... Greedy bastards...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 32 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,245
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.