Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mule Deer, the argument though isn't whether the .22 centrefires kill dear, it's whether they kill exactly the same as perhaps a .270 which has a 52% larger unexpanded hole size. Now its accepted that much of the time there won't be any identifiable difference in the results, especially on smaller game at close distances, but to say that all the time the results would be the same is where there is the differing point of view. Even in terms of weight alone, a 150 grain .270 bullet has double the weight of a 75 grain .224 bullet. Happy to hear your thoughts.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As MD said...........it's all about putting the right bullet in the right place. Far too many times a young or inexperienced hunter cannot put that bullet in the right place, which results in a wounded or lost animal, which in turn results in a certain cartridge being labeled as "not enough."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't care what caliber anybody else uses on game. I just don’t

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I read through this again. A 223 will kill pigs really well. I have no doubt it will take deer with a good bullet. I think a .25 is the perfect diameter for deer. I have 25-06’s, a 257 WBY and a new Bob to try on deer and pigs this fall.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by XBOLT51

i won't pull the trigger unless i have a perfect broad side shot .

I'm picky, but I'm not that picky.

Quartering angles don't bother me at all.
Me neither. The third biggest buck I've killed was taken quartering away with a .222 Remington shooting the old Nosler solid base bullet. Bullet hit at rear of rib cage on the left side and recovered from left shoulder. He dropped instantly.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
[quote=Riflehunter]If they're running in thick cover, you can't always get that perfect shot.

if they're running in thick cover you have no business taking a shot
i don't care what caliber your using or how good your shooting skills are or you claim they are

You must never have hunted whitetails in northern New England, where the majority of shots presented are on moving deer under 100 yards in thick cover, probably the reason that pumps and semi-autos are popular among still-hunters and snow tracker.

I don't let my friends from NH carry their rifles on the first day of hunting season when they come to Nebraska, 'cause almost all of them want to shoot the first legal deer that they see. They aren't used to seeing a couple dozen deer nearly every day that they go afield, so they have to learn to be a little selective. I remember the day that I took a high school buddy out to an alfalfa field at dusk during the late antlerless season and there were at least 100 deer in the 80 acre field. My friend said that he'd never seen that many deer in all the time that he'd hunted in NH and VT, much less that many deer at one time and in one field.

Different situations dictate the use of different methods.

i grew up hunting/fishing northeastern new york state adirondacks/along with its lakes ponds rivers and streams and vermonts green mountains and all over maine {,which we still hunt ny & maine every year ] so I'm extremely familiar with hunting/ fishing the east coast and what where when and how its done there .
ill stick with my bolt action browning x bolts from heavy timber in maine to wide open prairie here in montana my 280 ai & 6.5cm have killed animals just as fast and effectively at 10 feet in heavyy cover in maine as they have at 500 yards[which is my maximum distance i will shoot ] here in montana
seen to many biggame animals lost or need multiple follow up shots due to trying to shoot it on the run in heavy cover or shooting at ranges they miscalculated distance /angles on {thankfully I've never in 40 + yrs of hunting needed a second shot or lost an animal NEVER] ,
and i atribute that to the fact i won't shoot at a running animal no matter how big it's rack is [ i dont get all crazyy and weak kneed over the size of an animals head gear ]
i won't pull the trigger unless i have a perfect broad side shot .
if i don't feel comfortable shooting i don't pull the trigger i either pass or i wait it out to see if it will give me a broadside shot
i won't hunt with anyone or allow anyone on our ranch who insist on trying to hit big game on the run or claims they can accurately kill big game @ 700+ yards
like you said different strokes for different folks

A man needs to know his limits and work within them.

Some people are competent running game shooters, while most are not. The best running game shooter who I've met was an old coyote hunter who lived near Chester, NE. Old Tom was also the best goose/duck hunter who I've met, he could shoot incoming geese/ducks like a radar guided Phalanx CIWS shoots down incoming enemy threats. He attributed his running/flying game shooting skills to the tens of thousands of Blue Rocks that he shot during his lifetime. His deer hunting rifle of choice was an old Remington 700 ADL in 7MM RM with an equally old Weaver K4 and his mantra was that if you don't maintain your swing then you won't hit a thing do wop do wop.

Some people are competent long-range shooters, while most are not. My mechanic is a good long-range shooter and is fully capable of killing animals at 700 + yards under the right conditions. He has top shelf gear and he regularly practices on the local 600 yard range. The last rifle that he showed me was a custom Remington 700 in 300 WM with a SWFA 10x40.

