Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I've read that there's one aspect of the very top tier scopes, that really makes them worth their price.
There may well be other traits of these scopes, that users of them benefit from. But the ONE that I am
alluding to, to me, really DOES make their price worth it.
Why do you, who spend the money on the S&B, Swarovski or other expensive top tier scope believe
that the extra money is justified?
I'll post the reason that I'm thinking of, after some posts come in from you all. Thanks for what ever info
that you share.

Last edited by BigFiveJack; 04/09/22.

Jack

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Its all in the NAME!You know if you have a too ask you can`t afford it.Why do some watches cost $10,000 and Up????

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Accurate and repeatable adjustments, that will hold point of aim. Good glass is a plus.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
For me a scope becomes top tier when it proves reliable in function in the conditions it is intended to be used.

YMMV

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Clarity, tracking and most importantly, low light performance at dusk and dawn.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Tasco for the win.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tracking, accuracy of adjustment, consistency/repeatability, focus, parallax, durability, image quality, good customer service that rarely if ever is used.

Politics is War by Other Means
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Clarity, tracking and most importantly, low light performance at dusk and dawn.

Really? Low light performance is number one?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All about the glass for me.
BUT lots of other reasons as well.
Robust construction.
Reliable adjustments.
Tactile feel (ergonomics)
Eyebox
Accessories available

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Once you get past the $400 tier of scopes, they all have pretty decent focus and resolution. Probably not a 5% increase in these areas for a 500% increase in price.

I would not say the same for tracking.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I started hunting elk in about 1966 with a Model 88 Winchester in..308. It had a Bushnell Banner 4X scope on it. I believe it cost about $18. It didn't even have self centering reticles. I eventually used a Weaver V-7 , 2-7X that cost about $50. MY Model 70,.06 had it on for quite awhile until a fellow I took elk hunting gave me a Leupold 2-8X power. I had two of those V-7's and I used them on a few other rifles.I killed as many elk with that old Bushnell as I did with the Weaver or Leupold. I value a good set of binoculars more than a scope.

Probably the top dollar do have the attributes listed previously.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/09/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I value a good set of binoculars more than a scope.
So do I. That said, my 20 year old Pentax roof prisms have done an excellent job all this years and they still have lots of life left in them. My eyes are another matter.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Accurate and repeatable adjustments, that will hold point of aim. Good glass is a plus.

THE WINNER!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Drooling Fhuqktards are a HOOT!

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Houston_2
...most importantly, low light performance at dusk and dawn.

Houston we have Lift-Off !

THIS ability, to actually add some number of minutes per day, that you can shoot with confidence,
because you CAN SEE the animal's kill zone through the top quality glass of the scope. And these
two times of the hunting day, "dusky" minutes and "dawny" minutes, are when SO MANY animals
are moving! This is the dominant reason for spending the money on the top tier scopes IMO.

Last edited by BigFiveJack; 04/09/22.

Jack
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So, all of the attributes of the top dollar scopes: do the people doing the attribution "based on experience" them to a number of other scopes that are down the price line under identical conditions at identical times? Are these comparisons done a significant number of times? Are poor reports based on a "sample of one?" Or, are the attributions based on advertising and the opinions of those of like mind? Or is the old "you get what you pay for" school of thought coming into play? I am asking this in all seriousness; not just trying to pick a fight.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
LMAO

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BigFiveJack

Why do you, who spend the money on the S&B, Swarovski or other expensive top tier scope believe
that the extra money is justified?

I wouldn't include Swaro scopes in the list I'd spend more money for.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
And BS aside, those SWFA SS 300 dollar scopes fill the bill for all of the above. But tell the truth, aren't most of us sort of "scope snobs"?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My remarks are reserved for hunting purposes only, not competition or real-life sniping.

Most of my scopes would be considered to be in the Alpha category. Is the extra measure of value you get with them worth the extra money from a value to cost perspective, absolutely not.

I started out poor and when cheap variables first started hitting the market, they were unreliable and could not be counted on. Things have completely changed and you do not have to spend $1,000 or more to get a serviceable and reliable scope. There are lots of options out there.

There is not one shot I would have missed with a lesser scope in my 45 years of hunting except those in super low light conditions where I would not have been able to see the game with lesser scopes.
Is that worth $1000 or more in price, from an economics point of view, no.

Why do I prefer Alpha Scopes when I could save money with lesser scopes, purely preference. They put a smile on my face when I look through them and I love hunting with them.

I will also add this, Alpha scopes I paid well over a thousand dollars for in the 90's are still my most used and favorites. Alpha scopes are a lifetime investment.

Alpha Scopes are a luxury and option, not a necessity for most hunters.

But in low light, nothing beats them.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 04/09/22.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 338Rules, 35, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 16 invisible), 1,577 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,644
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.