Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 21 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 20 21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kaleb
One thing I can’t help but notice is this. Most of the people who are using a 243 shoot kill put up and eat a lot of deer. Year after year. We know our equipment works fine for what we will be doing because WE DO IT.

Then we have another group who keep going on about all this hypothetical stuff. What if it’s a bad angle what if it’s running what if it’s thick cover what if it weighs 300 pounds. lol.

Serious question. How many of you normally shoot(or ever) 300 pound deer running in a thicket at bad angles?

For the most part you have people who do stuff and people who talk about doing stuff. Most people do more talking about it and thinking about it than doing it. Maybe that’s why all the worst case scenario stuff keeps coming up? What do y’all do when your alarm doesn’t go off? What do you do if your truck doesn’t start or have a flat? What if a tree fell across the road. You can what if all day long. Meanwhile the world is full of people who go out and make meat with 243’s and the like.

I shot a running away buck in the woods. Not bragging about the bullet placement. The bullet hit the major bone in the hip and traveled up to the shoulder. It expanded to twice the caliber.
30-06 & 180 grain Hornady bullets. Try that with your 223.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
HR IC

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
My opening post asked two questions essentially.
(1) Do you who use .243 and smaller rounds to deer hunt, choose NOT to shoot at certain shot presentations,
that you would have shot had you been using a larger and more powerful round?
(2) Do you choose to hunt with .243 and smaller ammo to intentionally challenge yourselves more, as Peterson
of the publishing empire did, when he hunted ducks with a .410 shotgun? Peterson stated that it was harder to
get the ducks to come in close enough, to make the .410 effective, and he wanted that extra challenge.

Jack
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
One thing I can’t help but notice is this. Most of the people who are using a 243 shoot kill put up and eat a lot of deer. Year after year. We know our equipment works fine for what we will be doing because WE DO IT.

Then we have another group who keep going on about all this hypothetical stuff. What if it’s a bad angle what if it’s running what if it’s thick cover what if it weighs 300 pounds. lol.

Serious question. How many of you normally shoot(or ever) 300 pound deer running in a thicket at bad angles?

For the most part you have people who do stuff and people who talk about doing stuff. Most people do more talking about it and thinking about it than doing it. Maybe that’s why all the worst case scenario stuff keeps coming up? What do y’all do when your alarm doesn’t go off? What do you do if your truck doesn’t start or have a flat? What if a tree fell across the road. You can what if all day long. Meanwhile the world is full of people who go out and make meat with 243’s and the like.

Kaleb have you ever seen one of these giant northern whitetail bucks in the woods they inhabit? Until you do you simply cannot appreciate how difficult they are to hunt and often put down in their home territory.
To OP my daughter is learning to hunt with a 243. I am teaching her high percentage kill shot placement and am fully confident in the round and its ability. This year she will be.moving.up to a 7x57 not because of anything other than it's what we use a lot of and have a lot of reloading components of on hand. I find it easier.to have everyone on the same caliber.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bluefish
You've obviously never hunted the big northern woods.

Have you ever used a modern 22 caliber bullet, launched from anything from 223 on up in velocity, on deer?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bugger

I shot a running away buck in the woods. Not bragging about the bullet placement. The bullet hit the major bone in the hip and traveled up to the shoulder. It expanded to twice the caliber.

I watched my wife shoot a quartering buck in the shoulder with a 223 and after breaking the shoulder the bullet traveled through one lung, the liver, assorted guts, and part of the hind quarter before coming to rest under the hide. He traveled less than 10 yards before he croaked. Is that good enough?

As people who’ve extensively used smaller calibers have said more than once in this very thread, good bullets available today make a much bigger gun out of small calibers.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by BigFiveJack
. But back to my main question, why do you hunt deer with these .204s .22s of various breeds, .243s and .17s and other small
rounds ?????
Thank you for helping me to understand this aspect of deer hunting.

They’re fun to shoot, they work well, I’m apt to shoot them more year round, my daughter and I can both use them, reloading them is waaaaayyyyy cheaper than my big bore lever actions, etc.

I don’t take butt shots, or intentionally fire through brush anymore, no matter what shoulder cannon I’m carrying. Everybody’s priorities are different though.

Last edited by paint; 04/05/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Give me a ttsx and I will make it happen.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
[BigFiveJack]
Do you all that
shoot deer with .243 Win and smaller turn down certain shots that you would have taken if you'd been carrying a .257 Roberts or
larger caliber rifle?

No, I take the same shots no matter.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
(1) Do you who use .243 and smaller rounds to deer hunt, choose NOT to shoot at certain shot presentations,
(2) Do you choose to hunt with .243 and smaller ammo to intentionally challenge yourselves more, as Peterson
of the publishing empire did, when he hunted ducks with a .410 shotgun? Peterson stated that it was harder to
get the ducks to come in close enough, to make the .410 effective, and he wanted that extra challenge.

