Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Beaver10

I don’t remember what the “horizontal string” tea leaves indicate when doing load development...I think it means a seating depth issues.

Horizontal stringing...something tells me you have a bedding issue.

Properly bed them fatties and gold will appear.

Agreed. Or a barrel that is barely free-floated.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by beretzs
Damn, it’s almost hard to believe the rifle could shoot that [bleep] Beav. I’ll be watching this one. Hard to sort out what it could be between the Leupold and a new rifle but man, you’d think the barrel has interrupted rifling to shoot that bad whistle

Maybe try a tighter choke?

Scotty, right now it’s acting like a good Turkey Gun.

Lol

🦫

Maybe the shotgun assemblers subbed for the rifle assemblers that day?

He went over yonder way
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’m back from the range using a SWFA 5-20x50 HD scope, that is 100% solid from past rifles it’s been mounted on.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Clearly the problem lies with the rifle, not the scope(s).

After getting on paper @ 25 yards, I made a couple elev/wind adjustments at 100 yards. I sent my first round just above the “X”. Then the next 3 shots kinda clustered to the right.

I would have been ok with that 3 shot grouping, as a starting point. I walked to the target and put a black sticker on my first shot above the “X”.
(The 4 other stickers are from yesterday)

Then I fired 3 more shots that spread left across the target. Noting that I didn’t make any adjustments on the turrets after the first shot hit above the “X”. The rifle is showing inconsistencies that indicate, what, bedding issues, bad barrel? Idk.

Back in the gun room. I pulled the SWFA, tore the barrel/action from the stock and checked the lug for any movement. There wasn’t anything to show me an easily seen stock problem. Put the rifle back together and it feels solid - no movement forward/back or side to side. The only thing I see is the stock channel on the left side, is just barely touching the barrel. There is slight barrel movement within the stock channel, if I apply some light pressure to either side of the barrel. I have other rifles that have a similar movement, but shoot like a demon.

I’m stumped! I called Franchi, explaining what I’m seeing. They are emailing me an RMA.

Here’s my final solution. If I get the rifle back and there isn’t a significant improvement. I’m going to send it to Shaen- Shooter71 and have him rebarrel the rifle.

There is no way I’d sell this rifle to someone, only to have to them deal with this accuracy problem.

So much for a bargain, box gun. FML 🤦‍♀️

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heeler
Damn, it’s almost hard to believe the rifle could shoot that [bleep] Beav. I’ll be watching this one. Hard to sort out what it could be between the Leupold and a new rifle but man, you’d think the barrel has interrupted rifling to shoot that bad whistle

Maybe try a tighter choke?

Scotty, right now it’s acting like a good Turkey Gun.

Lol

🦫

Maybe the shotgun assemblers subbed for the rifle assemblers that day?

No kidding...lol

🦫

“Molon Labe”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'd yank that scope base and inspect those screws. Might be digging into the barrel threads.
Then reinstall with measured torque.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WTM45
I'd yank that scope base and inspect those screws. Might be digging into the barrel threads.
Then reinstall with measured torque.

Ok...I’ll check that out.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Hey Paul, did you forget and log in as Beaver10?
Nobody but nobody can get a bad rifle like that except Mr Barnard.
😂

Lololol

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beav, I know the gun is still patterning like a good buckshot load, but did the groups sorta tighten up with the new scope? I’m not sure, just seemed like it was really bad with the other scope and just bad with this one. Could be a complete coincidence and I’m seeing things.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'd make sure we're not twisting or torquing the forend to put pressure / contact on one side of the barrel in the front rest. I've seen this happen before. With similar results

Last edited by ldholton; 03/30/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
If it's the Leup0ld, maybe J0hn Bürns can help expedite.

I've found it best to get started early with them. You want to make sure there's enough time to send the optic back and forth three times before the start of hunting season.

😀

That does not stop the algorithm.

I still get the notifications.

It gets exhausting at times.

But I have stopped the LDS in the Optics forum and Lil Fish was on his best behaviour during his last release.

Solving World Peace seems doable.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
I'd make sure we're not twisting or torquing the forend to put pressure / contact on one side of the barrel in the front rest. I've seen this happen before. With similar results

That could be a possibility ☝🏽

Franchi sent me an RA. It’s up to them now to source the problem, whether it’s the stock hitting the barrel or a bad tube.

