Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Zinc phosphide is the most commonly used in this region for Belding's Ground Squirrels. Once eaten, a chemical reaction between the acids in the rodent's stomach and the phosphides create phosphine gas.

Alfalfa growers eliminate thousands here. Treatment involves slinging out untreated cabbage leaves which they relish. About 5 days later, toss out treated cabbage leaves. Essentially 100% kill, and it does not move up the food chain.

Those in the business collect about $5 grand / pivot (120 acres) and growers are happy to pay.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 1minute; 04/05/22.

1Minute

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Higginez
https://www.amazon.com/Wilco-Distri...rrel+trap&qid=1649207764&sr=8-28

Get one of these and sprinkle some nuts etc. in and around it. Put some water in there too so none die and scare off the others.

Jesus Hig you’re taking varmintguys advice and running with it!

Thanks for all the suggestions gentlemen..it’s an urban backyard so I would like to be careful to not take out legions of birds tree squirrels and the occasional skunks and possums that roll thru as well

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're pretty dang effective and you get the joy of drowning the fuggers.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I don’t doubt that… this is the same group that I had screwing me over last year and before that never had them around. So I’m looking to go cheap and not have to store a rabies condo forever after..

Besides I spent all my extra money on primers and 75elds

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Fireball's JRT should be there any second.

She's busy killing bears right now. Stand by.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LIve trap baited with tiny marshmello hanging from the roof of the trap right over the trip pedal.

Other than that shotgun and a door bell motion detector to tell me when they come out in the morning. Run over and stomp their hole shut and eat breakfast waiting for the next ding. They will be digging their hole out and give ONE shot. Be quick.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I’ve killed hundreds of the wire chewing crop stealing bastards with tube traps. It kills them dead and other bigger critters can’t get into them. Bait helps but squirrels naturally go into the tube. https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/WCSTUBE.html

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1minute's suggestion is what I was going to add to the conversation.

Seems to have worked pretty well on my neighbor's pivot.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Certifiable: Shoot them - oh, you are in kalifornicationkopia!
Adopt them and give them free schit.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Lol.

😆😆😆😆

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Dammit dirt don’t egg him on!

She's gone shootin..
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
Zinc phosphide is the most commonly used in this region for Belding's Ground Squirrels. Once eaten, a chemical reaction between the acids in the rodent's stomach and the phosphides create phosphine gas.

Alfalfa growers eliminate thousands here. Treatment involves slinging out untreated cabbage leaves which they relish. About 5 days later, toss out treated cabbage leaves. Essentially 100% kill, and it does not move up the food chain.

Those in the business collect about $5 grand / pivot (120 acres) and growers are happy to pay.

I miss going to Oregon to shoot them little bastards !

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I’ve killed hundreds of the wire chewing crop stealing bastards with tube traps. It kills them dead and other bigger critters can’t get into them. Bait helps but squirrels naturally go into the tube. https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/WCSTUBE.html

That’s interesting thanks Bean

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old school, hose from exhaust to den.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Phostoxin tablets are the easiest.
2 tablets per hole l. You can use 1 but they tend to come up and wander around with emphysema for a while before they expire.
Poison works also. Unless you live in an almond orchard. Bastards like almonds more than the poison bait.

The other option is gassing them. You can get creative with that.....

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use a Hatsan 22 pellet rifle. 15 last week

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mibowhunter
Originally Posted by 1minute

I miss going to Oregon to shoot them little bastards !

5 grand is a fairly good chunk to pay a licensed applicator to poison the fields. And when you have seven or eight pivots, it all adds up. Any idea how long before the field is infested again?

On the other hand, if the grower is certified organic, and sells his hay to Japan, poisoning is out of the question.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Napalm.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
my house is off what use to be a 9 hole golf course...

been here now 4 years this summer... bought the home off a widow, whose husband had been dead for 12 years...and the home was built in 1975.

I've been eliminating them each summer... last summer was the lowest number I have shot with a 17 HMR, since living here... on an acre and a half property....

Keep the empty shell casing in a plastic cup in the garage, for each one I explode.... Crows and hawks take the carcass off real quick, and if not a coyote will scoop them up at night...

Last summer I took out 150 of them...so far this year, two... but the little ones and mom aren't out running around yet...first year I killed over 500 of them...

we have a dry creek bed running thru the property... the banks of that have been eroded dramatically over the years from those ground squirrels... with all the holes, the sides look like Swiss cheese... I've got an entire sage rats subway system around the entire yard....

but this is the house my wife just had to have... " I've always wanted this this and this....a pool she doesn't use, because 'its too cold' but she still had to have it..." wooded with plenty of trees that need a lot of trimming, a sprinkler system that I am constantly having to keep fixing to make it all work...the bedroom of her dreams.. which takes up half the house.....I hate this place... wife just loves it...of course she would... because I'm the only Jig on the plantation... free labor... endlessly...

I love shooting sage rats... but not having to do so on our property....its a sacrifice my wife in willing for me to make...so she has everything she wants in life...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Originally Posted by BeanMan

That’s interesting thanks Bean

I've never seen one of those......sure beats the hell outta sitting & waiting for 'em to come above ground

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Again....I use my 17 M2 to whack 'em when I see them

Whether in a live trap or the classic fence post shot..

Destructive basstards

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1234, 160user, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 17Hunter, 163bc, 73 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,617
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.