Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I bought a Ruger 77/22 that was rebarreled to 17 K [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]Hornet by Tooley custom rifles. I bought a box of 17 hornet ammo to shoot and fire form to 17 k hornet. As I understood, it would create a sharper shoulder and I’d be good to reload the brass. I was wrong. The 17 hornet ammo won’t chamber fully. I’m at a loss…[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am going to try to call Tooley Custom Rifles tomorrow if I can find them. Other than that I don’t know what to do.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I suspect a gunsmith can sniff out the issue. Do you have one you normally use?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a couple 17 Ackley Hornets and I don’t think 17 Hornet brass can be formed by simply fireforming. The 17 K Hornet is very similar to the Ackley Hornet and I believe it is the same issue. Do you have dies for the 17 K hornet yet? Layne Simpson says the 17 Hornet can be run through 17 Ackley dies and then fireformed. Never tried it, I form them from straight 22 Hornet brass.

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/the-sweet-17s/361287

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
$.99 and 6 seconds,will reliably resolve exactly WTF. Hint...............

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jdunham
I have a couple 17 Ackley Hornets and I don’t think 17 Hornet brass can be formed by simply fireforming. The 17 K Hornet is very similar to the Ackley Hornet and I believe it is the same issue. Do you have dies for the 17 K hornet yet? Layne Simpson says the 17 Hornet can be run through 17 Ackley dies and then fireformed. Never tried it, I form them from straight 22 Hornet brass.

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/the-sweet-17s/361287

Yeah, I messed up on that one. I don’t have dies yet. I’m guessing I’ll have to just make 17 K-Hornet brass from unfired 22 hornet brass. I may just pull the bullets and reuse the brass and bullets. I don’t have any other yes for 17 hornet ammo.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick

This one went over my head, not sure what you’re suggesting.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I can tell you that the shoulder on the 17 Hornet is bigger than a 17 Ackley I have. I have sized 17 Hornet brass in a 17 Ackley die and fireform just because I had some. Can't say on the 17 K-Hornet.

Photo of fireformed 17 Ackley and a 17 Hornet sized to fit Ackley chamber before fireforming.
I only had a few 17 Hornet cases so I didn't bother to form a false shoulder on the 17 Hornet cases before fireforming.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 03/20/22.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Tom_in_VT
Originally Posted by Big Stick

This one went over my head, not sure what you’re suggesting.

It’s alright, Big Slit loves to try to sound/act smarter than everyone.

Big Slit, are sharpies really .99 in Alaska?? I heard it’s expensive up there!! 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Tom, he's suggesting to mark up a case, chamber it (or try) and inspect the witness marks to see where it's hitting to get an idea of what's going on.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Higginez
Tom, he's suggesting to mark up a case, chamber it (or try) and inspect the witness marks to see where it's hitting to get an idea of what's going on.

Thanks for dumbing it down for me! I will give it a try.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I can tell you that the shoulder on the 17 Hornet is bigger than a 17 Ackley I have. I have sized 17 Hornet brass in a 17 Ackley die and fireform just because I had some. Can't say on the 17 K-Hornet.

Photo of fireformed 17 Ackley and a 17 Hornet sized to fit Ackley chamber before fireforming.
I only had a few 17 Hornet cases so I didn't bother to form a false shoulder on the 17 Hornet cases before fireforming.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks for the picture, that was very helpful.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The 17 hornet ammo you have is the hornady version of the improved hornet. It is different from the 17 k hornet case and will not chamber as you have found out. Cases have to be made from 22 hornet cases necked down to 17 cal. then loaded and fire formed in your chamber. There are several versions of the improved 17 hornet so make sure when you order dies to get the 17 k hornet version.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's weird...you'd of thought someone would have posted a pic of Hornet Virgins and a means of marking same. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tom in VT,

The .17 Ackley Hornet and .17 Hornady Hornet have different dimensions. I know this due to owning rifles in each.

They both have just about exactly the same powder capacity, but the Hornady version has a straight-bodied case and wider shoulder that's set back a little from the more tapered AI case. This is why the Hornady Hornet cases won't chamber in your rifle. If you run the Hornady cases through an Ackley sizing die they'll probably work.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 22kHornet
The 17 hornet ammo you have is the hornady version of the improved hornet. It is different from the 17 k hornet case and will not chamber as you have found out. Cases have to be made from 22 hornet cases necked down to 17 cal. then loaded and fire formed in your chamber. There are several versions of the improved 17 hornet so make sure when you order dies to get the 17 k hornet version.

Thanks! I tried researching, but being such an oddball there wasn’t much info at all.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tom in VT,

The .17 Ackley Hornet and .17 Hornady Hornet have different dimensions. I know this due to owning rifles in each.

They both have just about exactly the same powder capacity, but the Hornady version has a straight-bodied case and wider shoulder that's set back a little from the more tapered AI case. This is why the Hornady Hornet cases won't chamber in your rifle. If you run the Hornady cases through an Ackley sizing die they'll probably work.

Thank you! I sent you a pm.

BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Get close and wack em hard!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Tom in VT,

I’m sure they designed this on purpose that way so you couldn’t use the modern ammo in
Old guns. A liability concern

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Tom in VT,

I’m sure they designed this on purpose that way so you couldn’t use the modern ammo in
Old guns. A liability concern

Partly--but another reason was the .17 Ackley is too long for most "standard" .22 Hornet magazines to use plastic-tipped bullets, which provide a MAJOR improvement in down-range performance over typical hollow-point bullets, both in trajectory and expansion.

The Hornady version is enough shorter than using plastic-tips such is easy in the standard-length magazine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,392 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.