Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by moosemike
I just wish for once we could have this conversation without Karamojo Bell being brought into it. Keep dreaming right

I call it irrelephant hunting.

I like it

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I travel to hunt elk and my primary elk rifles are a pair of 270s, a CLR for overwatch and a 760 for black timber. I always keep shooting until the elk is down, as wounded elk seem bent on finding a place to die that makes recovering it as difficult as possible for the hunter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigFiveJack
I know that I've read many reports of guys using 25-06 rifles for decades hunting deer, and likewise the .257 Roberts.
A guy's gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere, if he's to put out a question as I did. My main focus of my question is
to learn if you all would choose NOT to take a given shot with a smaller caliber, that you would definitely take if you'd
had a larger caliber.
Years ago a guy told me his thoughts on going on TRAVELING hunts. Because he'd paid a lot of money to go over
a thousand miles away from home for a guided elk hunt, (we were on the east coast) he bought a .338 Win Mag
with the strategy that he could take successful shots with it because of it's penetration and energy delivery, shots that he
could NOT take with confidence using a caliber that delivered less energy, deep enough into the beast. He bluntly said
that he took his excellent elk with a shot from directly behind the elk at just about 200 yards.
He continued by saying that guys who live in elk country might choose a smaller caliber, and might refuse certain shots,
because they can get into the elk forest many more days per year than the guy who has booked a distant hunt of a week
or ten days. The traveling hunter wants to be able to take just about any shot angle, at just about what ever distance,
because he doesn't have a month or three to hunt his quarry.
All this brought me to the general question of intentionally using smaller calibers on deer and heavier game. I appreciate
the many honest and constructive answers that you all have posted up. Thanks as always!

I don't know anybody who lives in elk country that would pass up a shot on a big buck or bull that a travelling hunter would take. Point is, residents often use smaller rifles than travelling hunters, not because they're happy to pass shots because of the limitations of their rifle, but because they've seen enough critters killed to know that the smaller rifles work just as well.

It's all about the bullet and its placement into the critter. The caliber and chambering are secondary considerations somewhere down the list. There are very few shots I would take with a larger rifle that I wouldn't take with a smaller rifle, but there are plenty of shots that I would take with certain bullet designs but not others. For example, several times I've seen the 105 AM pushed hard from a .243AI come apart in the chest of large Alberta WT deer, leaving red soup inside, and many times I've also seen the 85X/TSX/80 TTSX penetrate stem-to-stern on similar Alberta WTs and do enough damage to kill about any game animal in NA. If I'm taking a shot up close and at a steep angle, I know which of the two bullets I want in the chamber. Similarly, if taking a close shot at a steep angle, I'd prefer a .243 and 80 TTSX to a larger rifle with light-for-caliber C&C bullets driven fast.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My daughter has killed four whitetail with her 223. All were 120 lbs or less and no shots were over 120 yards. We recovered all four deer, but one of them was a tough tracking job. It went about 80-100 yds through some thick brush with very little blood trail. The shot was a double lung with no exit. Two of shots were neck or spine shots with no tracking required. The fourth was a shoulder shot where the bullet (Barnes 55 grain TSX) fragmented and one shard happened to clip the spine and paralyzed the deer but did not kill it. I had to walk up and put the deer down with a head shot. Not a pleasant experience for my daughter who was 13 at the time. The ammo used was Hornady 55 grain soft point and Barnes 55 grain TSX. The reason we did not use heavier bullets was because our CZ 527 did not stabilize heavier bullets very well. Heavier bullets would presumably have worked better. I am not anti small bore for deer, but definitely prefer a nice easy to follow blood trail for deer than don't go down on the spot. The brush can be really thick down where we hunt and tracking can be a real chore.

Last edited by TnBigBore; 03/30/22.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by BigFiveJack
I know that I've read many reports of guys using 25-06 rifles for decades hunting deer, and likewise the .257 Roberts.
A guy's gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere, if he's to put out a question as I did. My main focus of my question is
to learn if you all would choose NOT to take a given shot with a smaller caliber, that you would definitely take if you'd
had a larger caliber.
Years ago a guy told me his thoughts on going on TRAVELING hunts. Because he'd paid a lot of money to go over
a thousand miles away from home for a guided elk hunt, (we were on the east coast) he bought a .338 Win Mag
with the strategy that he could take successful shots with it because of it's penetration and energy delivery, shots that he
could NOT take with confidence using a caliber that delivered less energy, deep enough into the beast. He bluntly said
that he took his excellent elk with a shot from directly behind the elk at just about 200 yards.
He continued by saying that guys who live in elk country might choose a smaller caliber, and might refuse certain shots,
because they can get into the elk forest many more days per year than the guy who has booked a distant hunt of a week
or ten days. The traveling hunter wants to be able to take just about any shot angle, at just about what ever distance,
because he doesn't have a month or three to hunt his quarry.
All this brought me to the general question of intentionally using smaller calibers on deer and heavier game. I appreciate
the many honest and constructive answers that you all have posted up. Thanks as always!

