-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Great thread. I’ve never been there but the UP has always intrigued me along with other “big woods” states.

I’ve pretty much been a plains and mountain hunter but the tracking of whitetails in snow, which I’ve never done, is also very interesting to me.

You can surely see on MAPS that the UP is pretty empty; that is, regarding people. It’s always interesting to me to imagine what an area was like in the very early years of this nation’s life. I’m sure most of the UP is pretty much unchanged from then.

Teal — very nice cabin.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Teal,
Thanks for the tour and story !

Wish I had something like that ..
Very nice !

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice cabin, Teal. No privy?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by roundoak
Nice cabin, Teal. No privy?

One holer about 20 yards off the deck to the left while facing the front of the camp. Good thing it was dug deep too because my brother tries to fill it up about every time he's up there. Guy needs stock in a papermill for TP.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Outdoor cookin...

Let them soak in salted ice water all day, on the grill and covered in butter. No better way to eat corn.

Picked up this grill set up at Iola car show. Like 75 bucks. Goes up and down on a pin and swi gs around for adjusting food without being right over the fire.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Me

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A old college friend moved back to UP and he invited me to hunt deer with him at his family farm. Shot some deer and grouse on a few occasions. Got introduced to the Da Youpers band music. Those guys are fun, but nuts.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Put the paper in a brown paper bag, and burn it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
84% of the UP is forested. Something like 8.5 million acres.

A guy can spend a lot of time exploring. Great fish, deer, grouse and woodcock.

You must have not been there in at least 15 years......wolves have populated most of the UP deer numbers are very low, grouse numbers have been going down and not with the normal cycle....
Wolves are ravaging what wildlife is left in the UP.....after this winter there will be a bucks only season again because of the winter and wolves.....

I'm there about 20 weekends a year. My family still lives there, we still hunt every Oct-Dec. I've yet to even see a wolf - camera or not. There were some around in the early 2000's but they "disappeared".

I routinely kick up grouse and last year was the best year, deer numbers we've had in a while.

The UP is not homogeneous. What happens in the Soo isn't the same as Iron or Dickinson or Delta county.

Just you saying no wolves tells me where you are Dickinson or Delta its predominately farm country also where the deer migrate to from the north in the winter....your area is good deer hunting you can even shoot anterless during gun season....always has been good....Hell...DNR gives out deer damage permits to farmers by the 1000's......the rest of the UP is in very bad shape because of the wolves with the deer and will never recover.....Western UP last year was 1 buck only because of low deer numbers cause by wolves ....
I was lucky the past 15 years I hunted everyday and never shot a buck less than a 8 points a few years not until the last couple day of December.....I've hunted and lived in the UP for the past 54 + years.....

Only reason I moved last year was because if I needed medical attention it was not available close by.....

Also fishing is OK but very hard to compete with the Indians using gill nets......around 14 years ago they were allowed to net every were in the UP.....also deer season open September 1 to January 1 with a gun for Indians and they can shoot 5 deer.....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hey Teal, Where is this one at?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Hey Teal, Where is this one at?

Pictured Rocks, sunset cruise

Me

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Les Cheneaux area is nice. Antique wooden boat show in August, Aldo Leopold festival in June. Check out the Apostle Island area NE Wisconsin too. Keweenau Peninsula is cool....waterfalls, mountain biking, craft beer, fishing, rock hounding. SW (Menominee and Dickinson) counties with UP farmland have a lot of deer. Three college towns: Sault Ste. Marie, Marquette, and Houghton/Hancock. The Soo has big locks on the St. Marys River and good fishing in parts of the river. Superior lakeshore from Munising to Grand Marais is nice. Whitefish point and Tahquamenon falls east of Grand Marais. Blueberry festival in Paradise,July? Winter snowmobiling is big....lots of clubs and public trails. Very few moose but growing black bear population.

Eastern UP has good ruffed grouse and woodcock hunting, some sharptail grouse. Deer hunting varies. Folks complain about wolves, but bad winter/early spring weather knocks the deer population down on a regular basis. Stream fishing for brookies and browns, and steelhead in season. Drummond Island at the far east end has extensive jeep/dirt bike trails as well as secluded quiet areas and some commercial infrastructure.

NW lower peninsula has some secluded areas, amazing beaches, state parks, but is more expensive. Better access to hospitals in Petoskey and Traverse City.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Would the UP, be God's country?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Lots of Michiganders...and others... think so. Winter can be hard if you don't snowmobile, ski, snowshoe or ice fish.

The tile field at our Les Cheneaux cabin freezes up. We have to wait for frost to leave the ground to flush. Another couple of weeks probably.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It is God's Country. My camp is in the central UP. Here’s some of the camp property and a few camp visitors. It’s a very special place.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Teal,
Nice cabin. Looks like a warm comfortable relaxing place to be. I am a Watersmeet - Land O Lakes boy a little to the West of you. One important question though: Is that bottle of Maker’s Mark in one of your 1st pics half full or empty? Always make sure you have an ample supply on hand, especially in your backwoods cabin.

Last edited by GAGoober; 04/09/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love the Cabin, Teal.

Did a job for Dodge up on the Keweenaw in January years back. They were testing all wheel drive on the ice at some facility ( can't remember the name) at the low end of the Peninsula. Crazy thing was it got warm the two weeks we were there and was no snow and the ice was melting. Got to drive all the way to the tip of the peninsula and all over. Did quite a bit of sight seeing due to the mild weather. Saw some of the places the posted pics were from including the lighthouse.

We did a lot of filming of Dodge vehicles while there. Big country with a lot of pole timber. Saw an enormous wolf that took up both lanes run across the road somewhere between Marquette and Keweenaw. Could not believe they got that big and fast. Some beautiful country. Marquette was nice from what I saw. Flew in and out of there. Ironically the day we were to fly out a big storm hit and we were stuck for three days.

I imagine a different kind of hunting as it was flatter that what I am used to. Do not recall any hardwoods. Besides browse, what do the deer eat up there? Deer were scarce from my experience. Might even need a compass in the big tracks.
Looked like a lot of little lakes and places ideal for a cabin like Teal's.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Probably one of the most interesting regions east of the Mississippi. The lakes look interesting to fish on and the woods are quite grand. Probably a good place to break out an old Marlin levegun, an Winchester 71, or an old Remington model 8. Trouble is I see plenty of those folks from Michigan and Wisconsin out here in Idaho come fall.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
“Porcupine Press” still around?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Probably one of the most interesting regions east of the Mississippi. The lakes look interesting to fish on and the woods are quite grand. Probably a good place to break out an old Marlin levegun, an Winchester 71, or an old Remington model 8. Trouble is I see plenty of those folks from Michigan and Wisconsin out here in Idaho come fall.

Plus 1

I love the West and nothing compares to it IMO but Michigan’s UP is about as good as it gets this side of the Rockies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GAGoober
“Porcupine Press” still around?

https://www.upmag.online/

Great little magazine/paper LOL

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,530
Posts18,530,914
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.