I shoot em like I did with the 30-06, 270 and so on.

We grew up around 223 and 22-250, 243 and 6mm being used as dual purpose rounds for coyotes in front of hounds and the old timers used em on their deer as well.

Never saw any issues and that's why I still rely on a 6mm for 99% of my deer hunting.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

1) I do not choose to skip certain shots with a 223. I'd make the same shot with it as I would if I were carrying a 340 Weatherby.

2) It has nothing about challenge. A 223 works as well as anything I've ever used. Good enough is good enough. I do shoot a 223 far more than a do a big cartridge through the year, by a factor of 1000. It's cheaper and it doesn't hurt. None of this is difficult to comprehend.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Blah blah blah blah blah

All the endorsements for small caliber cartridges being equal to large caliber cartridges.

Take your fast twist 223 to Africa and see how far you will get with that.

Yes there is a difference in what a bigger similarly built bullet will do compared to any small caliber bullet.

What does shooting deer have to do with Africa?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

So because you made a bad shot that worked with your o6 you’re wanting to argue a 223 would not have worked? I’m really not understanding the thought process behind the big gun guys.

This one time when we were kids my brother was aiming behind the shoulder with his 270. He actually hit the deer in the head. The deer collapsed.

Again everyone that is nay saying is all hypothetical while everyone else is killing deer.

For the 300 pound deer killers up in the north east or where ever. How many deer do you kill and process each year ? If you think that doesn’t matter then you just proved another point.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Because while.it sounds similar.to where you bunt no serious big woods hunter chases deer with a 22 or even a 243. For jump shooting and running shots those calibers are not as effective as larger rounds.

Sorry to quote you twice, bluefish, but it may shock some northern hunters to know that Tennessee was stocked with northern strain deer back in the 1940’s-1980’s. My friends and I bag a 200+pound dressed buck about every other year, with most mature bucks that we get dressing ( not live weight ) 165-180#. Again, dressed weight.

I’m sure the biggest northern bucks on average are heavier, but southern States can surprise you.

And......quite a few of my group’s bucks are killed with .243’s and the occasional 22/250, and in big woods, much to their chagrin. We’re serious hunters too.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No doubt about anything you've said. Just nobody up here shoots little guns at big deer whether they may work or not. YMMV.

The way life should be.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by TheKid

I watched my wife shoot a quartering buck in the shoulder with a 223 and after breaking the shoulder the bullet traveled through one lung, the liver, assorted guts, and part of the hind quarter before coming to rest under the hide. He traveled less than 10 yards before he croaked. Is that good enough?

As people who’ve extensively used smaller calibers have said more than once in this very thread, good bullets available today make a much bigger gun out of small calibers.

My wife shot a deer with our 22-250AI and a 62 gr tsx. When I got to her I asked where the deer went? She kept saying right there. I was being smart and kept asking yea but which way did he run? She said if you’d listen the deer was and is right there. Went through both front shoulders.

I’m still thinking that two conversations are going on. The people that are killing stuff and the other guys who kill less than 4 deer/animals a year and want to tell everyone else about killing. I wonder if they also send their knives back in for sharpening too….grin.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
No doubt about anything you've said. Just nobody up here shoots little guns at big deer whether they may work or not. YMMV.

Most of the people in Maine don't vote for Republican presidents, so what is your point?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Now we're measuring dicks Kaleb by how many deer are killed each season? Well, how about it stud? How many did you put on the pole last year? Probably more than the 4 I killed. At the end of the day there's hunting deer and then there's hunting mature trophy bucks. You rebs stick to the 22s and we'll stick to what we like. Can we now get back to Kumbaya? And zip your pants back up Kaleb.

The way life should be.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jon_In_Va

Most of the people in Maine don't vote for Republican presidents, so what is your point?

What the fugg are you on about and how would you know who we vote for? You think Portland represents the rest.of us be cause they are a larger voting block? Idiot. Stay in the Commonwealth.

The way life should be.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Now we're measuring dicks Kaleb by how many deer are killed each season? Well, how about it stud? How many did you put on the pole last year? Probably more than the 4 I killed. At the end of the day there's hunting deer and then there's hunting mature trophy bucks. You rebs stick to the 22s and we'll stick to what we like. Can we now get back to Kumbaya? And zip your pants back up Kaleb.

So screwing one fat chick in 10 years makes you a playboy. No wonder you boys voted in Obama and Biden.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Thank you

Page 13 of 21 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (10Glocks, 35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, 8 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,252
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.