-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I dunno..mine says .275 Rigby on it, and the brass is head stamped likewise.That said I think the OP is right, original designation was always simply ".275"

To sound cool we shooters in America do that kind of thing a lot.Witness the .45 Long Colt.....there is no such thing.

My .275 for effect...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
Even Craig Boddington is calling the .275 the "".275 Rigby.""

And now the new Rigby company is (delightedly I am sure) actually marking rifles with .275 Rigby, and making headstamped ammo!

.275 Rigby is an imaginary cartridge name that seems to have come around since the internet, mostly by American writers, who I can only assume have confused the .275 Rigby- Mauser rifles sold by Rigby as the first bit of that name being the chambering and the second bit being the rifle. It's incorrect. It's the .275 - while the rifles J Rigby&Co sold were "Rigby-Mausers".

It was never called a .275 Rigby. In the old catalogues, it was just a .275 bore. That's just what they called the 7x57 in England and the colonies. Same as a .303 was a .303.

Their has never been an original Rigby rifle stamped "".275 Rigby"" or a rifle by any other makers like Westley Richards, Holland and Holland or anyone else stamped "".275 Rigby"" and their has never been any ammunition British or German called ".275 Rigby" or any cartridges ever headstamped "".275 Rigby.""

Rigby sold rifles chambered in .275 (and their own ammunition marked for the bore size.) The .275 ammo sold by Rigby was just their own brand of high velocity loading - they never called it by their own name, the ammo boxes were marked .275 bore, Rigby High Velocity cartridges.

I first noticed it sometime around twenty years ago. Somehow this has turned into some kind of internet truth that .275 Rigby is a cartridge name. People make custom 7x57's (or .275's) and have them stamped .275 Rigby. But it's nothing to do with Rigby.

The new Rigby company, is no doubt delighted that American gun writers have mistaken this cartridge for having something to do with them, haven't said a word, even though they have all the old ledgers which show the rifles all marked as ".275 or .275 HV"" (But from photos I've seen of the people at that company, the new Rigby company people they all seem to be hipsters under the age of thirty, so possibly they just don't know any better either.) And surely Craig Boddington doesn't do all his research on the internet.

Can we stop this now. It's just...annoying.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/VM9bLz4/275.webp[/img]

Perhaps see if Duluth Trading Company ships internationally and order up some appropriately sized buck-naked boxers. You have a serious case of undie-bunch and DTC can sort you out.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We Americans sure do a wonderful job of bodgering the English language. Hell, every language come to think of it.

What makes my eyeballs roll back into my head is "Remmy", Winny", "Bob", "Creed", etc. Are people's fingers broken, such that they can't type a couple extra letters? I say this in jest (sort of), and suppose that it's part of the natural progression into "text speak" that is taking over our vernacular. That or a need to sound witty/hip.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
We Americans sure do a wonderful job of bodgering the English language. Hell, every language come to think of it.

What makes my eyeballs roll back into my head is "Remmy", Winny", "Bob", "Creed", etc. Are people's fingers broken, such that they can't type a couple extra letters? I say this in jest (sort of), and suppose that it's part of the natural progression into "text speak" that is taking over our vernacular. That or a need to sound witty/hip.

Thank you. (speed goats? really?)

Last edited by flintlocke; 04/04/22.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[quote=ingwe]I dunno..mine says .275 Rigby on it, and the brass is head stamped likewise.That said I think the OP is right, original designation was always simply ".275"

To sound cool we shooters in America do that kind of thing a lot.Witness the .45 Long Colt.....there is no such thing.

My .275 for effect...

Tom,

One of the things I did during this discussion was get out my reproduction copy of the 1924 Magazine Sporting Rifles catalog of John Rigby & Co. Inside the cover, they list the five rifles available:

.275 bore
.275 bore H.V. [high velocity]
.275 bore Light Model
.350 bore Magnum
.416 bore Big Game

The catalog does not call any of those cartridges Rigby, but JOHN RIGBY& CO. is the top line on the cover, and printed in the largest, boldest letters. This might suggest to some people that the listed cartridges are, uh, Rigby cartridges.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[quote=ingwe]I dunno..mine says .275 Rigby on it, and the brass is head stamped likewise.That said I think the OP is right, original designation was always simply ".275"

My .275 for effect...

Tom,

One of the things I did during this discussion was get out my reproduction copy of the 1924 Magazine Sporting Rifles catalog of John Rigby & Co. Inside the cover, they list the five rifles available:

.275 bore
.275 bore Light Model
.350 bore Magnum
.416 bore Big Game

The catalog does not call any of those cartridges Rigby, but JOHN RIGBY& CO. is the top line on the cover, and printed in the largest, boldest letters. This might suggest to some people that the listed cartridges are, uh, Rigby cartridges.

