-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Been wanting one for a long time and just took delivery of mine yesterday. I know a couple of the members here own one (EdM and DirtFarmer come to mind). Just a few observations from an avid single action fan that has owned several Bowen's and a few Linebaugh made customs as well as several FA revolvers.

This TLA, SN K53X, is as tight or tighter than any custom I've owned. Lockup is amazing. Hammer feel (4 click like the old model Rugers) and trigger pull is amazing. Bluing is beautiful. The grip frame is cast and milled. The frame on some of the later models, as I understand is cast by the same company that casts for Ruger. Not sure if mine is cast or one of the earlier milled from barstock. I understand Grover only made around 1,000 revolvers, including the #5. So mine is about halfway through production.

The #5 style base pin works like a swiss clock. There's really nothing that could be improved on except maybe case coloring and fancy grips. I will put a coat of spar urethane on these grips soon, as all the original finish seems to have worn off.

All in all, Grover was a genius that hooked up with a good machinist and put together a great plan and executed it perfectly, at least with the revolvers he was able to produce. Even the front sight is milled and obviously was filed and regulated before it left the shop.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 257heaven; 04/08/22.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
That’s a nice specimen. What year?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had this one, .45 Colt with factory .45 Mag cylinder. Holster is the style Mr. Grover designed.

The sear was too soft, had a hair trigger when I got it used. I sent it to Dave Clements to recut and harden the sear, Reportedly Mr. Grover's metal hardening was sometimes hit or miss.

He made great guns. A collector talked me out of this one, wanted it a worse than I did, made me a deal I couldn't refuse.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
That’s a nice specimen. What year?

Not sure. I think production started in 1984 and Grover passed in 2004. So somewhere in that 20-year frame. Somebody was researching and writing a book, but The link is dead now and I’m not sure if it was ever published or not.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I had this one, .45 Colt with factory .45 Mag cylinder. Holster is the style Mr. Grover designed.

The sear was too soft, had a hair trigger when I got it used. I sent it to Dave Clements to recut and harden the sear, Reportedly Mr. Grover's metal hardening was sometimes hit or miss.

He made great guns. A collector talked me out of this one, wanted it a worse than I did, made me a deal I couldn't refuse.

DF

Aww. I read your old post about that revolver. Yea. I hear that Alan Harton will go through these guns and harden parts as needed. I think Clements is basically retired now and not taking any work. This one will get shot some. I have other 44 Mags that I can shoot if shooting a lot.

Last edited by 257heaven; 04/07/22.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Aww. I read your old post about that revolver. Yea. I hear that Alan Harton will go through these guns and harden parts as needed. I think Clements is basically retired now and not taking any work. This one will get shot some. I have other 44 Mags that I can shoot if shooting a lot.

Yeah, I heard about Dave retiring.

Hardening seemed Mr. Grover’s Achilles heel. But he got the rest of it down pretty well.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I bought mine directly from Bill after a tour of his shop and a long chat in his office about his future plans, this was in 1993. He showed me stainless frames, flip up multi-blade "express" rear sights and, IIRC, some sort of rifle he was working on. My gun retailed for $980 then and that is what I paid. My serial number is my date of birth and the backstrap of the grip frame is engraved with "Made for MY NAME by Bill Grover, Inventor". Per the OP it is beautifully made, very accurate and accompanied me on a couple of Colorado elk hunts.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Beautiful. Who did the engraving? Grips?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I am not sure as this had belonged to my uncle. Grips are mammoth to best of my knowledge. The engraving is similar to one in Taffins book on revolver’s, only more coverage. I do remember my uncle sending it back in, I believe for hardening. Its chambered in 45

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 338reddog

I am not sure as this had belonged to my uncle. Grips are mammoth to best of my knowledge. The engraving is similar to one in Taffins book on revolver’s, only more coverage. I do remember my uncle sending it back in, I believe for hardening. Its chambered in 45

That's one of the nicest I've seen.

DF

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
How's the Chattanooga whiskey?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jon_In_Va
How's the Chattanooga whiskey?

It’s a steal for $29/bottle. I bought 5. One is almost gone. It’s very good.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, bosshoff, 12 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.