Hop To
#16926952 02/05/22
B
Benbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Looking at getting a tripod rest to use while I’m calling coyotes. Any recommendations?

Thx.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bog Pod

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Bog Pod Death Grip. I love mine!

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Can someone tell me what I’m missing? Called coyotes to me, means under 200 yards, usually under 100 and for that my Stoney Point mono pod does just fine but I like to travel light. If I get one that hangs up way out there, I go prone. Serious question, why the need for a tripod?

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by TWR
Can someone tell me what I’m missing? Called coyotes to me, means under 200 yards, usually under 100 and for that my Stoney Point mono pod does just fine but I like to travel light. If I get one that hangs up way out there, I go prone. Serious question, why the need for a tripod?

Well for starters, not everybody is in the type of physical condition required for getting down on the ground in a prone position. Those who have had knee joint replacements for example have a handicap in that regard as well as the elderly, overweight, etc, etc.
Next would be the type terrain involved at the shooting location, as well as weeds and low brush that would hamper the sight picture.
Also the very good hunters all seem to use them, and no doubt for good reason.
But its still a free country, at least as for those type decisions.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I may have to try a tripod one of these days soon. I use a Harris bipod most of the time so I can sit to shoot above the grasses and blowdowns but I find I'm not as steady as I used to be sitting with a bipod. Seems that with a tripod you could cover a lot more ground from a single location and pick up and move quickly if necessary...

I would prefer to and do shoot prone when it is possible, but those opportunities are few and far between these days it seems...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I watched some videos comparing different models and I can see some instances where they would be useful. Standing instead of sitting a stand would be one.

I’m not sure that for calling, I’d want my gun clamped into cradle or directly attached to my gun. I get that it should be the steadiest but what if a coyote winds up just to your left? I can see the tripod getting hung up in grass or brush.

Thoughts?

I’m not trying to argue against them just looking at the whole aspect of them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've had great success with this set-up for our thermal rigs

Wrecking Ball Package

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Benbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I want a tripod to gain elevation. See over the rise/brush/weeds. Even flat country has low spots. I also admit it…. I get excited when I see game I’m about to shoot! Hard for me to kill a yotie much past 100 yards consistently standing on my tippy toes without a rest. Nice pic GTC! That’s exactly why i just ordered the death grip. Hoping my newthermal will arrive soon.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
RRS with Anvil-30 but its a little on the pricey side

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TWR: Your "to me" contention is not necessarily correct!
I have had several Coyotes hang-up out at 400 plus yards and they sit or stand there "not comin' no closer"!
And these are often the older (smarter?), larger Coyotes and they be starin right at me!
If I were to squiggle around from sitting (where I have been calling from!) to the prone position and they were to see this movement - guess what - off they would go.
I use a bi-pod now and have for decades - and have it set up to shoot steadily from the sitting/calling position.
I plan on getting one of the new'ish "tri-pods" this year and using it for my calling.
I was impressed greatly with my friends Primos tri-pods he brought along last year - he has two of them (different models) and I tried to buy one - he wouldn't sell me one (he had gotten them at wholesale pricing).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
VG, I looked at the Bog Pod and was real close to buying one but I remembered why I use a mono pod rather than my shooting sticks. I call coyotes "to me" and I've had the sticks hang up in grass/brush and even mud when a coyote comes from a direction I'm not counting on. I get set up looking one way and have a coyote come from another direction, even had one walk 10 yards to my left from behind me a month ago, it's hard enough to finagle the sticks around to get set up. I used to just drop the sticks but there's no doing that with your gun hooked to the tripod. If I hunted different terrain, they might be worth carrying but I'll stick to my mono pod and go prone when I have to.

Yes I have had some coyotes hang up on me way out there. I've gone prone and made the shot without letting them know what i was and I've came back the next day from a different direction and made the kill. And there's a few that just laughed at my efforts and died of old age I'm sure. We just all have to use what works best in our own situations.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use my bog pod tripod when I'm stalking at night as the terrain is not always sitting and use of shooting sticks friendly.
Usually I do sit and shoot off sticks I made, but the tall tripod sure makes a difference in many instances.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 68 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,063
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.