Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Pretty impressed with the E bike on gravel and sand. Knik river today going to throw it in the inflatable jet boat and ride the river gravel bars while water is low. Instagram video link.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb6KeOlJoEw/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I hunted some National Forest land that had been leased for natural gas drilling. There are a couple of main roads that all vehicles can drive and many smaller spur roads that are gated. The spur roads go to individual gas sites and only gas company employees/vehicles can open the gates. But you can walk around the gates or drive around them with a bicycle. We did most of our movements on the spur roads using e-bike, which we rented for the week. My buddy had a little trailer hooked onto one of the bikes and with that and one other bike, we could haul out a full elk in one trip. We had a generator at base camp and would recharge them every night.

This was a special situation that the e-bikes are well suited for. But they are awfully heavy and a lot of work if there is any kind of uphill terrain. They still need some development before I buy one.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been keeping an eye on these for a while. Impressed with a fat tire scooter that I found made or distributed out of the Phoenix area - name alludes me know. Be interesting to see if the bill in congress that gives a tax credit for e-bike purchases gets any traction or moves ahead.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KC

I hunted some National Forest land that had been leased for natural gas drilling. There are a couple of main roads that all vehicles can drive and many smaller spur roads that are gated. The spur roads go to individual gas sites and only gas company employees/vehicles can open the gates. But you can walk around the gates or drive around them with a bicycle. We did most of our movements on the spur roads using e-bike, which we rented for the week. My buddy had a little trailer hooked onto one of the bikes and with that and one other bike, we could haul out a full elk in one trip. We had a generator at base camp and would recharge them every night.

This was a special situation that the e-bikes are well suited for. But they are awfully heavy and a lot of work if there is any kind of uphill terrain. They still need some development before I buy one.

You know they put up a gate for a reason.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JackRyan
Originally Posted by KC

What is that reason? Are the lands behind it posted? Any signage that foot traffic and bicycle traffic aren't allowed?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KC

I'm not sure what you mean by "a lot of work if there is any kind of uphill terrain".
I have a 850 watt fat tire e-bike that I can load up the racks and pull a trailer with a kayak on it. If it's a big rough hill I just get off and walk along side of it using the motor to pull me and the load along.
I bought two extra batterys for it so I don't have to worry about charging it.
Fat tire E-bikes are a godsend for us older guys.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by KC

What is that reason? Are the lands behind it posted? Any signage that foot traffic and bicycle traffic aren't allowed?

To try to keep citizens off their public land.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I looked at them a couple of years ago at the big Tulsa Gun Show. A dealer was set up selling them there.
They would be great for National Forest lands or BLM hunting areas where only bicycles and horses are allowed.
But the price was almost as much as a ATV 4-Wheeler. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some areas allow hike in and horse traffic, but no motorized vehicles.

LOL
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by chlinstructor
They would be great for National Forest lands or BLM hunting areas where only bicycles and horses are allowed.

I'm not sure that kind of land actually exists, at least in Colorado. There are BLM lands where all vehicles are legal just about everywhere. There are National Forest lands where vehicles are limited to designated roads and where bicycles/motorcycles are limited to designated multi-use trails. In designated wilderness areas on National Forest lands, nothing with a motor or wheel is allowed. That's where you are most likely to see hunters using horses. But bicycles are not allowed.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC

The gates were not posted. They just put up the gates to prevent people from using and abusing the roads that the gas company built. The roads can get pretty muddy at times and they want to limit traffic to prevent rutting at those times. There was a gas company employee patrolling the area and we talked to him several times. Nice guy. But he didn't see any elk.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KC

Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I'm not sure that kind of land actually exists, at least in Colorado. There are BLM lands where all vehicles are legal just about everywhere. There are National Forest lands where vehicles are limited to designated roads and where bicycles/motorcycles are limited to designated multi-use trails. In designated wilderness areas on National Forest lands, nothing with a motor or wheel is allowed. That's where you are most likely to see hunters using horses. But bicycles are not allowed.

There are some well known areas here in AK which are non-motorized for hunting but open to bicycle. Electrics are verboten.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1Akshooter, 1936M71, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 61 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,807
Posts18,496,383
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.