Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
CarlsenHighway: We have a saying here in the United States of America - "don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy"!
Put another shrimp on the barbee and crack open a cool one.
Life is just to short.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nomenclature.

Love that word.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, they did!

The prices ranged upward from 26 pounds 5 shillings for the basic .275s (not the Light Model) to 47 pounds 5 shillings for the .416 bore Big Game.

Not cheap! A tradesman of the time would make two quid a week.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

Speaking of nomenclature, we don't actually call them that here.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by dan_oz

Speaking of nomenclature, we don't actually call them that here.

Crikey! Don't come the raw prawn now. grin

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
Even Craig Boddington is calling the .275 the "".275 Rigby.""

And now the new Rigby company is (delightedly I am sure) actually marking rifles with .275 Rigby, and making headstamped ammo!

.275 Rigby is an imaginary cartridge name that seems to have come around since the internet, mostly by American writers, who I can only assume have confused the .275 Rigby- Mauser rifles sold by Rigby as the first bit of that name being the chambering and the second bit being the rifle. It's incorrect. It's the .275 - while the rifles J Rigby&Co sold were "Rigby-Mausers".

It was never called a .275 Rigby. In the old catalogues, it was just a .275 bore. That's just what they called the 7x57 in England and the colonies. Same as a .303 was a .303.

Their has never been an original Rigby rifle stamped "".275 Rigby"" or a rifle by any other makers like Westley Richards, Holland and Holland or anyone else stamped "".275 Rigby"" and their has never been any ammunition British or German called ".275 Rigby" or any cartridges ever headstamped "".275 Rigby.""

Rigby sold rifles chambered in .275 (and their own ammunition marked for the bore size.) The .275 ammo sold by Rigby was just their own brand of high velocity loading - they never called it by their own name, the ammo boxes were marked .275 bore, Rigby High Velocity cartridges.

I first noticed it sometime around twenty years ago. Somehow this has turned into some kind of internet truth that .275 Rigby is a cartridge name. People make custom 7x57's (or .275's) and have them stamped .275 Rigby. But it's nothing to do with Rigby.

The new Rigby company, is no doubt delighted that American gun writers have mistaken this cartridge for having something to do with them, haven't said a word, even though they have all the old ledgers which show the rifles all marked as ".275 or .275 HV"" (But from photos I've seen of the people at that company, the new Rigby company people they all seem to be hipsters under the age of thirty, so possibly they just don't know any better either.) And surely Craig Boddington doesn't do all his research on the internet.

Can we stop this now. It's just...annoying.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/VM9bLz4/275.webp[/img]

LOL!

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
We Americans sure do a wonderful job of bodgering the English language. Hell, every language come to think of it.

What makes my eyeballs roll back into my head is "Remmy", Winny", "Bob", "Creed", etc. Are people's fingers broken, such that they can't type a couple extra letters? I say this in jest (sort of), and suppose that it's part of the natural progression into "text speak" that is taking over our vernacular. That or a need to sound witty/hip.

THANK YOU for saying that. And to this I'll add "running" as an obnoxious substitute for "using"...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What jorgeI said +1

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my Ruger #1 is marked 275 Rigby , but my old Ruger 77 is marked 7x57 my bullets for reloading are marked 7mm some bullets also say .284 . my Ruger #1`s are marked 257 Roberts but i do have a 256 Newton rifle . i do have 275 Rigby brass new and used also 7 x57 brass new and used . the confusion continues ? my 256 Newton rifle and 256 Newton brass might be tuff for my grandkids ? maybe Mule Deer needs to write a book on rifles-bullets-brass- powder for dummies . com ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
By chance I started rereading the book HUNTER last night, the biography of noted African professional J.A. Hunter, written in the 1950s. He grew up in Scotland but moved to Kenya at age 18, where his first centerfire rifle was an unmodified military Mauser 7x57. But he called it a .275, due to Kenya then being a British colony, so the available ammo was probably British as well....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
At the end of the day we humans, for some weird reason, are pre-disposed to modifying the nomenclature of stuff the moment it's released. Whether it's out of ignorance, anger, wittiness, or just plain laziness, there you have it. Perhaps it's one of the ways language evolves? One thing for sure is that sort of nonsense is an impediment to communication in the sense that strictly adhered to spellings and definitions are the pathway to effective and precise communication between people.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
John Taylor in his book African Rifles & Cartridges refers to the 275 (7MM) Rigby in his chapter on small bores.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What about the term "Mannlicher"?

Somehow a Ruger with a stock that extends to the front sight is a Mannlicher?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Bugger

"Fullstock" is sooo hard to spell.
As far as the current trend of calling almost anything that fires a 7 x 57...a .275 Rigby...I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with a couple generations of guys who grew up reading the books of the old guys who hunted Africa and India...who actually may have used Rigby rifles or Eley ammo using the Brit bore diameter? Don't underestimate the power of print or film media to influence the public....I wonder where the .44 Rem Mag would be today without Dirty Harry? Then too, there is the fact that actual Rigby rifles of yesteryear command prices few can afford...so the temptation to abscond with the cachet/name .275 Rigby, incorrect as it may be, onto a well made Mauser Sporter chambered in the working class 7 x 57 by whatever maker is quite strong.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
All of which goes to prove that the "Fire" is a sophisticated group of intellectually apt individuals who are completely at one and totally satisfied with Paul Mauser's offering, lovingly adopted by John Rigby with explored competence throughout Africa, India, Australia and beyond and further imported to the newer colonies by Winchester, sealing the world standing it has today.
If we could have such a life...........

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
"Beware ye, the honeyed words flowing forth from the lips of ye Cousins from Oz."

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bugger

Yeah, that's another one, but grist for another mill.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

We have a saying here in the United States of America - "don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy"!

And here I thought that was a line from an Eagles tune (Take it Easy)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's simple economics... A .275 Rigby is more desirable and hence worth more $$ than any old 7x57 or 7mm Mauser... It reminds me of an almost New Audi my brother sold back in the 80's... Brother hated the color, Calfschit tan with brown guts he called it... Customer came in looking for one... When he got around to asking what color it was i saw my brothers eyes drop... So i blurted out "French Vanilla" with "Chocolate Leather"... Bingo... Fish on & Landed... Been in charge of marketing around here ever since!...

Last edited by 7mm_Loco; 04/05/22.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Everybody knows it as the 7 Mouser!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 27 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,274
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.