I know my limits and mostly work within them. I have tagged moving game and I have tagged game out to around 500 +/- yards. While I prefer to pick my shots, I do like big racks and that has prompted me to exceeded my comfort zone a time or 2. The buck with the 2nd biggest rack that I've tagged was in tight creek bottom cover with his nose on the tail of a hot doe. He was so focused on that doe that he trotted past me at a range under 100 yards and when he presented a moving shot through an opening in that cover I took the shot. He never knew I was there, or if he did he didn't care enough to leave that doe, so I shot him. The rifle was a then new Remington 7 in 260 with a 120 grain BT in 11/97. The empty case is currently sitting on one of his brow tines.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you didn't reply to my posts in such a dogmatic manner, and were a little more courteous, then I wouldn't reply to you in a manner you dislike.

You’re making a pretty bad case for yourself. Throwing around false absolutes like they’re common knowledge and making excuses for your poor judgment. Then making crude attempts at insulting remarks. And so far facts have done nothing to dissuade your inaccurate comments. There are quite a few people here that know a hell of a lot more about shooting than I do, let alone you. You would be well served to let your brain act as a sponge rather than a rock. Done with rebuttals. No need to hijack a thread with petty arguments.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've read this entire thread, and one thing many hunters apparently don't realize (and perhaps wouldn't accept if they did) is that a 6mm bullet's diameter is just about the same as a .224 bullet's diameter when wrapped in an average (not deluxe) business card. In other words, there's no magical difference in diameter--or the hole made in animals, which is what kills 'em, not some magic amount of bullet diameter, weight or foot-pounds.

The difference, if any, between ".22" caliber bullets and 6mm bullets is basically in construction these days, since many modern .224 bullets overlap the weight of 6mm bullets. The big deal USED to be the difference in weight between typical .224s and 6mms, since there were very few .224s weighing as more than 55 grains, due to typical rifling twists of 1-12 or even slower. 6mm twists were generally at the very slowest 1-12 (as in the original .244 Remington) but more often 1-10 or 1-9. This made a difference in the weight of bullets that could be used, and that generally meant meant 6mm bullets were also started slower.

This was the typical solution to bullet penetration 100 years ago, when cup-and-core expanding bullets were the only ones available. But that started to change considerably in the 1930s when RWS developed their H-Mantle bullets, and changed even more in the late 1940s when the Nosler Partition appeared. But apparently some hunters are still operating under the "rules" of a century ago--which were extended in many U.S, game departments in the years after WWII due to old farts running the game departments, many of whom hated the very idea of using a ".22" on deer, or any other sort of big game, even javelina or pronghorns.

This has changed in recent years. I did some research a few years ago on U.S. "caliber regulations," and over 2/3 of the states now allow .22 centerfires on big game. Some states never had any restrictions, including my native of state of Montana--where even when I started hunting many years ago you could legally use a .22 rimfire. Apparently the Montana game department believed hunters were capable of choosing something that would work, while other states tended to micro-manage--including not only limitations on caliber, but bullet weight and even cartridge length.

Personally, I've not only killed quite a few big game animals with .224 bullets, but seen a lot more used successfully. Also know several guys who've killed elk neatly with .223s and .22-250s and didn't even use "premium" bullets! One was a U.S. Army sniper who did more than one tour in Afghanistan, who's been hunting and guiding since he was a teenager. He killed a mature cow elk with a 77-grain Hornady ELD-M (one of those horrible "target" bullets) at 450 yards, using a fast-twist .223. He put the bullet in the ribs behind the shoulder, and the elk went less than 50 yards before going down. He found the expanded bullet poking partly through the skin on the far side of the chest.

Could provide far more examples, but anybody who categorically denies that smaller-than-6mm cartridges aren't enough for big game doesn't know what they're talking about. It does NOT depend on a tiny amount of extra bullet diameter, but a bullet that penetrates and expands sufficiently, put in the right place.

In a way, these threads tend to remind me about those discussing the best brown bear cartridges. Generally, 90% of the answers are from hunters who've never seen a brown bear--and who tend to ignore the answers from guides who've seen dozens or even hundreds taken.

Thank you for your extended comment MD. I’ve seen these clarifications in a number of your articles but don’t recall a single article dedicated to misconceptions based on old knowledge. Perhaps an educational address is in order. By the way, I have absolutely no idea what constitutes a sufficient brown bear cartridge these days.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Mule Deer, the argument though isn't whether the .22 centrefires kill dear, it's whether they kill exactly the same as perhaps a .270 which has a 52% larger unexpanded hole size. Now its accepted that much of the time there won't be any identifiable difference in the results, especially on smaller game at close distances, but to say that all the time the results would be the same is where there is the differing point of view. Even in terms of weight alone, a 150 grain .270 bullet has double the weight of a 75 grain .224 bullet. Happy to hear your thoughts.

You need to check your math. The percentage difference in diameter between a .22 CF bullet (.223") and a .270 bullet (.277") is only 24%, not 52%. (.227-.223 divided by .223 = 24.2%)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Are we comparing diameter or area for the hole size?

