Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
If you were buying factory ammo for the purpose of range plinking and collecting the brass to reload is what brand do you prefer

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In these times, probably whatever you can buy.. I'm not really all particular about any certain brand of brass being all that much better than another.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I ask because I recently bought a 30-06 and the LGS had federal Norma and Remington all for a similar price

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Evansj24
I ask because I recently bought a 30-06 and the LGS had federal Norma and Remington all for a similar price

I've used all three. Some will tell you that Norma is better. I haven't really seen that it is

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Similar price, Norma. Federal is hit and miss but usually good. New Remington fodder is still suspect in quality.

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd go the Norma if all around the same price. Norma is good brass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Similar price, Norma. Federal is hit and miss but usually good. New Remington fodder is still suspect in quality.

As goes Federal quality, so goes new Remington, doesn't it?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

So, sounds like a hunting rifle...mebbe shooting 300 yards max at a 10" target?

Buy whatever...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Puddle

Buy whatever...

I mean your not wrong but it kind of takes all the fun out of it when you say it like that. It still fun to tinker with your load and try to shoot tiny little groups

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Puddle

Buy whatever...

I mean your not wrong but it kind of takes all the fun out of it when you say it like that. It still fun to tinker with your load and try to shoot tiny little groups

Some say Norma brass is soft, but I've had pretty good luck with it in my 300wby and 308 Norma magnum and 30-06. Their quality is probably better than most manufactures these days. Or at least the ones you mention. If I am going to buy loaded ammo for its brass, sometimes I chose Hornady or even sellior and bellot, but that doesn't happen too often. I have done it for my 6.5 creedmoors and 22-250's and it works great.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I pick up a lot of brass left behind at the range, and I do a lot of testing on it for precision. I shoot Lapua when I can get it and am very impressed with its precision. Of all the non-booteek scavenged brass I have measured, the most precise has been Hornady. Now, not all Hornady lots show this level of precision, but I have found both 30-06 and .270 that somebody shot up three boxes of and left for dead. Those cases measured out at no more than .0005" variance in neck wall thickness, which is as good as any of my Lapua. Of all the measurable things about a case, neck wall variation is probably the most important to accuracy. Again, not all Hornady I've measured is that precise, but these lots were. The only Hornady I have consistently shot is in my 270 WSM and it is holding up about as well as Lapua too.
Of the brands you listed I would get the Norma, if costs were the same.

Good luck with your search,
Rex

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

If it's all similar price, then the Norma is not made in Sweden. Probably East Europe or the US, so the brass may not be any better than the other two choices.

Also, it's easy to find more Federal or Rem brass, to add to your stockpile. Not as easy with Norma.

But Norma does have a great reputation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plumbum

If it's all similar price, then the Norma is not made in Sweden. Probably East Europe or the US, so the brass may not be any better than the other two choices.

Also, it's easy to find more Federal or Rem brass, to add to your stockpile. Not as easy with Norma.

But Norma does have a great reputation.

Not true, Norma USA is the direct supplier/distributor of Norma products from Sweden. No longer a middle man importer/distributor who jacks the price.

Last edited by Swifty52; 04/11/22.

Swifty
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Well my Norma USA 5.56 ammo was not made in Sweden. So that at least is true.

"Today, in Savannah, Georgia, Norma USA carries that tradition on, supported by global manufacturing and a supply chain able to meet the growing demands of our American market – and the wide range of shooting disciplines that come with it."

Last edited by plumbum; 04/11/22.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I try to stay away from newer Remington stuff, I've had a lot of extremely loose primer pockets with it in 250 Savage, 300 Savage, and 308 Win.

Other than that, I'm not too picky on once fired brass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://gov.georgia.gov/press-relea...ammunition-relocates-its-us-headquarters

In 2021, Norma Precision Ammunition imported over 400 containers of ammunition from RUAG Ammotec factories in Europe, while also delivering over 30 million cartridges of ammunition made in the U.S.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go Norma.

1Minute
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Swifty52
https://gov.georgia.gov/press-relea...ammunition-relocates-its-us-headquarters

In 2021, Norma Precision Ammunition imported over 400 containers of ammunition from RUAG Ammotec factories in Europe, while also delivering over 30 million cartridges of ammunition made in the U.S.

Sure, but from where in Europe?

The expensive Norma is made in Sweden, and top quality. The competitively proced stuff is likely not made in Sweden.

If there is Swedish-made Norma ammo in -06 or 308 or 5.56 or others, competitively priced with Fed and Rem, I would buy a lot of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn, Norma isn’t a fugging Swedish company anymore. It’s owned by RUAG Ammotek. Which is now owned by fugging Beretta. Either way it’s made in some of the same fugging countries as Lapoopoo. So go argue your sh*t somewhere else.

RUAG has outstanding technological capabilities on the ground, in the air and in space. Today about 8,000 committed and skilled staff at the production locations in Switzerland, Germany, Sweden, France, Austria, Hungary, Australia and the USA are driving forward the technologies of tomorrow.

Beretta Holding is pleased to announce that it has signed a binding agreement to acquire 100% of RUAG Ammotec – the leading European provider for small caliber ammunition manufacturing and distribution, owner of prestigious brands such as RWS, Norma, Rottweil, Geco. Pietro Gussalli Beretta, President and CEO of Beretta Holding, stated: “This is a very special moment in the history of our Group. We warmly welcome the more than 2,700 employees of RUAG Ammotec to our Group having worked almost three years on this project”. During this time, we have clearly recognized that RUAG Ammotec is a very good cultural fit with our group and a strong, competent, and experienced management is in place. This will tremendously help to integrate RUAG Ammotec into our group

Swifty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (21, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 808outdoors, 1Longbow, 7 invisible), 14,466 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,108
Posts18,541,926
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.