Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Booze is a vice...

There are thousands of vices...

Every man I know has a vice of some sort... EVERY MAN!

To call a vice a disease... is tantamount to calling yourself a victim of something.

I abhor a victim... it is NOT NATURAL... DOES NOT EXIST IN NATURE.

If a wolf looses a leg in a trap (or somehow)... it carries on as a wolf... or it dies. It NEVER becomes a victim... he NEVER expects his wolf buddies to tote him fresh meat forever.

watch it cash you will be called an idiot for that kind of thinking......but you are spot on....bob

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
My college room mate once told me about his first drink. He described it as if the sun came out for the first time. Total euphoria, complete happiness. Needless to say, he had[ a dickens of a time to stay off the hooch.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Me, my brother and cousin all drank heavily through our teens. The next morning they would check the fridge to see if there was any beer left. In my case alcohol was the last thing I wanted to drink when I was hungover.

This wasn’t willpower on my part, more like genetics. They both became full blown alcoholics, hit rock bottom and are now regular AA attendees. I never was an alcoholic.

So clearly some are more at risk than others.

I remember my first buzz, was kinda a light headed, "no worries" episode. No big deal, really, just made it a little easier (though not more successful!) to talk to girls.

My college room mate once told me about his first drink. He described it as if the sun came out for the first time. Total euphoria, complete happiness. Needless to say, he had a dickens of a time to stay off the hooch. Still is sober, to this day, but it's been a constant battle.

I like having a snort, maybe once or twice a week, if I feel like it.

Seems to me, different people react differently to alcohol. I've not walked a mile in their shoes, and thank God for that.

Couldn't guess when I had my first drink. My mom's family was full of drunks, after Dad
died I spent a lot of time with them. They left me drink before I was in school. Pap
would buy blackberry wine and whiskey, and mix me drinks. Probably made the kid
quiet down and sleep.

Maybe I got lucky, been really drunk once. Later realized it was enough to kill me.
Didn't enjoy that much. Chugging cheap bourbon, alone, ain't good.
Don't like a buzz either. 2 beers is the soft limit, 3 is it.
If I can tell I have alcohol, it's over.
One has so little control over his life, I will not willing give up any willingly.
Damn sure not inhibiting my decision making and leaving myself vulnerable.

Personally, it's just a choice.
"Pepsi, tea?...no a beer."
That simple.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Booze is a vice...

There are thousands of vices...

Every man I know has a vice of some sort... EVERY MAN!

To call a vice a disease... is tantamount to calling yourself a victim of something.

I abhor a victim... it is NOT NATURAL... DOES NOT EXIST IN NATURE.

If a wolf looses a leg in a trap (or somehow)... it carries on as a wolf... or it dies. It NEVER becomes a victim... he NEVER expects his wolf buddies to tote him fresh meat forever.

watch it cash you will be called an idiot for that kind of thinking......but you are spot on....bob

I reckon Bob...

So be it...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sheesh.

Hahahaha!

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Woodmaster: Well you did good and thank goodness YOU were not T-Boned!
I spent 29 years arresting drunk drivers of cars, motorcycles, trucks, airplanes, bicycles, boats and even transported a drunk train driver for the arresting officer!
That woman will be doing a good "stretch" after this is adjudicated.
Over those 29 years I was in law enforcement I was constantly amazed at how often drunk drivers involved in accidents were either not hurt at all or slightly injured and how often their victims were seriously injured or kill't!
I still wonder about that to this day?
Again glad you weren't hurt and you did your good deed for the month.
An 8:00 A.M. drunk woman driver - now that is some serious schit!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Good job Woodmaster:
I did 32 years as a cop. I arrested 25 drunks a year when I worked nights. (12 1/2 years) I know some people hated me for it. My first 3 drunks were repeat offenders and all 3 did time for it. The last drunk I arrested was on his 4th offense. The first 2 were deferred and dropped because he was a juvenile. On his last one, I caught him driving on a brake rotor after he had a flat tire and didn't change it. The rim was aluminum and didn't last long. He left chunks of tire and aluminum rim for 5 miles. The good thing is, it was after 3 a.m. on a Sunday morning and there were virtually no cars on the road. I think we all had drunk driver stories to tell.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
And some people insist on calling it a disease.

