-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
This new guy from over at AO has a question. Tom, my buddy who lives in Tennessee, and I would like to go somewhere where we could get into both valley and mountain quail. <P>I have taken all six species of huntable quail here in the U.S. but Tom needs to bag the valley and mountain quail to add to his Gambel's, scaled, Mearns, and bobwhite. Tom has a plan to mount all six species on an old portion of a wagon wheel.<P>What part of the west would you recommend that we go to to get both a valley and mountain quail?

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I know for a fact he can shoot both in Kalifornia. I've done it for years. That said, I'd say Oregon would probably be better. I know Nevada has some Valley Quail shooting, but their Mtn. Quail shooting is pretty rare. Apparently Mtn.Quail don't compete well with Chukar. If he wants to try Kalifornia, have him contact the Ca. Dept. of Fish & Game, and talk to the Upland Bird Co-Ordinator. E.

N
N
California...hwy 395, between the border and mono lake areas. There are several areas that hold both Valleys and Mountians and some of them will have an added bonus of chuckar.<P>I've never hunted these areas, but I back pack them and see the birds in late July, early August. The Bodie area has the best opportunities as I've seen it.<P>I have a date with a covey of Mountain Quail on October 6 this year...man I can't wait.<P>Nate

I'm new at this stuff...so I may sound silly...but rest assured...I will not stop sounding silly no matter how long I do it!
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I've been chatting with a native westside Oregoner and he is harvesting loads of Mountain quail in his regeon of Eugene Or. <BR>I-5 s.r.58 hjiway areas hold large numbers of bird including California Quail. Contact the o.d.f.w.

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the replies. It won't be this season, probably next. Any guides that you would recommend?

IC B2

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
John, Out west we are mostly do-it-yourselfers. Hey this is the WEST land of many public places, that {all of us} tax payers are supporting! and I doubt your going to find very many guides that specialize in Mountain Quail. This is the most underhunted gamebird here in the N.W. area. I've had a resent offer from another board to actually come down to Oregan and hunt Mntn. Quail on U.S. Forest Service land in Western Oregon. I've had pics sent to me as well as an Or. st. users guide for other areas. The pics show the offering party a good limit of Mntn. Quail(10), a few Bandtailed Pigeons & some Blue Grouse thrown in for quite mixed bag! I'm from Wa. St. and have the same opportunity to Bag Calley & Mntn. Quail (our limit on mntn. is only 2 a day & valley 10 a day)But this offer is tooo good to pass up! It's rare to find a avid hunter that specifically targets this Mountain speciies of Quail. They are hard to find, hard to flush and they favor very,very thick Hymalayin Blackberrybushes and Stinging Nettle and impenitrable brush in hilly & steep that most dogs would avoid. Good luck with your adventures.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,078
Posts18,482,781
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.