Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Waders

So you agree with me 100%--It's not ideal as a self defense gun, and you should carry the biggest gun you're willing to carry. As I said, if it's the biggest gun you're willing to carry--carry it. As for me, I always find a way to make a bigger gun work. That's not a criticism of NAA carriers. Each man has to decide for himself.

At the time that occurred, back in the early 1990s, I did sometimes carry that all by itself. These days, however, and for the last 20 years or so, it only gets carried as a second handgun, i.e., a back up to a primary carry. Often, for example, my belt gun will be under a heavy winter coat (Yeah, at night, it can get down to the 30s in northern Florida), so the NAA Mini Revolver will sometimes ride in an outside coat pocket.

Walking the beach or going to the pool in a bathing suit the little NAA is the ticket. When you go for a swim just put it in one of your Crocs and don't worry about it. It ain't much but it beats the he'll out of nothing.

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've got a NAA & a Freedom Arms & carried them for a while in the generally tame territory I live in. Things got a bit more serious & I went to a 380.

The comment about a good flipper knife is just as good got me until I remembered my bud killing a prairie rattler with my NAA 22LR. Better, in a situation like that over a knife.

So, the little 22 might give ya some distance, or an edge after all. The muzzle blast alone might cause your predator to back off.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve always worried about getting one into action if you really needed it. I’ve shot several and found them very awkward to cock with on hand. They’re so small I found them hard to hold securely while thumbing the hammer back. I can only imagine how easy that is going to be while trying to use your weak hand to keep an attacker at bay.

I chose to give up a couple shots for the much easier to get into action High Standard derringer. Still a puny rimfire but still smaller than a pack of smokes and probably close to the same weight as the NAA. But DAO and I find it easier to shoot with some semblance of accuracy than the minis.

On a side note. Has anyone owned on of the Freedom arms minis that the front sight didn’t fall off of? Literally every one I’ve had my hands on was missing the front sight.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
By the way, this isn't a modern idea.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Here's one by Harrington & Richardson.

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

The previous one might be an H&R, too.

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by gunzo

The comment about a good flipper knife is just as good got me until I remembered my bud killing a prairie rattler with my NAA 22LR. Better, in a situation like that over a knife.
I can understand that being a consideration in many parts of the country, but not here in Michigan. We have a few rattlers here but they're endangered and I've never seen one. I can think of only one person I know who has.

Last edited by UPhiker; 03/13/22.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Ive always been a little fascinated by these things. I've never shot one, but have looked over a few. If I saw one for sale at the right time it might very well come home with me. I suspect it would end up being one of those things I would take out and shoot a few times then it would be one more of those things my wife would have to deal with when I'm dead.

The closest I have to anything like these would be my grandmother's little H&R .32 S&W top break which I inherited or my Beretta 21A. I've considered pocket carrying the Beretta as a "better than nothing" option at times, but the Sig 365 is only slightly harder to carry concealed IWB, much faster to bring into play, and much more effective. I haven't run into any circumstances where a tiny pocket pistol .22 makes sense.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
rylee1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
That little H and R is cool what is the first one you posted? That is really cool

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rylee1
That little H and R is cool what is the first one you posted? That is really cool

I think they are both made by H&R. I just found those images off Google images.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I bought a Pug as a novelty, complete with a tritium Big Dot front sight. I don't carry it other than leaving it in an emergency pack loaded and with an extra 30 .22 WMR Gold Dots. It is fun to shoot. I jokingly refer to it as my hot tub gun because I once left 5 Gold Dots in a glass of water for a couple of nights, and they all fired. Anyone who buys one with the intention to shoot it a lot with magnums should consider one with the cylinder pin locking mechanism of the Pug type rather than the ball detent standard version because the flimsy dimple on the frame starts to open up with the standard version.

I see a lot of people who say that they would rather have a knife. I wouldn't. Here is a picture and some videos that I had posted here about 6 years ago. Apologies to the people who have seen them before.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Turn the volume down for this one (I need to try this again with more jugs):

Here is a contact shot. I also took the extra shots as an afterthought and really flubbed the manipulation; practice is advised if one is going to carry it a lot:

I bought a used 22wmr, years ago. As you said, the base pin would back out (due to the weak retaining mechanism) after 2-4 shots. Would completely lock up the cylinder, at that point.

No problem with the 22lr I have, but if I was getting another 22wmr, it would have to be that Pug, with the better cylinder base pin retaining system...

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've got the bugout, fun little gun. 22lr.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought the basic 22lr model a few months ago, albeit with the boot grip. Haven't shot it yet, but as others have said it appears well-made. I also just picked up a 21a.

Choose your ammo wisely:

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/pocket-pistol-caliber-gel-test-results/#22LR

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/02/17/defensive-22lr-ammo/

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/22-lr-for-self-defense-ammunition-test-comparison/

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by killerv
I've got the bugout, fun little gun. 22lr.

same here and love mine. it comes along anyplace without a badged guard at the entry. i’ve put 500+ rounds through mine. 3” groups at 3’ distance works for my needs. c v revision grips are essential.

Attached Images
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I shot a bunch of 22 mag rounds out of a short barreled 22 mag into a barrel of water. The only one I got to expand reliably was the Hornady CD. I'm sure I didn't try them all, but I did try CCI 40 gr and 30 gr, Winchester 40 and 34 gr, hornady 30 gr and probably a couple others.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I shot a bunch of 22 mag rounds out of a short barreled 22 mag into a barrel of water. The only one I got to expand reliably was the Hornady CD. I'm sure I didn't try them all, but I did try CCI 40 gr and 30 gr, Winchester 40 and 34 gr, hornady 30 gr and probably a couple others.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
R
rylee1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Finally found a new toy to bring home[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I had one in .22mag. It was a blast to shoot.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Love mine. Very accurate, came with LR cylinder and magnum cylinder. It is loud tho
I had that holster made so I could carry it sideways- crossdraw style

Last edited by Edwin264; 03/28/22.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've had a couple of the short barrel .22 lr guns.
Gave my last one to my son.

Oddly enough, both of them suffered a broken mainspring after 3-400 rounds.
They were repaired under warranty, but I can't remember if NAA sent me a paid shipping label.

They certainly make a good deep cover gun.

<><
HE>i
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had one in 22lr that folded into it’s handle. It’s bore was off center. It didn’t shoot anywhere the sights because of that. You could look at the muzzle and see it plainly. I carried it with the firing pin rested in one of notches in between rounds. One day, I somehow hit it with a hammer handle and in went off in my pocket. Powder burned my leg and shot a hole in my jeans. I’ve no idea how the hammer got moved over and atop a live round, but that ended my affair with the NAA revolver.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.