Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Going to be up in Anchorage for work the week of 18-21APR22 and may have some down time in the schedule. If you had a day to work with and a rental car, what would be your first picks? Too early for spring kings and/or bows, right?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get the Alaskan Burger at Hamburger Haven.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get out and drive, see as much as you can.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by High_Noon

On the list!

Originally Posted by John_Havard

Think I've ticked most of those off at some point or another- not any fishing going on within an hour or two drive that time of year, is there?

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Would avoid Hamburger Haven moved one years ago 1/2" of mold in soft drink fountain, could scrape grease 1/4" in the cooking area, sewage back up in one, they were stacking buns, that were floating in sewage, buns were in plastic, from floor to higher racks. Never been in one since!

Last edited by kk alaska; 04/03/22.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Main event catering on 78th between the Old and New Seward highways has the best burger in ANC now.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You should be able to find a bear on hillsides to the south of town with a decent binocular. Nights will be quite short by then.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Drive toward Whittier, you don't have to go through the tunnel since you're short on time. Turn around at the tunnel and head down to Seward or Soldotna. Hopefully, it's a beautiful sunny day, Alaska is the most beautiful on a blue sunny day; and that's just my opinion. Food? Moose's Tooth, Bear Tooth, or you can just Google best restaurant near me and decide. Have a great trip!

Last edited by HARDBALLER; 04/03/22.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
get on a boat in Homer and catch a couple winter kings out on the salt

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

🤢🤮

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SeldomSeenSmith

🤢🤮

Haha check. Like the glassing bears idea, will throw a pair of binos in my bag

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

All you guys got is burgers and beer in Los Anchorage?

I know it's not really Alaska, but that's the best you guys can suggest ? smirk

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Nobody even has to suggest the Bush Co anymore, its famous already

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I think getting out of town was a good recommendation. I guess if you like museums, we have a good museum. If you like aviation, Lake Hood can be a cool stop, but probably not a full day. If you like aviation and museums, we have a good aviation museum... or so I have heard.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
For food and drink here is last years list:
https://www.adnbestofalaska.com/winners#food-and-drink

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

the best Alaskan food comes from all over the state and ya gotta kill & prepare it yourself

this was my dinner 10 min ago .....

Bbq'd Montague Island (Cape Clear) Red snapper, Thai jasmine rice, herring eggs on kelp from Sitka and Kenai River sockeye salmon eggs

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Music_Man
For food and drink here is last years list:
https://www.adnbestofalaska.com/winners#food-and-drink

A few points about some of the businesses listed here...

Spenard Roadhouse is not bad... however it is owned by a group of left wingers of the worst kind. Snow City Cafe, Crush, South, and a couple others are owned by the same group. One of the group of owners is our past mayor. Another was on a very small board which got to choose which restaurants got special dispensations during Covid shutdowns and were so obviously twisted. One restaurant got to put up a tent on city property, another to shut down a city street to set up their tent in the street. Many other restaurants were turned down though they wanted to use their own property!

Kriner's Diner is on the list and it is worthy! The food is good, portions are huge, and the owners are good conservative folks.

Turnagain Arm Pit used to be in a tiny building and they put out great BBQ. They got into a full-size restaurant and started up a small storefront in Anchorage also. They several times I have been to the new place the meat sucks. It seems rushed, bland, and not worth the money. The Smokehouse BBQ is on the list and it proves we do not understand BBQ in this town. AJs Ribs a GO GO is also on the list and is easily the best in town.

Lucky Wishbone has the best chicken in town.

Sullivan's Steakhouse is seriously overly pretensious, overly expensive, and the food is very mediocre. The steaks are way sub-par. Club Paris has the best steak in town. If you can get to Girdwood to the Double Muskie you can get the best steak around. About half the people eating there order the French Pepper Steak.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I agree with Sitka deer and his recommendations. I won’t go to places where the former mayor has an interest. I like Simon & Seafort’s and Charlie’s Bakery as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You will be about a month early for kings in Ship Creek (in Anchorage).

Kings can be found in Homer, but a bit far for a day trip. About 4-1/2 hrs each way.

Charters out of Seward typically start at the end of April or beginning of May (which ever lands closest to a weekend). You might try calling ProFish-n-Sea. Their website shows fishing from March to October. It will probably be hit or miss on when they can fill a boat. They may be able to steer you towards someplace else if they are not running then.

As already suggested, getting out of town for some sight seeing is probably your best bet. April is generally one of the sunnier months, and with snow still around the sights can be spectacular. Some brown spring ugliness to be found too. South towards Whittier or Seward will yield the most scenic views. If you have not seen Denali yet, you could make a trip north. There a couple viewing locations part way up to the park, or on the way to Talkeetna.

It might be a week or two early and a long trip if you go. Once roads have been cleared Denali NP allows access further in than during tourist season. Pre-season access is typically allowed past the Savage River to the Teklanika viewing area. You might be able to sight a bear or two?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1badf350, 21, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 50 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,663
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.