Print Thread
Hop To
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
I'm going to be in the area in a few weeks and was wondering if there are any old-time gunshops in the area? I'm aware of Grice's up in Clearfield, but that's it. Maybe eastern Ohio for the way back to Michigan, too.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ace Sporting Goods in Washington PA on US19 north of I 70 might be worth a stop:

http://www.acesportinggoods.com/

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Gun Rack in Belle Vernon is old school.
Schultzes in Apollo.
Bee's guns in Saltsburg.
If you like Sakos Accuflite in Murrysvile.
Never been but I've heard that Cove Creek in Bedford is one to see.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Big Buck sports shop in Wexford Pa. Has some of the best upper end guns in the area.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I'm going to be in the area in a few weeks and was wondering if there are any old-time gunshops in the area? I'm aware of Grice's up in Clearfield, but that's it. Maybe eastern Ohio for the way back to Michigan, too.

If you will be traveling Route 22 between between Altoona and Pittsburgh stop at Bullseye Gun Vault in New Alexandria, a young fella with old sensibilities owns it and generally has quite a few used along with new. Old bank building.

https://bullseyegunvault.com/our-gun-vault/

I would also recommend Johnson's Gun Depot south of Greensburg in Norvelt, lots of used guns last I was there. Web page is odd to access but has some information.

https://www.localgymsandfitness.com/US/Norvelt/559694384077383/Johnson%27s-Gun-Depot

Also off of 22 in Delmont, some of the best pizza I have ever had at Ianni's Pizzeria.

http://www.iannispizzaria.com/

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i second johnsons in norvelt and bullseye in new alexandria. cloverleaf gunshop in latrobe has some nice stuff occasionally but its only the size of a big garden shed. those 3 there are all within 20 minutes or so of each other and not far off of 30.

My diploma is a DD214
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Joel Etchens in Ligionier
Bob's army navy in Clearfield

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gutthooked

As posted in another thread Bobs is closing on june 24th , I have not been there yet since hearing this but may be worth a stop !

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I used to stop at Hoovers and S&S in Rockwood, when I lived in Somerset.

I was at Bob's Army Navy this afternoon, they still had a quite a bit of stuff on the shelves. Discounts ranged from 5%-30% depending on what it was. Ammo, Clothing, Reloading, Boots etc. Came home with a pair of Danner boots, a Carhartt Sweatshirt, pair of Lee jeans and a pair of the outer shells for the (surplus) Army wool trigger finger mittens. Going to miss that store.

There's a small shop in DuBois called Extreme Shooting Sports. I was in there a couple of days ago. They were pretty well stocked. One of the best things about Extreme is that they are just over the hill from Scotty's Donuts. DuBois may be too far away for you though.

Dale

This space for rent

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
there used to be an awesome little gun shop in Sugarcreek, PENN but last time I was in that area it was an empty building

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sportsmen Outfitters in Knox, Pa is a great shop. About an hour from me, but my go to shop. https://www.sportsmenoutfitterspa.com/

If you end up near there, about 20 min away is Route 66 Sporting Goods. https://route66sportinggoods.com/

Sportsmans Supply Co in Butler used to be an awesome shop, but he's solely focused in his Gunbroker Sales now. He'sone of the top 10 sellers on gunbroker. I worked part time for him for many years. He has a perfect personality for online sales.......
http://sportsmanssupplyco.com/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Joel Etchens is...different.
Ligionier is not a high crime place. Nice little town at the bottom of the mountain.

The sign says Joel Etchen. And has an image of a broken claybirds, but you won't realize
that's what it even is at first. NOTHING ABOUT GUNS.
When you try to go in, the door is locked.
Rattle it.
They will come open it for you.
The gun room is to your left, through the vault door!
Pretty much nothing but shotguns.
And Browning is about the cheapest thing they sell!

Cove Creek is 4 miles from here.
I don't darken their door.
Google American Outfitter Stores.
They played a dirty/greedy game and bankrupted the stores.
Screwed suppliers out of many millions.

Kept the original store in the owners name, saved it, had the cash to fully
turn the basement into the gun shop. Within a couple months of bankruptcy.
Fully stocked.
With a 70 foot long row of guns, and on my visit, the owner was
asking a cabinet builder to build an equal length display for "cheaper guns, Remington
and Winchester type stuff, because we still have around 100 guns in boxes".

JMHO of them.

Lock Stock and Barrel in the Everett True Value is a good little store.
Juinata Trading Post is a place to check out.

Near Johnstown Is Supporting Goods Discounters. Good place to hit if nearby,
Not worth a drive.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
CAC Associates in Ebensburg for ammo and reloading supplies.

Last edited by Stammster; 04/02/22.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have nothing to add. Been to almost every shop mentioned and they are all pretty good.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Cove Creek is 4 miles from here.
I don't darken their door.
Google American Outfitter Stores.
They played a dirty/greedy game and bankrupted the stores.
Screwed suppliers out of many millions.

Kept the original store in the owners name, saved it, had the cash to fully
turn the basement into the gun shop. Within a couple months of bankruptcy.
Fully stocked.
With a 70 foot long row of guns, and on my visit, the owner was
asking a cabinet builder to build an equal length display for "cheaper guns, Remington
and Winchester type stuff, because we still have around 100 guns in boxes".

JMHO of them.

ya i don't know who cove creeks customer base is. the bedford county i know wouldn't support their prices. probably the same people who go to bedford springs and rent a 300 dollar room and spend 10 bucks a gallon for fresh cider at the foliage festival. i went in wearing overalls and felt really out of place. i don't know if they had anything for less than a grand and i didn't see any used guns that i could tell.

there used to be a nice little shop at the other end of town towards the fairgrounds, i think it was laurel sport shop? they were a nice old fashioned store. had a huuuuge buck mounted on the wall that was shot down in one of the local coves. i remember reading the story about it in game news years ago.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Murphy's in Johnstown for wings....thank me later!! 👍

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dillon pretty well covered Bedford/Everett. Not much to add there except Juniata Trading Between Everett and Breezewood. They seem to have as much as anyone else does.
25 miles east of Breezewood is McConnelsburg. If you’re around check out Buchanan’s in the plaza on Rt 16 above town.
Also check out Campbell’s in Holidaysburg. It’s on Rt 22 behind Sheetz.
Everyplace around here is hit and miss as to ammo and components. I stop whenever I’m in the area and cross my fingers.
I’ve found Sportsman’s Warehouse in Altoona to be a big letdown. Not nearly as well stocked as I expected.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Grice gun shop in Clearfield

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

ya i don't know who cove creeks customer base is. the bedford county i know wouldn't support their prices. probably the same people who go to bedford springs and rent a 300 dollar room and spend 10 bucks a gallon for fresh cider at the foliage festival. i went in wearing overalls and felt really out of place. i don't know if they had anything for less than a grand and i didn't see any used guns that i could tell.

there used to be a nice little shop at the other end of town towards the fairgrounds, i think it was laurel sport shop? they were a nice old fashioned store. had a huuuuge buck mounted on the wall that was shot down in one of the local coves. i remember reading the story about it in game news years ago.
[/quote]

Personally know some of the family at Cove Creek, the old man (Bob) isn't too bad.
His kids and grandkids.....snobby is good enough.
They do a lot of internet business, according to folks I know who have that info.
And they are the shop of choice for raffles.

Like this one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]albanian flag wallpaper

If I win, I will darken their door.😁
No fear though.
When it comes to gambling, I'm the most unlucky(and lucky) SOB around.
Lucky, in that I'm so unlucky, I'm not driven to waste much $ on it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Lion Country supply in Port Matilda, especially if you're a bird hunter.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,848
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.