Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
What say you?

Last edited by Huntz; 04/07/22.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

BS, they are spin stabilized not laser guided

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a parallax issue to me.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My take, based on my limited knowledge of the various sciences, is that they should be at the most stable they are going to be upon leaving the muzzle (at their highest speed). I would think that any spinning projectile, moving forward, would only tend to become less stable as it decelerates. I will await someone more knowledgable than myself to see if my pseudo-educated guess is correct.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell if I know…but this is an interesting discussion.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The stability factor actually does increase at range. The angular velocity of the projectile decreases more slowly than the linear velocity, so the aerodynamic forces on the bullet decrease faster than the gyroscopic stabilization.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Read up on bullet coning motion. Supposed to be its greatest at the muzzle. Settles out down range. Several good research articles on it, even Sierra admits it’s possible.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
My take, based on my limited knowledge of the various sciences, is that they should be at the most stable they are going to be upon leaving the muzzle (at their highest speed). I would think that any spinning projectile, moving forward, would only tend to become less stable as it decelerates. I will await someone more knowledgable than myself to see if my pseudo-educated guess is correct.

Originally Posted by mathman
The stability factor actually does increase at range. The angular velocity of the projectile decreases more slowly than the linear velocity, so the aerodynamic forces on the bullet decrease faster than the gyroscopic stabilization.

Originally Posted by Swifty52
Read up on bullet coning motion. Supposed to be its greatest at the muzzle. Settles out down range. Several good research articles on it, even Sierra admits it’s possible.

And there you have it, just that for which I was waiting. You (I) learn something new every day. Very interesting.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 04/07/22.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The aerodynamic forces acting on the nose are what tend to destabilize a bullet in flight so anything that reduces those forces helps the bullet maintain its nose-on flight. As mentioned above, slowing down makes it more stable because the spin rate decays at a much slower rate then the velocity. Climbing in altitude with less dense air helps as well. Mule Deer has addressed this pretty well a few times.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Swifty52 has it right.

Aerodynamic forces make the bullet spiral very slightly, out to about 200 yards.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by denton
Swifty52 has it right.

Aerodynamic forces make the bullet spiral very slightly, out to about 200 yards.

Interesting. Makes me wonder if little vortex generators on the plastic tips of some bullets would smooth out the air flow over the bullet?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Originally Posted by mathman

Originally Posted by Swifty52

And there you have it, just that for which I was waiting. You (I) learn something new every day. Very interesting.

I didn’t read all the comments but I’m of the opinion that the bullet rotates around its center of mass going down the barrel and a slight yaw maybe induced from the chamber to engaging the rifling. After leaving the barrel I believe that it takes a little while for it to start rotating around its center of gravity and have found that bullets from good barrels and a good load that’s been worked up tend to shoot better at distance when measuring group size

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
That is showing degrees of yaw or where the nose of the bullet is pointing, not the flight path of the bullet. The diagram on the right is showing where the bullet actually went. It started diverging as soon as it left the muzzle and continued to do so. Once the deflection starts, it won’t get any better. There is nothing acting on the bullet to make it “go that way to hit the target”.

Last edited by navlav8r; 04/07/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by navlav8r
That is showing degrees of yaw or where the nose of the bullet is pointing, not the flight path of the bullet. The diagram on the right is showing where the bullet actually went. It started diverging as soon as it left the muzzle and continued to do so. Once the deflection starts, it won’t get any better. There is nothing acting on the bullet to make it “go that way to hit the target”.

👌
The video is the answer the first part of the question. And you correctly answered the second part. Bryan did a lot of experiments using shoot through targets to prove that group size doesn't shrink with distance.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have wondered this some too i have noticed this just a little with my 257 Weatherby mag. with 100 gr. bullets at 3800 FPS. that at 100 yds. bullets seem to be very slightly key holed and at 150 yds. and beyond these bullets seem somewhat perfect bullet holes. is this possible ? would different barrel twist either faster or slower make a difference ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I recently published an article on flat-base versus boattails:

1) Boat-tailed bullets do tend to destabilize more when leaving the muzzle than flat-based bullets, due to more powder gas blowing by the angular base during muzzle exit. This is why short-range benchrest bullets are flat-based, or have very slight boattails.

2) But te reason higher-BC bullets tend to group better at longer ranges is not primarily because they take longer to "stabilize," but because they drift less in wind.

3) Most shooters (especially hunters) don't get this: Instead they assume groups are relatively larger at ranges beyond 100-200 yards because bullets are becoming "destabilized" as they slow down.

4) This is actually the opposite of what happens, because bullets in flight are affected by two different forces: air pressure on the front end, which tends to destabilize bullets, and gyroscopic stability from the rifling twist. Velocity slows much faster than bullet spin, so bullets fired from a sufficient rifling twist become MORE stable at longer ranges, due to lower pressure on the nose--at least until they drop to around the speed of sound, which doesn't happen with typical hunting bullets.

5) Wind-drift increases at about twice the rate of range: A bullet that drifts half an inch at 100 yards in a 3-mph wind will drift around 2 inches at 200 yards in the same wind--and 8 inches at 400 yards

So yes, boattails can be less accurate at shorter ranges, but become more accurate at longer ranges due to less wind-drift. And most hunters have no clue how much even a 3-mph breeze (often consider "calm air") can drift a bullet even at 100 yards. Since wind is rarely absolutely steady, groups "open" up at longer ranges, unless the shooter can compensate accurately.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MD nailed it. There’s also - changing from above the speed of sound to below the speed of sound - note that 22 LR target ammo starts at below the speed of sound.
If I knew the reason for this, I forgot.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My head hurts taking all this in...how about an amusing anecdote for those of us in Rio Linda? Some years back when the Commonwealth countries were still using .303's in competition, it was common knowledge that the Mk7 .303 174 gr ball round was barely capable of holding 2,5 moa at 100 or 200 yards. But, it got better at 300 and , Katy bar the door at 600, theory was the damn thing straightened up and flew right. Embarrassing several competing countries, including us Yanks.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
My head hurts taking all this in...how about an amusing anecdote for those of us in Rio Linda? Some years back when the Commonwealth countries were still using .303's in competition, it was common knowledge that the Mk7 .303 174 gr ball round was barely capable of holding 2,5 moa at 100 or 200 yards. But, it got better at 300 and , Katy bar the door at 600, theory was the damn thing straightened up and flew right. Embarrassing several competing countries, including us Yanks.

The groups didn’t get smaller but the MOA did, right?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (160user, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,425
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.