J
strange Kauger on their website does not have any rifle weight information

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
After doing a quick search on brass. The .284 Win has my attention! I assume I’d have to go long action to make use of heavies?

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
After doing a quick search on brass. The .284 Win has my attention! I assume I’d have to go long action to make use of heavies?

No flies on the .284 except for feeding (which I don't hear much about these days).

What are the plans for the rifle? General hunter at modest ranges or long range outfit?
Do have a specific bullet in mind?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I want a versatile hunting rifle for eastern whitetail and black bear and western deer and elk, that in the future I could try to shoot a match with. I’m not super serious about it being light for that reason, but I also don’t want a 8-9 lb rifle. And shooting a match is just to challenge myself. Not really to compete. I need to stop watching Erik Cortina videos before I start down a rabbit hole. It’s a hunting rig first.

Last edited by Model70Fan; 04/06/22.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SKane

No flies on the .284 except for feeding (which I don't hear much about these days).

What are the plans for the rifle? General hunter at modest ranges or long range outfit?
Do have a specific bullet in mind?

If I went .284 Win I wouldn’t shot anything lighter than 162s

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Why not a 280 Ackley?

I would step up the stock to the Alpine Hunter stock. The APR Hunter stock comb is too low for me, and I see several here have added cheek risers to their Maverick rifles.

I had no issues with the AG Composites Alpine Hunter stock and cheek weld. I love this rifle and their rifles do shoot, but I would definitely choose a different shop for the next one.

Cold bore was also on a clean bore.

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Defiance makes an intermediate length action, the XM, which has a box of about 3.2”. Ideal for 284 which should have a longer throat. Lots of 6.5-284’s built on that action.
The other great choice is the Tikka T3x. The clip center feed system is ideal for 284. As you know there is a good selection of premium brass available due to popularity in F Class rifles.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RinB

Defiance makes an intermediate length action, the XM, which has a box of about 3.2”. Ideal for 284 which should have a longer throat. Lots of 6.5-284’s built on that action.
The other great choice is the Tikka T3x. The clip center feed system is ideal for 284. As you know there is a good selection of premium brass available due to popularity in F Class rifles.

So the mag box on the APR should be around 3.2? I can ask to be sure. That sounds great if it is!

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Darryle
Why not a 280 Ackley?

I would step up the stock to the Alpine Hunter stock. The APR Hunter stock comb is too low for me, and I see several here have added cheek risers to their Maverick rifles.

I had no issues with the AG Composites Alpine Hunter stock and cheek weld. I love this rifle and their rifles do shoot, but I would definitely choose a different shop for the next one.

Cold bore was also on a clean bore.

I wish I had more experience with that style of stock. Are you able to handle it well in standing, kneeling situations? A bad cheek weld is something that makes me lose sleep cause it(to me) is essential in shooting.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
My only experience with vertical style grips were M16A4s and the M27IAR but you are wrapping your hand around the grip on those and manipulating the selector is different than a typical safety.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A 20” 7mm-08 sounds good, as mentioned above.

Unless someone comes up with a 7prc. 😂🤣😂

Christensen arms is offering a 20” 7-08 in their new FFT rifles.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My only experience with vertical style grips were M16A4s and the M27IAR but you are wrapping your hand around the grip on those and manipulating the selector is different than a typical safety.

I never thought about one until I bought a McWhorter with an A3 style stock. Now, I don't think I could own anything but that style of grip. Extremely comfortable standing, prone, kneeling or at the bench. It was very easy to adapt from the more traditional open grip.

If you are going to have them build your rifle, spend the additional $700 and get the Altitude, less than 9lbs complete with the 26" barrel versus 9 1/2lbs complete with a 24" barrel of the Maverick. Translate that into a significant weight savings especially with the shorter barrel you are wanting.

The comb on the Maverick package is just to low for me when combined with the straight bolt handle on the Defiance Tenacity action. You can go even lower with rings, but you can not cycle the bolt.

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Those bolt handles seem to be pretty common amongst these custom actions. I’ll ask the the guys at Alamo if they can do something about that. The APR hunter action looks like the handle was designed for better bolt throw clearance. If it costs 700 to upgrade the stock then idk about that. Shouldn’t be much of an up charge if any since I’m sticking with the fluted barrel. And it should be around 7-7 1/2 lbs

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I originally had the short knob on the bighorn origin.

Didn’t like it.

Wanted a longer one from bighorn. But they wanted like $15 bucks to ship it.

Ended up ordered on from the Polished Knob.

Guy does good work. He’ll make the length and size you want.

IIRC, $35 shipped.

A longer Skeleton bolt he made me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
How’s the clearance?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Plenty of room.

Zeiss v4. 4-14x44.

Seekins low (i think , can’t find the box ) rings.

Dave

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Those bolt handles seem to be pretty common amongst these custom actions. I’ll ask the the guys at Alamo if they can do something about that. The APR hunter action looks like the handle was designed for better bolt throw clearance. If it costs 700 to upgrade the stock then idk about that. Shouldn’t be much of an up charge if any since I’m sticking with the fluted barrel. And it should be around 7-7 1/2 lbs

You are also getting a few other items, like a carbon barrel with the Altitude

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I want the steel barrel. Nothing against carbon though.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I went with the Maverick package,only thing I changed was the anTi action and I used a Vias brake. All up with seekin’s low and Vortex LHT 8.6 lbs.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
How much extra for the AnTi action?
Originally Posted by Aviator
I went with the Maverick package,only thing I changed was the anTi action and I used a Vias brake. All up with seekin’s low and Vortex LHT 8.6 lbs.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,186 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,127
Posts18,483,847
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.