Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Joe Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm considering putting a Scout scope on my BLR T/D. My shots are in the thickets and I don't have much time to decide on whether I want to take the shot or not. I have never hunted with that type of scope and would like any information, pro or con. Thanks

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
there is a 'pro'?......

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Scout scopes suck, I don’t care what Jeff Cooper thought. If you need “fast”, put a red dot on it, or get a small variable power scope (normal eye relief), that goes down to a true 1x.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like Huntsman 22, I have a tough time finding a true pro for a scout scope set up. I read a lot of Jeff Cooper's dissertations on the subject, but I don't personally see the utility in it. Perhaps it's a decent idea if you're constrained to use a bolt action that has a tendency to eject up into the scope, thereby causing feeding troubles at inopportune tines; however, that's not a concern with the solid toped BLR, or with most bolt actions.

The foremost issue I have with scout scopes is limited FOV in comparison to low power variable scopes, which is big concession to give up on a rig that's purported to be for fast shots at moving game in heavy cover. I have 1.5-5 Leupolds on my BLR's. They're a good fit. Very large FOV, non critical eyebox, can crank them to 5 for longer shots and to take a better look at game.

If I were scoping a TD model, I'd either go with the cantelever mount, or go right to the action top with an LPVO. I know you'll give up some precision by doing so, but for your intended use, it's not likely to adversely affect any outcomes on game.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have no use for scout-mounted scopes. I'd rather use a ghost ring or low-power conventional scope.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Draw backs are with the sight mounted away from your eye and if you have your back to the sun, light can glare off the lens making for a difficult if not impossible shot. Additionally the low power optic makes it hard to define your target if it is in a thicket, especially if you are trying to slip a bullet through some saplings, etc. Lastly they aren't very good at light gathering in the dusk and dawn when game are generally moving.
That said. I have an original scout type rifle, I inherited it from my dad, it's a 60's era Rem 600 with early Redfield 3/4" 2x IER scope and mount. My dad bought it setup that way in the early 70's and used it for still hunting river bottomland deer.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Scout scopes are great on handguns, especially T/C Contenders and XP100s....never cared for them on any rifle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A red dot in a scout scope position out ahead of the action is pretty neat.

As far as magnification, I have not seen the benefit, unless the configuration of the gun precluded a cheek weld/scope mounted in the traditional position.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried one, a Burris 2.75, on a hard-to-scope inline ML. While it solved the mounting problem and was okay at the range, I found it hard to see stuff through in the woods, and not fast at all. The only “pro” I can see for them is that they permit the use of charging clips on bolt actions so-equipped. With detachable magazines widely available for many bolt guns, that’s not much of an advantage. A LPVO (I think that’s the right acronym) is IMO the best solution for fast aiming, with more Xs on tap for longer shots, and many with illumination to boot for the situations where it's helpful. I have two, a SWFA 1-4 and a Trijicon Credo HX 1-6. The view at 1x is similar to a red dot, but without the restricted framing.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used one on my Ithaca 37 slug barrel as an alternative to drilling or a saddle mount. I never took a running shot with it and it worked well for my purpose.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Scout scopes suck, I don’t care what Jeff Cooper thought....

As he bursts into flame. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Scout scopes suck, I don’t care what Jeff Cooper thought. If you need “fast”, put a red dot on it, or get a small variable power scope (normal eye relief), that goes down to a true 1x.

I concur

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I put one on my Ruger. I haven’t shot it yet though. It is a Burris 2.75.

C
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Modern LPVOs and AICS mags have made the concept of the scout scope as obsolete as the Ford Model T.

Last edited by ccd; 04/07/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have one on a 45-70 Guide gun, and I like it as a dark timber elk rifle.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
No need for hammer spurs etc.

1Minute
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a so-called pseudo scout 1903 Springfield in 30.06 I had Dennis Olson do the machining for it over 28 years ago using a LIlja barrel and put a Brown Precision stock on it. It has been my main hunting rifle for all but three of those years. I have shot deer and elk with it from ranges of 10 yrds to 240 yrds. From early morning, mid day to just a few minutes before legal hours closed and only in the last minutes in thick timber have I had issues with the small dia. low power scout scope. I've shot steel out to 300 yrds + from prone and was able to print groups inside of five inches, the gun is capable of better. It carries better, easier to load and handles better while shooting than any traditional setups I've used except for iron sighted rifles of similar dimensions and even then it may be a tossup.

I haven't found it to be the problem child that so many accuse it of being, maybe because they haven't actually spent time shooting the system. I guess one just has to have an open mind and actually commit to practicing with it like any other firearm to become proficient with it.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ccd
Modern LPVOs and AICS mags have made the concept of the scout scope as obsolete as the Ford Model T.

Misplace your mags, and you have a slow loading single shot.
Stripper clips can be loaded faster than swapping mags.
You don't have the load capacity of some mags( 10 rds.) but for what the concept was designed for you don't need high continuity fire.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BUTTCO,

Your MAGNIFICENT Fhuqking Stupidity is fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I enjoy that you "wield" Retardation and Dumbfhuqktitude like they were "advantages"! Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

The only fhuqking things you "shoot" are your mouth and fhuqking Imagination. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
BUTTCO,

Your MAGNIFICENT Fhuqking Stupidity is fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I enjoy that you "wield" Retardation and Dumbfhuqktitude like they were "advantages"! Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

The only fhuqking things you "shoot" are your mouth and fhuqking Imagination. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

AARRRrr!

The troll from the Dark and Wet hath spoken.... this thread is now complete!

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jason280
Scout scopes are great on handguns, especially T/C Contenders and XP100s....never cared for them on any rifle.

Never found a scout scope to work well on any handgun.........any !!!!!!!!!

Only scout scope that has been useful for me is on my SPR94 where a 9" eye relief is the only option

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 64 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,437
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.