-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep, just a matter of time, whiteys fault...

Woke columnists claim Will Smith Oscars slap exemplifies 'anti-Black' system
One of the hot takes to emerge from Sunday night’s Oscars slapping scandal is that the real culprit is a racist system.

During the 94th Academy Awards, Best Actor nominee Will Smith slapped comedian Chris Rock after the latter joked about Smith’s wife. The moment was widely condemned, leading Smith to publicly apologize to Rock on Monday for his outburst.

While many criticized Smith for the slap, some offered unique interpretations, such as blaming former President Donald Trump. However, a growing theory in some media circles suggested that the real issue could be a racist society.

On Monday, Forbes published an article by Janice Gassam Asare arguing the scandal surrounding the moment is primarily perpetuated by "the white gaze."

"There is a segment of the population that believes that although Smith was justified in his anger, he shouldn’t have behaved that way in front of ‘mixed company.’ Many of us are socialized to believe that there is no time and place for Black anger or emotion, especially not in front of non-Black people," Asare wrote. "By saying that Will Smith shouldn’t have reacted that way because of how he will be perceived by the largely white audience is the perpetuation of the white gaze."

Forbes doubled down on this perspective with another piece on Tuesday titled "While Talking About Will Smith’s Behavior, Don’t Forget To Also Talk About The System That Helped Create It." Contributor Maia Niguel Hoskin wrote that concern over Smith’s behavior is a "systemic issue" rooted in white supremacy.

"This is about a much larger systemic issue rooted in white supremacist culture designed to police the behavior of Blacks amongst the who’s who in Hollywood and beyond. Respectability politics suggest that equity and fair treatment require that Black people — both inside and outside of Hollywood — conduct ourselves in a manner deemed acceptable to whites," Hoskin wrote.

The Hollywood Reporter’s Eisa Nefertari Ulen made a similar claim on Tuesday suggesting "the well-documented norms, policies and images that have damaged Black people" in the Academy could have contributed to that night.

"Rather than punitively discipline Will Smith for his violence, the Academy and the Hollywood machine should take this opportunity to reflect and recognize their part in fomenting it," Ulen wrote.

A Guardian opinion piece took the claim one step further by suggesting that the media outrage itself was "rooted in anti-Blackness."

"I also find it hard to believe that the same white audiences who consume violence against Black people on screen to an almost fetishistic degree (and are quite happy to have the Academy reward these gratuitously violent projects year after year) are so distraught about an open-palm slap," Tayo Bero wrote. "Again, this kind of performative pearl-clutching is only ever reserved for Black men who mess up."

Some media pundits excused the slap based on Smith attempting to defend his wife.

"Given everything going on in the world, I just cannot bring myself to be outraged by this," New York Times contributing opinion writer Roxane Gay said Tuesday.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Well bless their hearts, it's clearly ol' whitey's fault

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Why does everything have to be white mans fault?
You did it. You own it regardless of color.
Frankly my dear I don’t give a damn.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Poor impulse control seems to be an issue with some people. It is NOT my fault. It is THEIR fault.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
It's ALWAYS the fault of the White Man.

Oh, am I supposed to have some pithy saying here? Sorry, not today.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The bulltschidt that people come up with never ceases to amaze me.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Damn white people have to ruin everything for the rest of us!

But for real, anyone that can blame a black on black assault, unprovoked by anyone white, on white racism, should give up on writing anything but novels. Clearly, their imagination is running circles around whatever part of their brain uses logic.

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (22250rem, 2500HD, 219DW, 1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,797
Posts18,496,252
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.