-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No, never lost a follow up shot because I was carrying a bolt. I did hunt with a Rem 760 for a couple of years and killed a couple of deer with it. Got rid of it for two reasons, it was less than accurate, at least to my expectations, and it was the coldest gun I’ve ever carried. Steel on a 10 degree day (or 30 ) never warms up and goes through the warmest of gloves.

Funny thing about Pennsylvanians, I’m one and that was the only 760 I ever saw being used in PA so I’m not sure where you get the idea that we love them. Unless of course you’re talking about flat landers, I’m not one so I don’t know about them.

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, in Metesi, Zimbabwe. My ..416 Remington LH Model 70 never made it out of TSA at the San Diego Airport. It was waiting there when I returned 18 days later. I had to borrow a RH rifle, and I couldn’t work the bolt fast enough to get a second shot at a buffalo. I think some anti hunter at TSA purposely didn’t put it on the plane. I hand walked it through the X-ray check in process and had a “I’m in the airport with my cell phone number if you have any problems “ label riveted to my tuffpack. That tuffpack has made 7 uneventful trips. This one wasn’t.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I missed a Buck one time at probably less than 10 yard. He was running down the trail I was standing on with a pack of walker hounds not far behind him. I shot just as he was bouncing over a patch of palmetto and shot right over him. When the load of buckshot hit the bushes behind him, he slid to a stop and looked back. At 5 or 6 steps, I put the bead on his neck and turned another load loose and killed him.

I couldn't have done that if I wasn't shooting an automatic.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by 450BM
Funny thing about Pennsylvanians, I’m one and that was the only 760 I ever saw being used in PA so I’m not sure where you get the idea that we love them. Unless of course you’re talking about flat landers, I’m not one so I don’t know about them.

To 450BM,
I have a gun dealer within about 15 miles of my house who used to live in Pa. He'd owned/operated a gun store in Pa. too.
He told me that he sold 760s/7600s in untold numbers while there. I've also read of the popularity of these rifles in states
thatprohibit hunters from using semi-automatic rifles. Just curious, are Pa. waterfowlers and upland bird hunters allowed to
opt for a semi-automatic shotgun? I never thought of the "cold steel" aspect regarding rifles or shotguns having two-piece
stocks. I recently bought a lever-action rifle that uses a ONE-piece stock. It's a Sako Finnwolf VL63 in .308 caliber. I find un-
usual items to have a strong pull on me.

To All Of You Contributors,
Again I assert my gratitude for all the feed-back; it's very helpful and thought provoking! grin

Jack
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BigFive,

I have ingrained prejudices based on some hunters from my youth using them.
That's just personal BS.

I don't like their weight, the cold steel where they balance, the noise to load them,
the rattle in the forearm(mine isnt bad, but it does move). Some bitch about the trigger,
It ain't good, but it seems more an issue from the bench than the woods.

450BM, mentions accuracy.
I had no expectations of accuracy.
So, I had a box of 180 Sierra's that came with a box of "stuff".
Looked a the Lee dippers chart and manuals for a load that suited using H4831(have an 8#er)
and threw a few rounds together. 1" groups. That's good enough for a under 300 yard deer.
And the number I require.

The damn thing is consistent too.
Zero never seems to move.

Talking with the few serious rifle guys I know that use one, they all tell similar stories.

450 may have never seen one, I'd like to know where he hunts.
They aren't as popular with the under 50 or so hunters.
Guys today don't hunt. They sit. And everyone fancies themselves a sniper.
The older guys that hunted, as a verb, liked the fast handling and repeat shots.
Things are different when you drive or still hunt the thick stuff.

Ironic?

I prefer my Tikka or the 660 in 308?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
If you have ever hunted hogs in Texas long enough, sooner or later that will happen. One of the reasons I use "too much gun" and put a second bullet in them for insurance if they are down and paddling at the first opportunity

If not DRT, by time one recovers the sight picture on a scoped rifle, they are gone!

Let me illustrate.

I like to line em' up to get a double whenever I can. That was the plan on this occasion. Notice that after I shoot, when the sight picture is regained, there is no black pig. He's already made it into the scrub, and in less than 3 seconds the brown pig is also gone. As I still had a bit of daylight left i decided to see if i could recover one or both. One was just inside the scrum and the other about 20 yds further.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/26/22.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have chased domestic pigs, they are fast.
Hunted deer my whole life, thought they could disappear after a shot.

Go my eyes opened on my only hog hunt.
Those SOBs can jet out of sight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've gotten multiple good shots off on a sounder of pigs in a tight spot with a semiauto (cover nearby) and I'm sure I couldn't have done it as quickly with a bolt gun. It's not as big of an issue in open areas, but when brush is 10 feet away, it's hard enough to get multiple good hits when just pulling the trigger. A good AR15 or AR10 setup is great for that.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Posted this before...However, I don't think a lever or pump would have made a difference on the last kill in the woods...However, his optics were most likely what saved the day.

