Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Was watching a guy on YouTube that was doing a gel block test on Remington Corelock ammo. I forget the chambering, but he really did not have good things to say. He felt that under 2200 fps the bullet was questionable whether it would open. I commented that I recently shot a deer with a Interlock that had impact velocity right at 2200 fps, and it performed beautifully. He replied that it likely hit a rib on entrance, and had it not done so it likely would have had minimal expansion and performed poorly. Really??? I think he is one of these guys that spouts off a bunch of "information" and if you disagree with him you are wrong. I really tried giving his channel a chance, but the first video I saw was him going on a rant about Hammer bullets and how they were mis-representing their products. That was fun to watch the comments! (oddly the comments are now turned off??!!!) Anyway, I really wonder how much this guy really hunts? Any real world experience??? Kind of gets me when know-it-alls dismiss experience that does not fit their narrative or that disagrees with their own observations. Personally I want to take that same Interlock bullet and shoot a deer with impact velocity 1800-2000 fps and see how it does!!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
If this is the same person that I saw talking BS about Hammer bullets, then he is a complete idiot

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Checking out the videos I am wondering what is supposed to be wrong with the Hammer bullets.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 04/04/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it's on the internet it must be true.

LOL
J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

If this is the same person that saw talking BS about Hammer bullets, then he is a complete idiot

Yup, same guy!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
IC B2

J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I really tried to give him a chance, I appreciate guys who take the time to test various bullets/terminal performance stuff. But with the anti-Hammer rant and the comment on my experience I will not be checking out any more of his videos. I am sure he doesn't care, but a bit more openness and willingness to listen to the experience of others would go a long ways in making him less of a know it all, and might gain him at least 1 subscriber!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

From my experience on game with Hammer bullets they are absolutely devastating.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sometimes it is fun to stand at a gun counter and listen, BS flows both ways for sure....

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
~2000 fps is where cup and core bullets work best. IMO

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Varmint bullets work just as well at 2000 fps on deer. (Speer 30 cal 130 grn HP)

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pullit
Sometimes it is fun to stand at a gun counter and listen, BS flows both ways for sure....

definitely finer entertainment can be found no where else... maybe the left is right about any nerd can walk into a gun shop and purchase a gun and ammo.
some of these idiots stand a bigger chance of killing themselves, than killing a game animal....

as a person who has worked with Boy Scouts for a couple of decades as a shooting instructor, I have worked a lot with kids who inherit their first rifle at 12 or 14, when grandpa either passes away or can't hunt any more due to age, so he passes on his 30/06, 308, 270 etc to his grand son...

then dad gets all pissed off the rifle knocks the snot out of the kid and he gets afraid of it..

so I will let them come over and load some of their own ammo to use.... with their parents permission... usually dad comes along because he wants to see reloading done..

I use proven cast bullet loads with regular bullets... just pick one that will open up... velocity is usually in the 2250 fps to 2400 fps range at the Muzzle..

the kids are so proud to load their own bullets... and then they shoot them and they kick a lot less, and they become real happy campers..

it is not that unoften that I will later get a call and its dad asking me would I let his son load up some more ammo...

I always supply the components for that... a short conversation with dad, we find out the reduced loads aren't for the kid... Dad liked them so much, with the less recoil and he can shoot them more accurately.. he wants some for himself... that happens a lot more than you'd suspect over the years...

basically 30/30 speeds to 300 Savage speeds... 30 grains of 4198....works in a lot of cartridges and are more than capable of taking a deer easily.. and makes shot placement much easier for the kids...even say a 85 or 90 grain bullet out of a 243.... Ballistic tip is a favorite of mine...recoils less than a 22.250...

deadly on a deer at 200 yds and under... even further if you know what you are doing...

or 30 grains of 4198, in an 06 with a 110 to 150 grain SP bullet.. the 30/30's Flat Nose 150s are great for this application..

reduces typical recoil 30 to 50%.... and still does the job...

in Oregon here.. one doesn't need a 700 yd elk load to take down a 100 pound Blacktail at 75 to 100 yds...

same thing for anything back east either... I'm an east coast guy living out this way.. a Virginia Native... it works just as well back east also...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jevyod
I really tried to give him a chance, I appreciate guys who take the time to test various bullets/terminal performance stuff. But with the anti-Hammer rant and the comment on my experience I will not be checking out any more of his videos. I am sure he doesn't care, but a bit more openness and willingness to listen to the experience of others would go a long ways in making him less of a know it all, and might gain him at least 1 subscriber!

Anyone with enough brain cells to create a YouTube channel is an instant subject matter expert. Just ask them. They have a channel, and you do not. Remember they can delete the negative ratings and every comment improves their "score" so they invite controversy.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You don't have to know EVERYTHING to be considered a "know it all" on the internet. You only need to know A LOT about ONE THING and keep your mouth shut the rest of the time.

I figure most of the people running their yap constantly about everything probably don't know much about anything and are still hoping to hit on their ONE thing.

Last edited by JackRyan; 04/06/22.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You said that you saw it on You Tube - are you sure it wasn't here on the 'fire?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by pullit

What’s really funny is when my wife accompanies me around the gun shop. She’s not as focused on the guns and components as I am so sometimes she’ll hear stuff I don’t hear. Of course on occasion there’s some idiot spouting his 💩 loud enough for everyone within earshot to hear it.

When we get back in the car she asks, “did you hear that idiot talking about ———-?” 😊 She’s not a real gun person but she’s been around me for 50 years so she recognizes gun shop 🐂💩 when she hears it.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Way more turds flying in any gun shop, than treasures!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Lots of BS in gun shops, can’t take much of it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Lots of BS in gun shops, can’t take much of it!

From both owner and some customers. Many owners are there to sell only no advice from them is recommended.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Was watching a guy on YouTube that was doing a gel block test on Remington Corelock ammo. I forget the chambering, but he really did not have good things to say. He felt that under 2200 fps the bullet was questionable whether it would open. I commented that I recently shot a deer with a Interlock that had impact velocity right at 2200 fps, and it performed beautifully. He replied that it likely hit a rib on entrance, and had it not done so it likely would have had minimal expansion and performed poorly. Really??? I think he is one of these guys that spouts off a bunch of "information" and if you disagree with him you are wrong. I really tried giving his channel a chance, but the first video I saw was him going on a rant about Hammer bullets and how they were mis-representing their products. That was fun to watch the comments! (oddly the comments are now turned off??!!!) Anyway, I really wonder how much this guy really hunts? Any real world experience??? Kind of gets me when know-it-alls dismiss experience that does not fit their narrative or that disagrees with their own observations. Personally I want to take that same Interlock bullet and shoot a deer with impact velocity 1800-2000 fps and see how it does!!

Sounds to me like you missed a good chance to tell that expert that if that's all he knows about it he should shut the f*ck up. When we listen to bs and out and out misinformation without correcting the bs'er we are as guilty of it as they are. So why the are you bitching to the fire and not the guy issuing the bs.??? Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Sounds to me like you missed a good chance to tell that expert that if that's all he knows about it he should shut the f*ck up. When we listen to bs and out and out misinformation without correcting the bs'er we are as guilty of it as they are. So why the are you bitching to the fire and not the guy issuing the bs.??? Mb

Well I did challenge him, but sometimes hold to the line that "You can't fix stupid" I am not one to get in a pissing/name calling match with someone I don't know. I asked a question hoping he would consider, and moved on. It is not my responsibility to educate all who I feel have wrong views.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (1_deuce, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 26 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.