Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am thinking of building a 6.5-257 Roberts. The dies would have to found used or buy an expensive custom set. I called RCBS and they do not make custom dies anymore (may not have for a while but did not know it). I haven’t had a chance to contact Redding or others. In the meantime I was thinking since the parent case is 7x57 Mauser, could I use a bushing die set in 6mm Remington, 257 Roberts, or 7 Mauser and use the appropriate 6.5 sized bushings for resizing? As for seating, can the same thing be done with the seating die, swap the seating stem for 6.5 bullets?

Thanks for any information or any other work around suggestions.

Rick Grimes for Governor
"This isn't a democracy anymore"
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The 6.5x57 is a standard european caliber.
You could possibly neck size with 6.5x55 or 6.5 rem Mag, then body size with 7x57.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hornady makes dies for 6.5x57 which would be the same as a 6.5x257.

Could you just replace the sizing expander ball on a 7x57 / 6mm rem / or 257 roberts with a .264 expander ball ? Would this still accomplish your desired outcome? I realize this is similar to what you asked but without the bushings

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have not thought about changing the expander. That would probably work. I am used to using bushing dies for neck tension.

From what I have researched, and I may be wrong, but the 6.5-257R and 6.5x57 are slightly different, having different shoulder angles and positioning. I don’t think the x57 will chamber in Roberts chamber. The parent of the 6.5x57 is the 8x57 which is different from the 7x57.

I just pulled up a drawing of the 6mm Remington and the shoulder is different on it also. So it is out.

But your suggestions of using the 257R or 7 Mauser die with 6.5 expander would probably work just fine.

Rick Grimes for Governor
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
PM coming

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 4 degrees difference in shoulder angles between 6.5x57 Mauser and 257 Roberts is not enough to matter.

Over a half inch of shoulder that is only = 0.5" x (sin 20.75 degrees - sin 16.92 degrees) = .5 x[ .3543 - .2910] = 0.003".

If using 257 Roberts brass, the neck will need to be expanded from gripping .257" to .264" = .007" of expansion.

I sometimes use Lyman M dies.

I also make my own expenders from 7/8-14 threaded steel rod in the lathe.

I never use expander balls in the same step as sizing. The pull stroke bends the neck and increases group size measurably more than any other aspect of handloading.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well Sizing 6.5 x 57, I am probably the only guy responding so far that actually shoots a 6.5 x 57.

I shoot 6mm Rem also and 7 x 57.... So I have bought a bunch of 257 Roberts brass back when it was available.. Winchester brand...
still have a bunch new in the bag, but no its not for sale, so no one get any bright ideas..

Even tho I picked up a 6.5 x 57 die set from RCBS, and also one from Forrester

I usually just neck up the new 257 Roberts case using a Hornady 6.5 Universal neck sizing die ( that cost $20.00)...

I seat bullets with the Forrest Seater...

I take the decapping pin out of my Lee 7 x 57 die and use that for a body die when resizing...
and neck size with the 6.5 Neck sizing Hornady die...

I prefer that way, over using the RCBS 6.5 x 57 die, my chamber is a hair different, so normally won't chamber very easily...
so hence the Lee 7 x 57 for a body die...

Need to do one with another barrel tho.... when I built mine, I had the bright idea of dedicate it for antelope hunting, from a stationary position, shooting off the hood of my 4 Runner....its a 28 inch, heavy magnum contour, on a Model 70 Long Action.. and the barrel is chambered to seat bullets out to magazine length....normally shooting 140 grain Hornady SPs or 140 Rem Corelokts....

one of the most accurate guns I have.... will also shoot faster velocity than a 6.5 / 06.. or a 6.5 Remington Mag... its the Creedmoor concept, before the Creedmoor came out.
powder I use mostly, IMR 4064.....

played with 143 and 147 ELDs... they reach out there big time...

The 6.5 x 57 is my favorite chambering.... just a 6.5 x 55 with more readily available brass during times like this...

recently came across a Japanese Arisaka that was rechambered to 6.5 "Roberts"... it is the 6.5 x 57 case... handy 20 inch barrel, of the original Japanese WW 2 barrel..
Someone gave it to me, because they inherited it from Family and have no way to reload it....I haven't shot it yet tho...

just need to order a barrel for one of my Savages, 24 inch, Sporter contour....

its my favorite due to its rarity in North America.... and able to use Roberts brass....so I don't have bolt face issues like I do with the Swede...
on the Swede's I own, that are rebarrels.... they have an 06 bolt face.... and only Remington Swede brass is made with a .473 bolt face...

I did get some 25/06 nickel brass I picked up at the range that someone just left laying after shooting... brought that home and reformed and trimmed the brass to 6.5 x 57..
folks think that was kinda cool, like I had custom nickel brass.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by SWGAShooter
I am thinking of building a 6.5-257 Roberts. The dies would have to found used or buy an expensive custom set. I called RCBS and they do not make custom dies anymore (may not have for a while but did not know it). I haven’t had a chance to contact Redding or others. In the meantime I was thinking since the parent case is 7x57 Mauser, could I use a bushing die set in 6mm Remington, 257 Roberts, or 7 Mauser and use the appropriate 6.5 sized bushings for resizing? As for seating, can the same thing be done with the seating die, swap the seating stem for 6.5 bullets?

Thanks for any information or any other work around suggestions.

I just sold my 6.5-.257 Roberts last December, I never did buy a die set for it, too cheap. I successfully neck sized and seated with 6.5 Swede die. After several firings I needed to shoulder bump, so I annealed the hell out of the shoulder/neck of the brass, slam fed it into the chamber, presto shoulder clearance.

Last edited by flintlocke; 04/12/22.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Haven’t checked this post in a while. I did find a set of die’s for the 6.5x257 from CH4D. I have gotten some older 257 brass from my dad, and I also found some new PPU Mauser brass to neck down. I tested the 257 and 7mm brass and it is as easy as FL sizing any other brass.

I have been spoiled using bushing and comp dies. Based off the comments above I may keep an eye out on eBay for a 6.5x55 comp seater.

I have been busy, but sent the rifle off today for rebarreling.. Hopefully in a month or so I can let you know how it shoots.

Last edited by SWGAShooter; 04/14/22.

Rick Grimes for Governor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (16penny, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,945
Posts18,498,952
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.