Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
This is a box opening review only. No shots fired,yet

First and foremost, the only way I have this is that I work in a gun shop part time and get items for cost.
This rifle is $949 dealer cost and they are selling over $3k on gunbroker.
I paid in advance 4 months ago to get her. Serial # RM00028●●.
Box is plain brown cardboard with only Marlin markings.
Interior foam is identical to what Ruger uses on the AR556., dense grey cut out foam.
All paperwork is Marlin. No mention of Ruger.
Front to back.
The muzzle cap is a straddles thread protector. Smooth with 2 flats. The fact that it's a cap is almost imperceptible. Most folks wouldn't notice.
Front sight is green fiber optic. Barrel is brushed stainless. No hammer forging marks to reveal what's inside. The Bore looks identical to my steyr rifle. Glass shiny nothing AT ALL like old Marlin microgroove.
Ruger purchased CHF machines from Austria in 89 and aside from the Sako I can't recall a lever action ever being built with a CHF BBL.
The top mount is a long Pic rail with a cut out and high open peep rear sight. (Back to that in a minute).
Bolt is lightly fluted and a different finish or perhaps coating. It gives off a slight gold hue. Not quite what stainless looks like anywhere else on the rifle.
The trigger is super crisp, the lever loop is a bit large for my taste but works like it's hand polished.
The hammer had the same hue as the bolt and has slight cutouts on both sides for the included hammer extension.
The stocks and checkerboard are flawless and the bullseye is blood red. Recoil posed is sort, but, not to the point it would easily ldamage.
Scope mounting
The scope I chose was the Leopold 2-7X33. My initial attempt was with low Warne QD rings.
The peep had to be removed and then I realized the 33 was to big in lows due to the length of the rail.
A set of medium rings fixed that but still was too low to keep the peep in place.
Back up and regroup.
Grabbed a Midwest rail. Removed the long factory one. Upon removal I realized the barrel is dovetail cut under the rail for a standard rear.
So I don't know if this is an afterthought or if the original intent was to use a short rail from the factory and no peep.
It's curious and any information would be nice.
So short rail installed, back to low rings. Scope mounts perfect and I don't need the hammer extension.
A standard rear sight in place and I'll be right as rain.
My plans are to run 350s about 1700. Nothing crazy. Just something to poke holes in deer.
I'll buy a box of factory heady stuff in case I chance upon a bear or pig hunt.
Might even overnight some Buffalo Bore ammo if that Velociraptor shows back up.

In closing...Ruger has produced a very fine, high quality clone of a Marlin Scout Rifle.
With the long rail and high rear peep there's not a way to mount a conventional scope keeping the peep in place without high rings. So a scout scope or red dot of some sort would be needed.
Love the rifle but I think they should have short railed it and used a conventional rear and front. And a standard loop would have sufficed.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the detailed report which should be helpful to possible buyers.

Can you post some pix?

Last edited by crshelton; 02/13/22.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If I can find one at MSRP, I'll take it. But footing over MSRP X2 is out of the question. I've got an 1895SBL (JM) that does all that I need it to do until I find a Ruger/Marlin at a fair price.

Last edited by Charlie-NY; 03/17/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have had a lot of sore fingers shooting a standard loop

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I had a Remlin 1895 SBL. That was an absolute tack driver. So, I know the Ruger would even be better.

I am waiting on the 1894 SBL. If they correct the dog assed twist rate, I will for sure get one.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Great report, thanks for posting it up.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 45 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,834
Posts18,478,050
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.