I don't know anybody who lives in elk country that would pass up a shot on a big buck or bull that a travelling hunter would take. Point is, residents often use smaller rifles than travelling hunters, not because they're happy to pass shots because of the limitations of their rifle, but because they've seen enough critters killed to know that the smaller rifles work just as well.

It's all about the bullet and its placement into the critter. The caliber and chambering are secondary considerations somewhere down the list. There are very few shots I would take with a larger rifle that I wouldn't take with a smaller rifle, but there are plenty of shots that I would take with certain bullet designs but not others. For example, several times I've seen the 105 AM pushed hard from a .243AI come apart in the chest of large Alberta WT deer, leaving red soup inside, and many times I've also seen the 85X/TSX/80 TTSX penetrate stem-to-stern on similar Alberta WTs and do enough damage to kill about any game animal in NA. If I'm taking a shot up close and at a steep angle, I know which of the two bullets I want in the chamber. Similarly, if taking a close shot at a steep angle, I'd prefer a .243 and 80 TTSX to a larger rifle with light-for-caliber C&C bullets driven fast.

I am in agreement with Jordan here. I will also add that I don’t care what rifle you are using, shooting an elk in the ass is not a high probability shot and will most likely lead to a lot of lost meat due to all the contamination due to blowing up the bowels and guts. Taking a shot like that deliberately on an elk to deer would get you kicked out of my camp.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I hunt red deer with a .44-40 sometimes, which people think is underpowered for deer that are nearly elk sized. But a .222 does more damage than a .44-40 does, and a deer hit with a .44-40 will go the same distance he will hit with a .270. Here's the lesson - deer, even big ones, are just not that hard to kill with a rifle.

WDM Bell is relevant - because he wrote that 50 grains in the right place is worth more than a thousand grains in the wrong place, and he spent the latter half his life in Scotland hunting red deer with the .22 Hi Power and the .22 Swift.

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 03/30/22.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elephant and FMJ's are not germane to the discussion

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I havn't mentioned them. Walter Bell wrote about hunting deer as well you know. It wasn't all elephants and sun helmets.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
I havn't mentioned them. Walter Bell wrote about hunting deer as well you know. It wasn't all elephants and sun helmets.

Right but go back and reread the OP

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A smart fella once said

"Bullets matter more than headstamps"

And

"Average Joe Hunter is over cartridged, over scoped and under bulleted".

Can't say I disagree.

Me

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike
Elephant and FMJ's are not germane to the discussion

What do the Germans have to do with any of it?

Me

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Lol thanks. Saved me the time.

The GOTdamn Germans got NOTHING to do with it!

Last edited by mjbgalt; 03/30/22.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Dude270
There's not a shot I'd take with a 257 Robert's that I wouldn't take with about any 6mm or 22 caliber rifle firing a similarly constructed bullet.

The difference in their killing abilities are minimal to non existent.

I'd go even farther to say that I'd greatly prefer a large 22 cal round or a 243 sized 6mm shooting heavy for caliber, high BC bullets to about anything you can shoot out of a 257 Robert's for deer.

Exactly

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In answer to the OP's question, I was hunting a blacktail buck with a .243 bore and he saw me first and was disappearing into the thick scrub. The only available shot was right up the rear end. I didn't take the shot. At the time I wished I had a 338 Win Mag (or bigger) with me with 225-250 grain TSXs. Then I would have taken the shot.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I always thought you needed a 7 mag for deer, but a 243 will kill them fine at reasonable ranges. Grandkids learned me that, dropped them dead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Parker Ackley proclaimed the 220 Swift , with proper bullets.
To be the best one shot deer killer of all time.

Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I have seen Whitetail and Mule Deer, and Elk, Exotics, shot damn near every where they can be hit, from their feet to the tip of their ears, and all parts in between, there's no , bullet, no brass, no primer or powder,no head stamp, that will fix a poorly placed shot. Rio7

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If they're running in thick cover, you can't always get that perfect shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
In answer to the OP's question, I was hunting a blacktail buck with a .243 bore and he saw me first and was disappearing into the thick scrub. The only available shot was right up the rear end. I didn't take the shot. At the time I wished I had a 338 Win Mag (or bigger) with me with 225-250 grain TSXs. Then I would have taken the shot.

Ethics of the shot aside, I would have zero hesitation with a .243 and 85 TSX or 80 TTSX, in terms of capability.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Riflehunter

Oh brother....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1minute, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,455 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,682
Posts18,493,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.