We’ll see what happens in the future.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Beav, I know the gun is still patterning like a good buckshot load, but did the groups sorta tighten up with the new scope? I’m not sure, just seemed like it was really bad with the other scope and just bad with this one. Could be a complete coincidence and I’m seeing things.

Scotty, it was a little better with the SWFA, I think. But, I didn’t shoot anywhere near the 35 rounds I fired the first time out.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow! Boy am I glad I dug deep last week and bought the T3x Wideland Bronze Cerakote 6.5 PRC instead of the Momentum Elite I handled just minutes before. I loved the camo on the Elite, and it handled well, but I wondered if those integrated sling mount points might egg out or get brittle and break over time. The deal breaker though was the bolt not locking. Hope you eventually get it shooting acceptable! Thanks for the review.

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
Wow! Boy am I glad I dug deep last week and bought the T3x Wideland Bronze Cerakote 6.5 PRC instead of the Momentum Elite I handled just minutes before. I loved the camo on the Elite, and it handled well, but I wondered if those integrated sling mount points might egg out or get brittle and break over time. The deal breaker though was the bolt not locking. Hope you eventually get it shooting acceptable! Thanks for the review.

Doc_Holidude

Good decision on your part.

If the LGS would’ve had a T3x Lite on hand. Like you, I would have bought it over the Franchi without hesitation. The Momentum Elite was strictly a impulse buy, and one I’m having to deal with the consequences of.

Lol

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well Bohn Jurns was no help.

I'd take that fugker back. Hopefully the LGS has some pull with the distro. You could spend a small fortune on ammo and sanity trying to make that right and then how right will it be.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well Bohn Jurns was no help.

I'd take that fugker back. Hopefully the LGS has some pull with the distro. You could spend a small fortune on ammo and sanity trying to make that right and then how right will it be.

Idholton and Shooter71 might be onto something. They both think it could be a pressure problem, in the stock, that is moving the barrel when I apply front loading pressure on the stock before each shot.

I did take that into consideration, by trying to use the same set up and hold of the rifle in the shooting rest. If it’s a stock bedding issue, great! Franchi can flip me another stock and be done with it.

This rifle for me, has now crossed over into the realm of shovel and posthole digger tool.

Lol

🦫

PS

JB, was only hoping I’d be trying to crucify his beloved Leupold before weighing in on my lack of shooting skills.

“Molon Labe”
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Beaver; thanks for the update. Please let us know how this sorts out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Last night I edited out a reference to it as a tomato stake. I worried it was too soon and didn't want to be insensitive.

LOL

PS. If the flimsy ass tupperware stock is impacting barrel harmonics as pressure is applied to the forend, I don't see how another flimsy ass tupperware stock will fix that. Maybe they'll send you a McMillian.

If you haven't move on, I could not see from your pictures how the metal birds mouth at the front action screw interfaced with the underside of the receiver or the recoil lug to stock interface.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I don’t remember what the “horizontal string” tea leaves indicate when doing load development...I think it means a seating depth issues.

Horizontal stringing...something tells me you have a bedding issue.

Properly bed them fatties and gold will appear.

Agreed. Or a barrel that is barely free-floated.

Which to my mind at least, is a bedding issue. Fo` shizzle.
Those flimsy stalks on rifles such as these, plus the Ruger American, etc. are absolutely worthless.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Last night I edited out a reference to it as a tomato stake. I worried it was too soon and didn't want to be insensitive.

LOL

PS. If the flimsy ass tupperware stock is impacting barrel harmonics as pressure is applied to the forend, I don't see how another flimsy ass tupperware stock will fix that. Maybe they'll send you a McMillian.

If you haven't move on, I could not see from your pictures how the metal birds mouth at the front action screw interfaced with the underside of the receiver or the recoil lug to stock interface.

god, I love you...You obviously know me, so well. “Moved on” you say....Absofuckinlutely! I got a PM into Shaen with a new build specs for a beater gun. My small beaver paws are crossed, hoping Shaen will take me up on the build.

Fûck’n cheapo box guns suck....At least for me. Waaaah! 🤬😩

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (8MMX57JS, Akhutr, ak_Rick, 9 invisible), 921 guests, and 799 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,101
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.