Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Sierra TMKs 130 gr 6.5mm.

Are not advertised as hunting bullets and open way to fast for even deer.

Good info there. I was wondering. Have some on the shelf and wondered about them.

What were you shooting them from where they were so explosive?

Semper Fi
HR IC

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ll add my partition experience. Bout 30 years ago my brother shot a dandy 6 point Roosevelt bull, bout a mile from my current residence. Husquvarna 7 mag, 150 partitions, bout 200 yards. Said he shot, no response whatsoever from the bull and his pard that was a twin. Got me, the Ol man and another pard to go look. Cut the 2 sets of tracks in a clearcut, absolutely no blood whatsoever. Tracked em from the clearcut to the reprod. Once in the reprod we lost the tracks, as you do when you look down in the shiit we hunt and can’t see your own feet. We all spread out and started looking, took a hour or so, and 250-300 through the thickest shiit you seen and we found his bull. Perfect behind the shoulder shot, both lungs, complete penetration, nickle size hole all the way through, no bloodshot, not [bleep] in the lungs/chest cavity. Ended up with a dead bull, but a fuucked tracking job.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dave7mm
7mm Mashburn.
168g Berger "hunting" bullet.
250 yards.
Good-sized doe.
Off side hole looked like a window.
Kinda reminded me of the John Carpenter movie,
The Thing. Where the dog gets
taken over by the alien and turns itself inside out.
Most disgusting thing I've ever seen. Bullet obviously exploded.
dave

I see what you did there whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Worst for me was a .277 130 grain Speer BT that I tried to use for hunting in the late 80's. I shot 3 animals that fall using that bullet (WT buck, bull, bear) all at ranges under a 100 yards. In every case, the shot would knock them down or stagger them and in each case the animal would get back up and be on the move. Every animal took multiple shots to eventually kill even with shoulder shots. Very little penetration in every case.

On the buck, the bullet literally exploded with less than an inch of penetration. It was a long tracking job. I was young, inexperienced to bullet performance and didn't know this wasn't supposed to happen. That was until my uncle saw the rodeo with the buck and suggested using a Partition, which I did for many years with no problems. I'm pretty sure Speer doesn't make that bullet anymore.

Last edited by Lonny; 04/04/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Judman
I’ll add Berger 210’s at 300 rum velocity. Pard used em for a while, just shook my head. Fuuckers penciled through like a steel rod, few bulls, antelope and some bucks. Love me some 140 Berger’s though

That’s pretty surprising, most folks trip over themselves telling you how well the 215 version works.

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by captjohn
The first 30 caliber 150 grain SST's that came out, explode on impact. problem is still have 100 plus loaded and laying around.

I noticed that too. I had some explosive 139g 7mm set's early on too. They worked well on rock chucks.

Bb

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ll admit Lonny, I’ve never loaded a Speer bullet in my life.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’ll add Berger 210’s at 300 rum velocity. Pard used em for a while, just shook my head. Fuuckers penciled through like a steel rod, few bulls, antelope and some bucks. Love me some 140 Berger’s though

That’s pretty surprising, most folks trip over themselves telling you how well the 215 version works.

I've had very good results with the 215 hybrid. I killed another 5 point bull last fall with a 215 h at 2800 mv from my 300 wsm.

Bb

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by beretzs

I've had very good results with the 215 hybrid. I killed another 5 point bull last fall with a 215 h at 2800 mv from my 300 wsm.

Bb

Yes sir. I barely if ever hear a bad thing about them.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Originally Posted by irfubar
I will don my flame suit... the most failures I have seen has been with Hornady interlocks..... 338 Mag 225 gr failed to penetrate a mule deer buck broadside, 150 yds
Another 180 out of a 300 mag, another mule deer buck , hit quartering onward angle , hit the spine instead of breaking it, traveled down the spine... ended up running to the bottom of the deepest canyon around.... a pack from hell out

Exactly the same bullets I had problems with...

About 15 years or so ago I had a friend complain the 180 I interlocks I loaded for him were blowing up on game. I'd had good luck with that bullet for years so I looked into it. We glued an older one and a newer one to a board and belt sanded them about in half. The older lot had a thicker jacket and a heavy interlock ring and the newer one had a thin jacket and a barely noticeable interlock ring in a different place.

I called Hornady and finally got through to a tech that told me the engineers change them around all the time trying to make them more accurate. I lost a bit of faith in a bullet I'd used for years after that. I used to use interlocks all the time and loaded them for friends that didn't want to spend much.

One time SPS had nosler 180g partition seconds for about $14/ bag. I stocked up because that's about what I was paying fir 180g interlocks at the time. When I had a friend that wanted a hunting load for regular ranged after that I just loaded them the 180 partition seconds. I've never had any complaints on those.