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

You need to check your math. The percentage difference in diameter between a .22 CF bullet (.223") and a .270 bullet (.277") is only 24%, not 52%. (.227-.223 divided by .223 = 24.2%)

The math is correct. The formula for the hole size is pi x square of the radius

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Originally Posted by shootem
If you didn't reply to my posts in such a dogmatic manner, and were a little more courteous, then I wouldn't reply to you in a manner you dislike.

You’re making a pretty bad case for yourself. Throwing around false absolutes like they’re common knowledge and making excuses for your poor judgment. Then making crude attempts at insulting remarks. And so far facts have done nothing to dissuade your inaccurate comments. There are quite a few people here that know a hell of a lot more about shooting than I do, let alone you. You would be well served to let your brain act as a sponge rather than a rock. Done with rebuttals. No need to hijack a thread with petty arguments.
You were so adamant that your views were correct yet you don't know what constitutes a suitable bear cartridge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Are we comparing diameter or area for the hole size?

A hole through the airbags is a hole through the airbags, IMO.

Give me something north of 3000 fps, preferably something 3400 or more with a 22 caliber and stuff dies rather quickly.

Especially with a 55 grain Sierra Gameking. The 60 grain Nosler Partition is about as fast killing. This in cartridges from 223 to 220 Swift.

Same with every step up in caliber but once you get over about .264 combined with 3000+ fps it gets pretty rough on deer sized game.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/03/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

As said before, you're referring to diameter differences (which I think you got wrong too, on a few points). He was talking about surface area of the front plane of the bullets.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
The guy who heavily promoted the .243 and .244 in the 1950's, and used them extensively, years later concludes that for African plains game you should restrict their use to no more than 200 lb animals. His 7mm Mashburn was better for the 200lb plus African plains game.

With the bullets available back then, that was pretty solid advice.
105 grain Speers were used mostly. And one more thing, he was National Benchrest champion...so there goes the argument of "you just need good bullet placement" down the drain.

What does that have to do with what I said. Being a BR champion means very little in regards to bullet performance and I’d put any TTSX, PT up against the old 105 Speer all day long.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The guy who heavily promoted the .243 and .244 in the 1950's, and used them extensively, years later concludes that for African plains game you should restrict their use to no more than 200 lb animals. His 7mm Mashburn was better for the 200lb plus African plains game.

With the bullets available back then, that was pretty solid advice.
105 grain Speers were used mostly. And one more thing, he was National Benchrest champion...so there goes the argument of "you just need good bullet placement" down the drain.

What does that have to do with what I said. Being a BR champion means very little in regards to bullet performance and I’d put any TTSX, PT up against the old 105 Speer all day long.
The bullets that were used is directly relevant to what was being said. The fact that he was National Benchrest champion is an indicator that he was probably a good shot on game as well, but it is not conclusive. However, others at the time who hunted with Page have independently verified what an excellent shot he was on game. That being the case, what I said about there goes the argument that you just need good bullet placement is supported.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barnes VOR-TX 55 gr. TSX from an 18.5"/1:9 Bbl'ed 580 Series Mini-14 Ranch:

MV: ~ 2995 fps/1100 ft-lbs.
Zero: 200 yds. (+2.3" at 100 yds.)

250 yd: ~ 1970 fps/475 ft-lbs.
Drop: ~ 3.8"

GR

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by T_Inman

As said before, you're referring to diameter differences (which I think you got wrong too, on a few points). He was talking about surface area of the front plane of the bullets.

Fair enough. Still not a [bleep] bit of difference when each the bullets mentioned go through things vital for life of the animal.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Fair enough. Still not a [bleep] bit of difference when each the bullets mentioned go through things vital for life of the animal.

I won't disagree with that at all.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Guys,

Regarding the diameter of bullets, one thing that is mathematically certain is, the increasing
diameter and increasing WEIGHT result in increasing ENERGY, that the targeted animal is
subjected to. Limit the variables to two points, bullet diameter and bullet weight, each increas-
ing. All else keep constant for comparison. (B.C., velocity at impact, etc.) For example, say
you have 10 different diameter bullets, all by the same company, all made the same way, and
they expand in the animals' bodies. Say you could shoot 10 of the same sized deer in the same
spot, ten bullet tests on ten animals. And say all ten bullets went all the way through the animals,
BUT DID NOT EXIT, but actually stopped just inside the skin on the off side, causing a visible
BULGE. That means that the full available energy was used to damage that deer! In general,
the bigger the diameter, the more it weighs, the greater the Trauma caused by ENERGY, that
the animal's bone and tissue is damaged with. It is this ENERGY that causes ever increasing
damage to more and more tissue, that's farther from the bullet path. The d a r n hole being
.223 or .243 or .308 or .358 or .375 of an INCH is not the issue. Look at the charts to see the
huge differences in ENERGY that the different size bullets have at 100 yards out!

Last edited by BigFiveJack; 04/03/22.

Jack
Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,761
Posts18,495,528
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.