Sir, Question - what were the prices listed back in 24?

Me

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I think they sold 'em by the pound. Hee hee. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, they did!

The prices ranged upward from 26 pounds 5 shillings for the basic .275s (not the Light Model) to 47 pounds 5 shillings for the .416 bore Big Game.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thought I might also post photos of this genuine Rigby rifle in .416, the favorite back-up rifle of Luke Samaras, the well-known African PH, when in 2011 I hunted with his company in what was then the Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. I'll never have the coin to call them up and order a rifle but maybe I can piece one together.

Scratch together a piece of wood, wait a while, then an action etc - I know - long run it's more expensive than making the call but I like the look more than the name. Fancy wood, rust blue big hole in the end are the requirements.

Me

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Teal,

The solution I eventually came up with, after getting a chance to shoot Harry Selby's famous .416 Rigby around 20 years ago in Arkansas (he sold it to a rice farmer there after retiring) was buying a used CZ 550 Magnum in .416 and modifying the "Bavarian" style stock to come closer to Rigby's contours.

While down there I also got to weigh the Selby .416, which went 9-1/4 pounds, and felt quite handy, so that's also the weight I tried for--and accomplished. It worked quite well, and Luke was pretty intrigued with too, since as noted he decided the .416 was the best all-around back-up rifle in his considerable collection (which included doubles), because it was powerful enough for stopping elephants but shot flat enough to killing wounded lions while running away at up to 200 yards. (I never did shoot an elephant or lion with my .416 a couple years ago, but did get three buffalo.)

Unfortunately, of course, CZ no longer makes any model of the 550, and prices have gone up. I got mine for $1000 around 2000, and did all the stock-work myself.

Might add that the words on top of the action are "Rigby's Special .416 Bore For Big Game." So perhaps we should call the cartridge "Rigby's .416" instead of ".416 Rigby."

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Teal,

The solution I eventually came up with, after getting a chance to shoot Harry Selby's famous .416 Rigby around 20 years ago in Arkansas (he sold it to a rice farmer there after retiring) was buying a used CZ 550 Magnum in .416 and modifying the "Bavarian" style stock to come closer to Rigby's contours.

While down there I also got to weigh the Selby .416, which went 9-1/4 pounds, and felt quite handy, so that's also the weight I tried for--and accomplished. It worked quite well, and Luke was pretty intrigued with too, since as noted he decided the .416 was the best all-around back-up rifle in his considerable collection (which included doubles), because it was powerful enough for stopping elephants but shot flat enough to killing wounded lions while running away at up to 200 yards. (I never did shoot an elephant or lion with my .416 a couple years ago, but did get three buffalo.)

Unfortunately, of course, CZ no longer makes any model of the 550, and prices have gone up. I got mine for $1000 around 2000, and did all the stock-work myself.

Might add that the words on top of the action are "Rigby's Special .416 Bore For Big Game." So perhaps we should call the cartridge "Rigby's .416" instead of ".416 Rigby."

Mine would be used exclusively on stumps or maybe a Yooper whitetail - it's purely a want, driven by childhood dreams of some day working for Rigby/Holland & Holland etc. ZERO practical use or need so I was thinking 375

I'll start looking around next year for an action etc.

Me

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wonder if there is any 25/36 Marlin brass?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

My .275 for effect...

Tom,

.275 bore
.275 bore Light Model
.350 bore Magnum
.416 bore Big Game

Yeah we in America have the habit of throwing a name on a number, like .243 Win..30-06 Springfield,etc. But we also frequently have a habit of just saying .243, .270 etc....sooooo like most of the english language we butcher, there seems to be few rules. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I’m going to start referring to my 1903a3 as a “.30 Government-‘06” smile

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Tom2506
I’m going to start referring to my 1903a3 as a “.30 Government-‘06” smile

Ah, but grasshopper, the gov't never used the word "government" in their cartridge titles. That was done by commercial and private interests, initially to differentiate from .30 Army (.30-40 Krag) ammo.

Example:

Cartridge, Ball, Caliber .30, M1906.

Or for WWII-era ball ammo: Cartridge, Ball, Caliber .30 M2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Huntz I think you can use 25-35 win cases and ammo in the Marlin. That is what I read in the old days, unless you just want some marked that way.

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
.25-36 is ever so slightly bigger in body/shoulder. Protocol is to fire .25-35 in it and then only neck size thereafter.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Huntz
I wonder if there is any 25/36 Marlin brass?

Quality Cartridge still makes a run of it once in a blue moon, but it's pricey.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Rose is a Rose no matter the name.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1minute, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,417
Posts18,489,076
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.