Alcoholism is a disease, this isn't controversial, it's fact. Driving while intoxicated is not a disease, nor a symptom of disease, it is a crime.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 03/31/22.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard

Alcoholism is a disease, this isn't controversial, it's fact. Driving while intoxicated is not a disease, nor a symptom of disease, it is a crime.

Good way to put it.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Good way to put it.

See? Not complicated.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ex coworker of mine's father has 3 DWIs. His license was suspended years ago, yet he still drives last I heard.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Good way to put it.

See? Not complicated.

its running pretty even on who calls it a disease vs those who dont.....no one disputes that its a hard way of life....bob

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Show me any disease you can start by yourself or stop by yourself.

Try that with TB, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, shingles, psoriasis…

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Actually a lot of people earn diseases like heart disease and diabetes through poor lifestyles

Last edited by ldholton; 03/31/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Valsdad

It is, and there is a solution.

But, just like diabetics not eating properly and not taking their prescribed medicine, or someone diagnosed with a tumor that won't have an operation, an alcoholic that won't accept and use the solution (not drinking whatsoever) will not have a good outcome to their disease.

My father was diagnosed with kidney disease, wouldn't follow the prescribed treatment, had his toes turn black from lack of circulation and wouldn't let them be removed, and died of his disease.

I'd guess the woman in question was offered a variety of solutions if she was jailed for her behavior, and the evidence of a new event would lead me to believe she was not following along with the solution to her problem.

Driving was a choice even if you allow the alcohol is a disease. BTW, it is NOT.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ldholton

Actually a lot of people earn diseases like heart disease and diabetes through poor lifestyles

Pathetic try, but still a swing and a miss.

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with Buck: Alcoholism is a disease, this isn't controversial, it's fact. Driving while intoxicated is not a disease, nor a symptom of disease, it is a crime.

I believe the penalties for OWI or DUI should be more severe than they are. Like 1 year jail for 1st offense. No wiggle room for a judge or da to negotiate period.

Problem is, drunk driving has been turned into an industry for lawyers and the alcohol assessment houses.

Then there is the alcohol lobby who greases legislators to keep OWI and DUI penalties low so as not to disrupt booze sales. This is taverns and retailers.

Lock up daily drinking or binge drinking alcoholics for a year. This will give same time to learn to live life without booze, and drugs to for those addicted.

There is AA, NA, CA, and the like support within the jail system.

GOA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Pathetic? You can disagree but you better show some respect. Sound exactly like a liberal piece of s***
When you're young hanging around drinking a little too much can turn into alcoholism is exactly right.
When you're young eating too many fried foods and poor diets being lazy you kind of get away with it as you age guess what you on yourself right into diabetes heart disease obesity you earned them both pretty much the same thing you made bad choices.
In both examples of instances not everybody gets affected the same some do some don't.

Last edited by ldholton; 03/31/22.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Pathetic? You can disagree but you better show some respect. Sound exactly like a liberal piece of s***
When you're young hanging around drinking a little too much can turn into alcoholism is exactly right.
When you're young eating too many fried foods and poor diets being lazy you kind of get away with it as you age guess what you on yourself right into diabetes heart disease obesity you earned them both pretty much the same thing you made bad choices.
In both examples of instances not everybody gets affected the same some do some don't.

Strike two, name calling is as much a disease as you are trying to attach to alcoholism.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I wonder how cell phone usage stacks up againat drunks as far as injury and death goes these days.

Had inattentive drivers smoke a few others locally.
Drunks whammed a few as well

Havent kept track of which is worse.

Old farts going wrong way has taken out a few too

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Several years back cell use while driving exceeded alcohol as cause of accidents. Dunno what it is now.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 30 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,745
Posts18,495,180
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.