I love watching those guys run bolt guns

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 450BM
No, never lost a follow up shot because I was carrying a bolt. I did hunt with a Rem 760 for a couple of years and killed a couple of deer with it. Got rid of it for two reasons, it was less than accurate, at least to my expectations, and it was the coldest gun I’ve ever carried. Steel on a 10 degree day (or 30 ) never warms up and goes through the warmest of gloves.

No idea how you missed them? Back in the 80's it seemed guys either carried a Remington pump 30-06 or a 30-30 lever.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It's important to remember how we used to hunt deer in PA. Tradition and comradery were more important than big racks. Who shot a deer wasn't as important because It was a group effort. In our camp the standers were mostly the cardiac kids, the old guys with heart problems.
It was off to deer camp after Thanksgiving. Many camps conducted drives for deer with pretty big groups. Some camps did noisy drives, some quiet. The drives had names like Bald Top and Old Faithful. We needed a posted roster on the cabin door if more than 25 were in involved. The deer were usually moving fast, and shots were quick. Old cornshellers and lever guns were preferred both for followup, but more importantly for their quick handling. The woods were thick. Where I hunted laurel was head high and you couldn't see 25 feet in front of you. It was very different from the way it is now.
I used a bolt on occasion back then, and didn't get a number of follow up shots. The way we hunt now, followup shots are pretty infrequent.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'll do one better than a bolt action missed opportunity.

I was closing the back door of a little deer push.

The broke my way. Lead one was a REAL nice buck.

7600 35 Whelen in my paws. I was standing behind a tree...gun propped against the tree with my left hand.

He was trotting but closing in to about run me over. He could go left passed me or right down the fence line. Either way, he was within 25yds.

I worked on the swing and the trigger broke. He locked up and stood there. 15-20yds. I knew I missed. He locked up the brakes and I kept swinging and shot right in front of him.

Went to rack another round in now that he's standing there like a big dummy. Half wondering if I did clobber him and maybe that's why he's standing there looking dumb. I don't take the chance and send the next round either way.

My rifle was locked up TIGHT.

The 35 Whelen basically self ejects from 7600s. Atleast mine does lol.

I must have had the ejection port against the tree. Empty tried coming out and nature took over and I tried cycling the action during recoil. Empty was stuck. Next round was stuck. Magazine was stuck.

I got the brass out, mag out, 2nd round out. The click of the mag going back in was too much for him. He bolted. I never got another shot off.

Still half sick telling that story loll. He was a beauty. Tough lesson learned.

I've never had a bolt action hinder me. And I dabble in long range steel timed matches now so I'm very comfy running a bolt.

I've actually left the 7600 platform the last few years. I love them. But they are heavy...the Montecarlo versions kick the tar outta me and don't come to my eye as fast as straight stocks. I have 2 lightweight bolt rigs I carry now.

My style of hunting is usually tracking and still hunting and covering ground and needing a fast handling rifle. The first shot is more important than the rest IMO and my bolt guns are faster and more accurate for me for those quick snap shots. Exception would be my Whelen carbine with a ghost ring. I can shoot that like a shotgun. I have a straight stock on it. That's my nasty weather critter gitter

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Once.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No because I make sure the FIRST shot is good.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Do you generally hunt from a stand or still hunt? Reason I ask is that I’ve found a great difference between the two on the sort of shots you get.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Do you generally hunt from a stand or still hunt? Reason I ask is that I’ve found a great difference between the two on the sort of shots you get.

Don't confuse the issue.😉

Guys come on here and make big statements. Absolutes.
About caliber, bullet choice, other's shooting ability...

Took awhile, but I've come to the conclusion they only know what they personally do.
Hunting style, changes so much about the shot. Time to shoot, attitude of the animal,
open/bushy shot, choice of animal position, position(having a rest?) of shooter.
Need for the animal to drop.(small property/thieving hunyers)
Need for an obvious blood trail.

It goes on and on.

My earlier post displayed some rotten marksmanship on my part.
4 rounds, 1 fatal hit. 1 clean miss.
All at less than 50 yards, the first about 25.

Shooting from a stand at an approaching deer? Absolutely shameful.

I wasn't.

Was walking a log road, heading into an area I wanted to sneak through.
My radio buzzed, Dad was paging me.
I stopped, turned to look up toward the mountain as i reached to get the radio out
of my shirt pocket. That dam buck materialized out of a brushpile 25 yards away.
And took off! (He had laid there and watched me go by)

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 03/28/22.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I did miss a chance at a follow up shot, I don't remember it.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Not really, the vast majority of my bucks have been shot out of ambush.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The last three Pigs crossing the road should answer the question if some are follow up handicapped with a bolt action...Again, I would say our choice of sights may be more important and both eyes wide open....In addition, they spend little time admiring the results of the first.

Last edited by battue; 03/28/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have mentioned on numerous occasions that I operate within a narrow band of mediocrity. Having said that I can't help but think that if you shoot often enough and live long enough one is both going to miss, and miss a chance at a follow up shot. At 70, and as often as I go afield, I know I certainly have, more than once or twice!

My best set ever.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IIRC, called in 6 grays in 37 minutes, got 4. Missed two!

BTW, a shot not taken is as good as a miss!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/28/22.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 160user, 33 invisible), 1,796 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,362
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.