Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

What is worth doing if you go there…. I’ve never through the of going to the UK… but I’m looking at where I want to travel, so far Spain & Paris….

Scotland ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Visit a number of distilleries and sample their best stuff.

1Minute
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've never been to Scotland but I have seen Braveheart quite a few times.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For Scotland, Highland or Lowland?

GOA
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It’s brilliant!

Edinburgh castle

Inverness

Culloden

Glencoe

Fort William.

The Isle of Skye

The Orkney Islands !! Tons of Viking and Neolithic history.

Lots of hunting and fishing opportunities if you are interested. Tons of cool hiking.

Excellent variety of beers.

Well worth a trip. I’ll be there this June.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Pretty cool place. Lots of castles. The highlands are beautiful and wild. Edinburgh is cool with a lot of history, visit the castle, St. Andrews if you're into Golf, etc. Do the whisky trail and stay at a bunch of B&B's, eat and drink at the local pubs. I liked Glamis Castle where the Queen Mother was from. Definitely do the Culloden battlefield. You've gotta have a car, it's rural and that's the only way to get around.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

A modern primer......

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Glasgow might be the easiest place in the world to get yet a$$ kicked, easier for the natives tho, visitors are cut some slack.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ugly women.

The Norwegians used to boat over once a year for over 1000 years and take back all the good looking ones.

I used to go over 4-5 times a year for work. I was at a bar in Aberdeen, and heard two women talking. I walked over and said, “I like your accent, are you two women from Scotland.” One of them responded, “Wales”. To which I responded, “I’m sorry, are you two whales from Scotland”.

Last edited by Stammster; 04/10/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I drove from Inverness to Cape Wrath back in 2006, to qualify the 5 inch guns on the USS Sullivans and whatever guns HMS South Hampton had. This was at the naval gunnery range there, outside of Durness. It is a really neat, laid back area. Nobody is in a hurry to do anything. A small museum is there dedicated to John Lennon. Smoo Cave was kind of neat too, but nothing too extraordinary.

I'd highly suggest a drive into the Highlands. It looks just like the scenes in Bravehart. There are small castle like structures from medieval times on the side of the road with no fence, no interpretive signs, nothing....in the US they'd be a state park or something. There, they're just there.

One caution (or high point, depending on your point of view). The strip clubs in Inverness have chicks dancing in cages with Rob Zombie playing. Creepy, but they're still hot as hell. A guy just has to be prepared for it, and the dudes drinking in dresses.

IC B3

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GRF
It’s brilliant!

Edinburgh castle

Inverness

Culloden

Glencoe

Fort William.

The Isle of Skye

The Orkney Islands !! Tons of Viking and Neolithic history.

Lots of hunting and fishing opportunities if you are interested. Tons of cool hiking.

Excellent variety of beers.

Well worth a trip. I’ll be there this June.

THIS, is why the Fire is a great place to be.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well I've never been to Scotland,
But I kinda like the whiskey...

Not really...can't stand scotch, but you might find some good Indian food. Go!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kilts!

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

+1 laugh

M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Went there in 2014 and hope to go back again. Lot of old history there.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've not seen a lot of Scotland. In and out of Macrihanish a few times, and been a guest twice at a hotel/bar in Campbeltown.

Once went down to the head of the peninsula, where supposedly you could see Ireland. All we saw was haze. Still a beautiful place.

I hear things have changed, but that area used to cater to the Brit military and their guests. The folk I met there are why I do not poke fun at or ridicule the British.
Respect...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting that the fur trading companies that existed in Canada ,Hudson bay company, Northwest company etc...had Scots as their Chief traders and their explorers were mostly Scots. Simon Fraser, Alexander Mackenzie, David Thompson.
Lots of Scots here in Canada.

There is a reason for that lol,, the last one standing is gonna be a red haired Scotsman....salute.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've never been to Scotland but it's on my short list of places I'd like to see.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My people on my maternal side hail from Scotland. Been there many times, starting when an infant. My Wee Muther, here stateside more than 55 years, still speaks to this day with a *thick* Glaswegian accent. Depending on what you want to do and see, Scotland can deliver delights and treasures. Know where you're going, however. As Birdy points out, Glasgow, perhaps especially from where my family comes from in the East End, Bridgeton Cross area of 'Glesga', well... be smart and beware lad. There still summas be demons aboot, especially when there's a bloody Rangers/Billy Boys mob assembled. Those lads can get *excited*.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In 1977 we saw the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo at the Edinburgh Castle. It was a great show. Visited a couple of other castles and spent some time in the Highlands. Very peaceful and quiet - until 4 Harrier jets at ground level popped over a ridge and nearly blew us off a path. Very impressive.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (22kHornet, 222Sako, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,601
Posts18,492,258
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.