Right after we sectioned the interlocks I switched my rifles over from to the 165 interbonds for a few years. You don't hear much about interbonds but those things worked incredibly well. They hit hard with a large eide mushroom that held together well.

Bb

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The first deer I shot with one of my handloads was with a 117 grain InterLock from a 25-06 at ~3050 fps. She was broadside at roughly 100 yards. I took the high shoulder shot, she dropped. I rolled her over when I got to her and find an exit hole that was 12-14 inches rearward from where I hit her. Again, she was perfectly broadside. While cleaning her, I find that that the core and jacket completely separated. A good chunk of the jacket was stuck in the shoulder not far from where I hit her. The core had taken a hard right turn and left exit hole noted above, damaging some fine blackstrap in the process. I know bone/spine was hit but don’t remember where. I went over 20 years before slinging another InterLock at anything.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

About 15 years or so ago I had a friend complain the 180 I interlocks I loaded for him were blowing up on game. I'd had good luck with that bullet for years so I looked into it. We glued an older one and a newer one to a board and belt sanded them about in half. The older lot had a thicker jacket and a heavy interlock ring and the newer one had a thin jacket and a barely noticeable interlock ring in a different place.

I called Hornady and finally got through to a tech that told me the engineers change them around all the time trying to make them more accurate. I lost a bit of faith in a bullet I'd used for years after that. I used to use interlocks all the time and loaded them for friends that didn't want to spend much.

I believe that's the stink I referenced above.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I much prefer the ttsx to the tsx in anything under 338 if going monometal. I know why sometimes some tsx bullets make it to market that don't expand. While most work well there are some that fail their own expansion tests. They then retool and get them expanding again but somewhere between 2 tests they started to fail and it used to be that the bullets made just before the failed test where still heading down the line for packaging.

That was nearly 20 years ago before the ttsx. I suggested the ttsx at the time because it allows a larger more forgiving hp. They didn't want to go tipped at first because they felt their bullets were already too long. Thats when they played around with a tungsten rear core called Mr X i think. I told them just go ttsx because people should be using a lighter monos anyways. Later when they decided to try the ttsx i got some 150g 308 cal and shot one diagnoly through a moose at 547 yards. I told them I don't see a use for a 30 cal mono over the 168g.

They can form the hp for the ttsx more reliably even as the tungsten punches that form them wear down a bit. In the larger size the tsx are pretty reliable because the punches wear less and the hp is bigger. The bigger hard kicking rounds can sometimes be a bit tough on tips so I like the 270 tsx in a 375.

Bb

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mathman

I believe that's the stink I referenced above.

Probably, I wasn't the only one who noticed it. I think I figured it out around the mid 2000s maybe 2004 or so.

Bb

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Pronghorn and up, what’s the worst performing bullet you’ve used? For me it’s gotta be any of the Barnes mono bullets.

First gen Nosler Ballistic Tips. Couple of the funniest elk races I've ever been a part of were because of those early NBTs. Although there are several others popular bullets here on the fire that are almost as bad, at least for elk.

Killed a cow last fall with a 308 and 150g TTSX. I liked how it performed.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Too bad it's too hard to manufacture a tipped boat partition with a high bc. I think that would be close to my ideal bullet. I know the NAB was meant to perform like that but I'd like to see a soft front core and a separate rear.

Bb

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Winchester Failsafes weren't too good at expanding for the short time they were on the market.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ll admit Lonny, I’ve never loaded a Speer bullet in my life.

After the experience I had with that bullet, I never tried a Speer bullet for hunting again.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Some of the last Silver Tips I used lacked in performance on deer and hogs.

GreggH

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Pronghorn and up, what’s the worst performing bullet you’ve used? For me it’s gotta be any of the Barnes mono bullets.

First gen Nosler Ballistic Tips. Couple of the funniest elk races I've ever been a part of were because of those early NBTs. Although there are several others popular bullets here on the fire that are almost as bad, at least for elk.

Killed a cow last fall with a 308 and 150g TTSX. I liked how it performed.

Interesting. 2004 I was trying the Nosler 180g Accubonds out of a 30-378. I would consistently lose the Abond tip inside the magazine pan after the first shot I fired. The second cartridge to be chambered would have a cavernous hole in the metplat where the tip had come off.

I was grateful that, one hit from the 30-378, would typically be enough. I sent the (2) partial boxes back to Nosler for them to analyze. They couldn’t come up with a definitive answer on why the tips were coming off.

They asked me if I wanted (2) new boxes of the same? I passed on them and asked for boxes loaded with the Barnes TSX bullet.

🦫

PS

After years of shooting the Barnes TSX. I switched back to the Nosler Abonds. They’ve been great at killing things for me. I don’t have the 30-378 anymore. Maybe that was the problem to begin with 🤷🏽‍♀️

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 7887mm08, 35, 21, 15 invisible), 1,564 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,956
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.